Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Jimmybevis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I am about to replace my front tires (again) and would appreciate some input as to what to buy (or not to buy)

I have used the stock Bridgestone which suck, and the Michelin, which also feathered and wore out about 15,000 miles.

I have heard that the BFGoodrich are quiet (no roar) and a good tire. I plan on buying a lower rated tire (non directional) so I can rotate the front tires.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Jimmybevis

Default Tires

P.S. These are for a stock 2003 350z touring. No high performance driving (eg drifting, road race, etc.) They will be only for street driving and the ocassional weekend drags.

Tks
Old 04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by Jimmybevis
P.S. These are for a stock 2003 350z touring. No high performance driving (eg drifting, road race, etc.) They will be only for street driving and the ocassional weekend drags.

Tks
I have had OEM Bridgestone RE040, Bridgestone RE050A PP, and now I have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Comparing in those three, I love my new PS2 in both wet and dry.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The roar comes from feathering and is probably not brand or tire style related. The feathering is caused from not keeping your front end aligned. No matter which tires you buy, you'll have the feathering problem or tire wear problems without regular alignments.

PS2 are hard to beat but expensive. It really boils down to how much money do you want to spend.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmybevis

Tks
Search tirerack for ultra high performance tires. They should yield decent performance and treadwear.

PS2s are good, but pricey and do not last very long.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Originally Posted by Bevo
I have had OEM Bridgestone RE040, Bridgestone RE050A PP, and now I have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Comparing in those three, I love my new PS2 in both wet and dry.
How do you think the PS2s compared to the PPs?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
TJGILROY

i have General Exclaim UHP's on my 03 track...they are awesome and a very nice price

the tread is pretty cool,too

look them up...

General Tires
Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Here’s my take on this.

Summer performance tires (ultra, regular, whatever) are generally noisy for normal street driving. At slower speeds (that’s how we drive on public roadways… right? ) the hardened rubber on a summer performance tires makes some significant racket.

When you drive these tires faster, they heat and the rubber continuously softens to handle more extreme driving (i.e., summer performance tires continue to grip in a direct relationship to the car’s speed). In other words, summer performance tires tread design and compound-makeup is engineered to provide consistent handling over a wide range of speeds.

That’s not the case with general-purpose passenger tires, all-season tires, or snow tires. These tires are designed for street driving, and they work best at these speeds. The compound making up the tire is softer (for a more comfortable and quieter ride at “normal” speeds), but is not intended for use at higher speeds or aggressive cornering.

If you don’t track your car or run at higher speed, an all-season tire might be your best choice if comfort and a quiet ride is your preference.

If you drive hard and want a tire that performs consistently over a wide range of speeds, your best choice is a summer performance tire. The trade-off is more noise and less comfort at “street speeds.”

I’m not an expert, but I will say that if you decide to go with a summer performance tire, the Michelin PS2 is an excellent choice. It’s very quiet and comfortable for a summer performance tire, grips like glue on dry or wet. Its sidewall isn’t too soft or too hard, but just right.

There are some comments about wear on this thread, but my opinion is tire wear is directly related to the speed you drive your car. Summer performance tires (just like any tire) wear quickly when you drive hard (fast and hitting corners hard). If you drive a summer performance tire at street speed, you can expect decent longevity.

Of course my points are very arguable, and I invite other opinions.

--Spike
Old 05-02-2009, 02:41 PM
cougfan350

don't forget why does poop stink. lol Glad I didn't post one of these posts but am needing new tires. I just talk to other people who drive fast cars. Vettes, saleen mustangs and the like and sift threw their recommendations.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by cougfan350
don't forget why does poop stink. lol Glad I didn't post one of these posts but am needing new tires. I just talk to other people who drive fast cars. Vettes, saleen mustangs and the like and sift threw their recommendations.
Finding people to drive fast cars and people who own fast cars is different. Make sure you ask the people who drive fast cars.