Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Low Tread = Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen331
After driving my car again last night, the noise is simply there when i'm rolling around 5mph. I should have clarified, that the noise is there even when i'm simply ROLLING to a stop. Under slight acceleration, the noise reappears, only to disappear after I start going faster then 5 mph.

I left my car in second gear yesterday, and was rolling around the parking lot going around 5-10 mph, and the clicking was coming from both sides, left and right. Sometimes, the noise is concerted, and at other times, one wheel will click first...followed by the other.

I'm starting to think it has something to do with my wheel bearings? I've heard those don't usually go out until later on, but I'm guessing I could have premature wear. Not sure if the aftermarket wheels caused the bearings to go out prematurely, but can anyone give their input on this?

I'm going to try swapping rear wheels first next week to begin this process of elimination.
Bad wheels bearings make a grinding noise. Easy to detect. Just spin the wheel. It will not spin freely.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Bad wheels bearings make a grinding noise. Easy to detect. Just spin the wheel. It will not spin freely.
I agree. Bad wheel bearings are obvious since the car starts to track poorly, and the sound is grinding and not clicking (as you point out). Your suggested test is the best way to detect this.

--Spike
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Allen331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE

Took the car to the dealership and drove my car with the tech inside so he could take a look himself. He said that the noise my car was making didn't sound like the axle-click that he's heard from the earlier models. We brought the car back into the service bay, and got the car up in the air. From here, we started slowly accelerating in the air...and much to my surprise, there was no noise whatsoever. Nothing coming from the axle area, everything ran perfectly.

This was rather surprising because if the axle was clicking, it would've made the noise regardless if the wheels were on the ground or in the air. So we took the wheels off, and lubed the axle per the nissan TSB. We also changed out one of the wheel bearings just to make sure it wasn't faulty. I couldn't replace the passenger side because they only had one left at the dealership.

After getting the car back on the ground, the car was still making the noise. Because the noise was nowhere to be found while the car was in the air, we can conclude that the noise is definitely not coming from the axle. Changing one of the wheel bearings didn't seem to improve anything either. The only thing left for me to do is swap out my tires. If the noise persists, I'm going to have the dealership order another wheel bearing for me to replace my passenger side.

Does anybody else have an idea what this could be? I'll keep you guys posted about the consequences of changing my tires. Hopefully that will cure the noise, because if it doesn't, i'm going to have tons of fun looking for this annoying noise.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM
billsrcursed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a co-worker who had a very small pebble hop into his rim (not sure that this is even possible with Z rims, if you're stock, etc) that caused this noise. Once he sped up, the velocity caused the pebble to not move and thus the noise disappeared. While driving slowly, however, it made a "clicking" noise. Dealership found it, removed, and no more noise.

That's all I got.... good luck!