Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Softest, Pothole-proof 19" tires without mods?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ David, I have a question. (I don’t think I’m jacking the Op’s thread since my question is related, and I believe we’ve already answered his question.)

Background Info: When I installed wider tires (for example I replaced my front 225/45-18” with 245/40-18”); I thought I noticed a significantly more comfortable ride, but did not sacrifice handling (in fact the handling improved).

My Theory: Since I felt a better ride with the wider tires (and of course the sidewall height is about the same comparing the two sizes), my conclusion is that the cubic volume of a tire can significantly contribute to ride comfort regardless of the sidewall height.

My Question: Do you think this is correct? (I searched here and in other places, but didn’t find definitive information or facts… So I really don’t know the answer, but I think my theory makes sense, and maybe the answer is obvious... but I'm not sure).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 03-25-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Ed Hardy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I might be missing your point since I don’t see anyone mention sidewall stiffness on this thread other than your comment and the comment about run-flat tires.
I agree with you for the most part. Someone had posted something to the effect of "going with a softer sidewall to protect their wheels." Made no sense, which is prob why they deleted their post. Another case where I should've quoted them

Anyways, I think you're right about the cubic volume or whatever the correct term would be. A wider tire means a larger contact patch. So, any force is distributed across a wider area than with a narrower tire. Width, sidewall height, rubber compound, sidewall stiffness will all effect how a tire handles bumps and potholes.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Ed, Thanks for the reply and explaining this.

I agree with your point that it’s probably best to respond to a “Quote” instead of my method of using “^^” since a poster sees their error and then deletes the original message (and the result is confusion).

I presented the question as a “cubic volume” premise since so many people ask if 19” wheels can match the ride comfort of 18” wheels. Of course the sidewall height is less with 19” wheels, but the majority of 19” wheel-buyers go with wider tires.

I noticed that wider tires (that consequently have more air volume) do result in a more comfortable ride. That is why I presented the question.

And… you provide a good response.

--Spike