Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Tire wear(seems drastic after 5k miles)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009 | 05:30 AM
zerafian

Default Tire wear(seems drastic after 5k miles)

I recently took my Z in to get its free oil change and found out my rear tires are down to 4/32's after only around 5k miles...Needless to say I was blown away.

I have a feeling its my toe but I baught rear camber arms that also came with a toe bolt back in Feb when I got my alignment. I got the shop to set my camber in the rear to -2 once I got the camber kit on and tires aligned. Im running 275s (Kuhmo ASX tires) on stock 18s as well. Oh and if it helps I have a 1.5" drop on the rear.

I guess a good question is when shosp to alignments does the toe get adjusted as well during it?

Part of me says that this tire wear is to be expected but I have put 45k miles on the car and only gone through 2 full sets of tires. Now on my 3rd and they are going fast.

Last edited by zerafian; 05-28-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2009 | 05:51 AM
ATX350

Old 05-28-2009 | 06:14 AM
zerafian

hmmm pics eh...I suppose if that might help I can toss one up...youll just see 2 tires with even wear on them...just the fact they have been worn down quickly is the issue.
Old 05-28-2009 | 06:23 AM
Entaille

5k miles and down to 4/32? do you drift and burn out everywhere you go? : P
Old 05-28-2009 | 07:02 AM
thekinn

Toe is part of an alignment, so yes, they should adjust it during an alignment. They should provide some sort of print-out of the alignment specs too. I assume you did not get one... sounds like you are paying for this crappy alignment twice. Once for a crappy job, and twice for new tires.

Unless you drive like a madman, of course.. then it's your own fault.
Old 05-28-2009 | 07:09 AM
davidv

Photos make threads interesting.

Kuhmo is not know for long lasting tires.

275 mm on OEM wheels. There are lots of OEM wheels. What size are they?
Old 05-28-2009 | 07:16 AM
zerafian

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:22 AM
zerafian

heres a pic of the rims I have on the car at the moment with the tires. Not close ups of the tread put you can see the rims I have. 18x8.5 in the rear

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:56 AM
davidmcc

I'm sure it's a PITA but you should definitely install the toe bolts. It's very possible that your toe could be out of alignment and that would be a huge contributor to premature tire wear.

This is cut and pasted from an article on proper alignment:

The vehicle's toe is one of the most critical alignment settings relative to tire wear. A toe setting that is just a little off its appropriate setting can make a huge difference in their wear. Consider that if the toe setting is just 1/16-inch off of its appropriate setting, each tire on that axle will scrub almost seven feet sideways every mile! Extend it out and you'll discover that rather than running parallel to each other, the front tires will scrub over 1/4-mile sideways during every 100 miles of driving! Incorrect toe will rob you of tire life.

...and while we're on the topic of toe alignment here's another photo to make the thread more interesting.

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:16 AM
davidv

A 275 mm tire on a 8.5 inch wheel should NOT adversely effect wear.
Old 05-28-2009 | 08:20 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by davidmcc
I'm sure it's a PITA but you should definitely install the toe bolts. It's very possible that your toe could be out of alignment and that would be a huge contributor to premature tire wear.

The vehicle's toe is one of the most critical alignment settings relative to tire wear. A toe setting that is just a little off its appropriate setting can make a huge difference in their wear. Consider that if the toe setting is just 1/16-inch off of its appropriate setting, each tire on that axle will scrub almost seven feet sideways every mile! Extend it out and you'll discover that rather than running parallel to each other, the front tires will scrub over 1/4-mile sideways during every 100 miles of driving! Incorrect toe will rob you of tire life.

...and while we're on the topic of toe alignment here's another photo to make the thread more interesting.

Good post. Sometimes you can see the “scrub” from improper toe on the edges of the tire. Sometimes not.
Old 05-28-2009 | 08:40 AM
zerafian

when you break it down that way...I start to wonder how bad the toe may really be...ugh.

The toe bolt is installed though. Is it possible it was a poor alignment. Stupid *** me didnt get the print out of the results of it so I can take blame for not knowing the results like I should.
Old 05-28-2009 | 01:57 PM
guitman32

1. We need your alignment sheet. Without it, we're all just speculating.

2. Post pics of the actual tire. If you can't post pics of your actual tire, then describe the wear in detail. What side of the tire (e.g. inner, outter), is there any distinguishable wear pattern on the tire (e.g. is the wear angled, is the front side of each tread block more worn than the rear), characteristics of the wear pattern (e.g. width), etc

Help us help you!!
Old 05-28-2009 | 03:35 PM
zerafian

alrighty, here are pics of the tires. It also seems the rear left is wearing a little faster then the right...which irritates me even more.
Old 05-28-2009 | 03:36 PM
zerafian

On a side note...my front tires still look brand spanking new...dont really thing thats a surprise though..jsut figured I would note that in the thread
Old 05-28-2009 | 04:36 PM
davidmcc

what psi are you running in your tires?

A lot of times when tires are worn more down the center as yours are it indicates that the tire is overinflated.
Old 05-28-2009 | 06:11 PM
zerafian

when the put them on in FEB...they had about 42-46 psi for about 1 month...I assumed since the shop did decent work and worked on Z's before they would know to stick around 34 psi..ever since they have been at 34-35 psi.

As for the alignment sheet..I was a dumb sh*t and did not ask for it. Obviously in hine site I wish I would have but theres nothing I can do but live and learn from that alignment job.
Old 05-28-2009 | 06:43 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by davidmcc

Toe is the tire killer, not camber...pay more attention to that when getting alignment. Strange that the most wear is right down the middle....uncommon of misaligned suspension.
Old 05-29-2009 | 07:41 AM
zerafian

bump for anyone elses opinion....It looks like I'll be getting another alignment though..this time with printed out results. I'll be sure to post it once I get it just in case anyone that was curious about my toe to begin with.

Last edited by zerafian; 05-29-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2009 | 08:07 AM
maximus108

I was in the same boat as you.

I bought new tires then lowered my car by 1 inch and after just 10,xxx miles the inside of my rear tires were bald.
I got a camber kit and then an alignment. After about 4,xxx miles the whole tire was bald. I'm guessing that this is normal since it happened to you too.
I bought some used Potenzas to last me until the front ones go.

You should just replace your bald tires and get an alignment again.

I've got about 10,xxx miles on the replaced rear tires and they're wearing out fine.

Quick Reply: Tire wear(seems drastic after 5k miles)