Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Can someone tell me what PSI i should be running in my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 AM
allicedout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone tell me what PSI i should be running in my tires?

Hey guys I have a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE with 350Z track edition Rays rims. The Altima required 30psi up front and 33psi in the back for the stock set up, can someone tell me what stock setting is for the 350Z? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 AM
fatboy.yoshi

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2008-n...44#post3788619

post #35
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allicedout
Hey guys I have a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5SE with 350Z track edition Rays rims. The Altima required 30psi up front and 33psi in the back for the stock set up, can someone tell me what stock setting is for the 350Z? Thanks.
look on the label in the drivers side door frame and in your owner's manual. since you got them on your altima and the two cars have different weights, you need to use the pressure listed for your car. so the answer is 30 front/33 rear

now if you put them on a 350z the pressure will be 35 psi all 4. for future reference tire pressure is not wheel type specific, it is vehicle specific and based on the weight of the vehicle

Last edited by Z04; 04-03-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM
allicedout

Yea I thought that was the case, the front tires look low though so I thought i'd ask the question just to be sure, I'm also running a smaller tire to match my altima stock height. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM
bdblackz

Originally Posted by Z04
look on the label in the drivers side door frame and in your owner's manual. since you got them on your altima and the two cars have different weights, you need to use the pressure listed for your car. so the answer is 30 front/33 rear

now if you put them on a 350z the pressure will be 35 psi all 4. for future reference tire pressure is not wheel type specific, it is vehicle specific and based on the weight of the vehicle
This post is not completely true - the correct pressure to run tires at depends on the tire size as well as the load. The correct pressures are likely NOT 30/33 since you have a different sized tire now. To find out what that is you need to look it up in the tire and rim association's (TRA) p-metric tire tables, which unfortunately are not free
Old 04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04

^^
Originally Posted by bdblackz
This post is not completely true - the correct pressure to run tires at depends on the tire size as well as the load. The correct pressures are likely NOT 30/33 since you have a different sized tire now. To find out what that is you need to look it up in the tire and rim association's (TRA) p-metric tire tables, which unfortunately are not free
^^ So… you are saying that Z04’s advice is not correct? And… you suggest it might be necessary to pay $$ to acquire the correct psi specification for a specific tire on the Z?

I realize that some tire installers recommend different psi’s for various tires and wheel setups, but the truth is you’re safe following Nissan’s recommendation for the Z. As Z04 states, this information is in the Owner’s manual (and often stamped on the driver’s side door frame).

The right answer for psi on a Z is 34-36 psi on all corners, no matter what tires or wheels you have on your Z car. If you have a tire with a very stiff sidewall, 39 psi is OK (according to some other members here), but you will probably get there quickly in this case (stiff sidewall) when starting with a 35 psi.

--Spike
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OP post pics of said car.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 AM
Z04

maybe you should read this and maybe learn something

http://www.tiresafety.com/
(in the maintenance section)

Inflation Pressure
Proper inflation pressure is essential for achieving maximum performance and mileage. Improper tire inflation pressure can cause severe internal tire damage, which can lead to sudden tire failure and resulting in serious personal injury or death.Improper inflation pressure may result in rapid or irregular wear. Pressures should always be checked when the tires are cold and at least monthly. Under normal tire operation, approximately 1psi of tire pressure will escape every month. Also, for every 10 degrees F change in ambient temperature, tire pressure will change by approximately 1psi.

Vehicle manufacturers list recommended tire pressures for original vehicle tires in the owner's manual or on a placard on the end of the driver's side door or in the glove box.

For continuous high speed driving, tire pressures should be increased by 3 to 5psi above the normal cold inflation recommended.

However, for passenger tires, never exceed the maximum inflation pressure molded on the sidewall. The inflation pressure for light truck tires may exceed that molded on the tire by 10psi. Any recommended front to rear pressure differential should be maintained.

Recommended Inflation Pressure
Many people ask "what air pressures do you (meaning tire companies) recommend for cars under normal conditions?" The answer is "we recommend what the vehicle manufacturer recommends."

What criteria do the car manufacturers use to determine inflation recommendations
* Ride
* Load capacity
* Traction, wear
* Fuel economy/Rolling resistance

.....are all correct. But, consider another question: "Why did Ford recommend 30 in the front and 34 in the rear on a 1997 Crown Victoria?"

The additional air stiffens the sidewall and makes it more stable. In order to achieve the handling, tracking, and other driving characteristics, one of the things the manufacturer can do is balance front to rear handling by adjusting the tire pressures. In adding the same air pressure in the front as the rear you will change the handling characteristics from what the manufacturer intended. Quite a few station wagons and light trucks have different pressures for the front and rear. But, it's not just station wagons and light trucks; it's also Porsches, Nissans, Corvettes, Hondas, and BMW's to name just a few.

back on topic
OP you can probably get away with putting just a bit more into the tires and it should be ok. i run 245/50r18 on my altima coupe (wheels came off of a maxima) and keep the pressures according to the placard and never had any issues at all

Last edited by Z04; 04-04-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:48 AM
bdblackz

Originally Posted by Z04
maybe you should read this and maybe learn something

http://www.tiresafety.com/
(in the maintenance section)
Everything you posted is in regards to maintaining OE size and spec tires - not chaning to a different size/load rating.

But thanks for posting that link. From the same tiresafety website, read this:

http://www.tiresafety.com/images/Tir...t%20Manual.pdf

And maybe you might learn something

Page 22 under "Replacement Tire Section Manual - Specifying and Selling Substitute Tire Sizes":

STEP 6: DETERMINE INFLATION SUFFICIENT FOR LOAD
N. From a resource such as load/inflation tables in the Bridgestone or Firestone P/LT Data Book, increase the inflation pressure of the substitute tire size until the load recorded in (E) is equaled or exceeded. Record the inflation pressure for the substitute tire size that is sufficient to carry the load in (E). If the candidate tire cannot carry the load in (E), then another candidate substitute tire size must be selected (stop here and repeat STEPS 3-5).
O. Record the load capacity of the substitute tire size at the inflation pressure determined in (N).
and...

Notify the consumer of the new tire sizes and the new recommended inflation pressures. On the Substitute Tire Size Application form included on page A3 of this Technical Bulletin, fill in the appropriate vehicle information (year, make, model, and VIN), the OE tire sizes (A), and the OE recommended inflation pressures (B). Then fill in the new substitute tire sizes (F) and the new recommended inflation pressures (N). Explain to the consumer the possible effects of these tire changes and have him/her sign the form.
Basically you first check what load the new size can carry at the OE inflations. If it is too low, you increase the pressure until, according to the tables (I mentioned previously) the new size can carry that load. If the new size can not carry that load at a pressure below its max pressure rating, you will have to get a different size.

OP - be careful not to believe everything you read on the internet, especially on forums where people think they know what they're talking about. Find a source such as the tire safety link or someone in the industry and ask them.

Last edited by bdblackz; 04-05-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04

Agree. Go by the sticker on the door. Watch for uneven wear. Adjust pressure accordingly.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Spike100

Basically you first check what load the new size can carry at the OE inflations. If it is too low, you increase the pressure until, according to the tables (I mentioned previously) the new size can carry that load. If the new size can not carry that load at a pressure below its max pressure rating, you will have to get a different size.

I don’t think we talking about the same thing

Re:> “If the new size can not carry that load at a pressure below its max pressure rating, you will have to get a different size.”

You are referring to SUV’s, light trucks, and large and heavy luxury sedans (where load ratings are very significant between various types of tires depending upon the tire’s construction).

We’re talking about a small sport car fitted with suitable low-profile tires, and are not even close to considering maximum pressure rating. In fact I doubt you can buy a tire that goes past the maximum pressure rating that fits a Z’s OEM wheels.

--Spike
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
bdblackz

Originally Posted by Spike100
I don’t think we talking about the same thing

Re:> “If the new size can not carry that load at a pressure below its max pressure rating, you will have to get a different size.”

You are referring to SUV’s, light trucks, and large and heavy luxury sedans (where load ratings are very significant between various types of tires depending upon the tire’s construction).

We’re talking about a small sport car fitted with suitable low-profile tires, and are not even close to considering maximum pressure rating. In fact I doubt you can buy a tire that goes past the maximum pressure rating that fits a Z’s OEM wheels.

--Spike
Guys... this isn't that hard to understand and I'm not going to start arguing about it - I'm trying to help you out. Whether you listen or not is up to you. Please just read the document I posted - it applies for passenger tires and light truck tires.

You should never go to a different tire and just assume the OE pressures apply, especially when going to a very different size/construction. It does NOT just depend on vehicle weight, and you shouldn't eyeball it by tire wear.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Spike100

Guys... this isn't that hard to understand and I'm not going to start arguing about it - I'm trying to help you out. Whether you listen or not is up to you. Please just read the document I posted - it applies for passenger tires and light truck tires.

You should never go to a different tire and just assume the OE pressures apply, especially when going to a very different size/construction. It does NOT just depend on vehicle weight, and you shouldn't eyeball it by tire wear.
Here is your statement: “If the new size can not carry that load at a pressure below its max pressure rating, you will have to get a different size.”

Can you provide one example of a tire (size, type, construction, or anything) mounted on a Z that would ever go over the maximum tire pressure rating and thus require what you state: (“you will have to get a different size”)?

--Spike
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM
bdblackz

Here is your statement: “If the new size can not carry that load at a pressure below its max pressure rating, you will have to get a different size.”

Can you provide one example of a tire (size, type, construction, or anything) mounted on a Z that would ever go over the maximum tire pressure rating and thus require what you state: (“you will have to get a different size”)?

--Spike
Nope.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Z04

OP - be careful not to believe everything you read on the internet, especially on forums where people think they know what they're talking about. Find a source such as the tire safety link or someone in the industry and ask them.
that is the only useful advice you have stated in this thread.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Z04

--Spike
he can't because he has no clue WTF he was talking about. he seems to have missed this in the same document he is using for his "advice"

Under certain circumstances, a vehicle manufacturer may recommend or permit a specific optional tire size, type, inflation pressure, maximum speed, maximum load, etc.
�� Never select a tire with a smaller size, or with less load carrying capacity, than the tire specified on the vehicle tire placard.
�� Substitute tires should never be inflated below the pressure shown on the vehicle tire placard.
�� Never exceed the maximum load capacity and/or inflation pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire.
�� Never exceed the maximum load capacity and/or inflation pressure of the wheel.
�� Never utilize an unapproved wheel or one that does not meet the approved rim width range for the selected tire size.
�� Acceptable load capacity and/or overall tire diameter do not imply acceptable vehicle clearance. Body and chassis clearance must be checked on the vehicle's front and rear axles.
�� If a vehicle tire placard or vehicle owner's manual is not available, consult the vehicle or tire manufacturer for assistance.
so by saying that, you need to utilize the placard for your tire pressures. that is mentioned numerous times in this sheet as well. and the P/LT difference he quoted was referring to the difference between using the same tires on a light truck (LT) and a passenger (P) vehicle.

Last edited by Z04; 04-06-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
bdblackz

Z04 I know exactly what I am talking about because I happen to be a tire engineer. I deal with this stuff every day. Stop trying to find loop holes that aren't there - everything I have said is correct and published in plain English.

Sorry to the OP for sparking this childish reaction from a couple of posters.

Last edited by bdblackz; 04-06-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Z04

Z04 I know exactly what I am talking about because I happen to be a tire engineer. I deal with this stuff every day. Stop trying to find loop holes that aren't there - everything I have said is correct and published in plain English.

obviously not. but hey, you are the "expert" right? and i do not need to find any loop holes; it was all right there in plain english

Last edited by Z04; 04-06-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

--Spike
trying to name a specific tire would be a little tedious but to simple put it any tire with a load index of 87 or less would be unacceptable for the z. Any tire on the z should be able to carry at least 1200-1300lbs @ a psi level below max psi. to calculate the load more approximately you need the original oem tire specs.

if you have oem rims and buy exactly the same spec tires as oem, go with the stock recommended. if you changed out to different tires with a different load index spec and max psi spec than oem, then the psi you run will vary. you can call the tire manufacturer up and they'll figure it out for you. it will be different.

the document posted by bdblackz is helpful if one wishes to figure it out for themselves. looks like you just need to do some simple proportionality problems to get the correct psi.

lets put it another way. lets say someone here has new after market tires with a load index of 99 vs i believe stock was 96(rear). if you recommend that person to use the oem psi @ 35 and the max psi level for the new tire is 51. oem max psi was 40(IIRC).

the new tire is now carrying ~1196lbs @ 35psi
while the original oem tire was carrying ~1369 @ 35psi
to carry 1196 lbs with oem tire it needed ~30psi...

what i'm trying to say is to recommend what it says on the door jam to someone who is using a different tire spec is not correct @ that psi level their tire is actually under/over inflated. think about how many tire reviews have been done with under inflated tires now!

Last edited by Voboy; 04-06-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Spike100

You’re correct; we did get off-topic here. Adding comments to explain wheel/tire setups and swaps for light trucks and SUV’s was unnecessary and only muddles the answer.

So here’s allicedout’s original question (his question is simple and well-stated):
Originally Posted by allicedout
The answer is 34-36 psi on all tires.

And, that answer applies to any suitable and correctly sized tire for the Z, whether you place the tire on a 17”, 18”, or 19” wheel.

Leave it to an engineer to add a lot of confusion to something that is this simple. …Just kidding of course since your input is appreciated.

--Spike

Quick Reply: Can someone tell me what PSI i should be running in my tires?