Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Low Tread = Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Allen331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Tread = Noise?

So I searched and didn't find anything that answered my question. Anyhow, my bridgestone RE050As are pretty low on tread now, and i've noticed a slight clicking noise coming from inside the rear wheel area. This noise is only heard when the car is moving around 5mph. Anything above that, the noise disappears. It also only happens when i'm moving forward. I tried rolling backwards, and there is no sound.

My question is...is this noise coming from the fact that the tire is low on tread? I've tightened all the bolts after my coilover install, and the sound is still there. Anybody else experience something similar to this?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 AM
CancerJCCz

Axle Clicking?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Allen331

I thought about that, but found it rather unlikely because my car is pretty new. Not sure how I would go about alleviating that problem, but would it simply require adding lubricant?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the axle click, they tighten the bolts. The dealer should do it for free.

I've had almost bald RE050As a few times, and did not have this noise.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Allen331

Thanks for the info! I've been reading up on axle clicking issues on driver, and they're saying that had to pull out the entire axle to grease it up or something along those lines. Could you maybe elaborate some more as to what the dealership would be doing so I don't get shafted when I go please?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...rear-axle.html
Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't it obvious. Get some new tires.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
I think that he is describing the "axle-click problem." That is not fixed with new tires.

--Spike
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Allen331

Originally Posted by davidv
Take your sarcasm elsewhere. You have nothing else better to do but sit behind a computer screen and make yourself feel like you've accomplished something by replying with what you think are sly remarks, when in actuality you are nothing but a fool. With your 25,000+ post, try actually contributing something to this forum.

It was an issue I couldn't figure out from searching or simple process of elimination. The axle clicking seems to be the culprit, so now I know. Thanks for all the help people
Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Spike100

^^ Thanks for the update. That's helpul to the readers on your thread.

I doubt that davidv will respond. He rarely extends this courtesy. He usually provides a single comment on a thread, and not much more.

--Spike
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen331
Take your sarcasm elsewhere. You have nothing else better to do but sit behind a computer screen and make yourself feel like you've accomplished something by replying with what you think are sly remarks, when in actuality you are nothing but a fool. With your 25,000+ post, try actually contributing something to this forum.

It was an issue I couldn't figure out from searching or simple process of elimination. The axle clicking seems to be the culprit, so now I know. Thanks for all the help people
Figured that you had been a member for 4 years, and were aware of the rear axle clicking service bulletin. Besides is the sevice bulletin even applicable to the 2008?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Allen331

^Not too sure. I've yet to swap my tires, but I doubt that that's the problem. What's odd to me is that the noise only happens when moving forward...and not reverse. You would think that the axle would click in either direction right?

I'm going to have more time next week to bring it into the dealership. I did some searching regarding the axle clicking issue, and the member removed his axle-clicking video from youtube, so I can't even compare the noise anymore. It has seemingly become louder over the last few weeks since i've first heard the noise.

Reading the TSB, it mentions that the noise comes when "accelerating from a stop." The noise I'm getting is mostly heard when coming to a stop, which is opposite of what the TSB is saying. Any ideas?

Before I actually bring it to the dealership, can anybody else give their input? Thanks again in advance for the replies.

Last edited by Allen331; 06-07-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Blazemaster

I've heard a similar noise on my 04 as well. But usually only from hard acceleration from stops. Under normal acceleration it's usually quiet. I'm already at my 56K miles, so I won't even bother taking mine to the dealership because they will rape on the labor anyways.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Spike100

… Reading the TSB, it mentions that the noise comes when "accelerating from a stop." The noise I'm getting is mostly heard when coming to a stop, which is opposite of what the TSB is saying. Any ideas?...
Of course it not likely you will hear a “clicking” noise from your tires. And, it appears that the noise you notice may not match the service bulletin from Nissan for “clicking axle.”

So, the next thing to check is your brakes, especially since you notice “The noise I'm getting is mostly heard when coming to a stop, which is opposite of what the TSB is saying.” The clicking could be something from your calipers, or even pads that are loose or not installed correctly.

--Spike
Old 06-07-2009, 03:12 PM
singh

My cousin's 04' G coupe has a clicking sound as well. It's really obvious, it does it every time he accelerates from a stop. Been like that ever since he bought it used from a dealership about a year ago.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:16 PM
singh

and by the way the noise is not coming from your tread. I have over 23,000 miles on my Potenza's and not a single issue. Still can put about another 2-3,000 miles on them.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by singh
My cousin's 04' G coupe has a clicking sound as well. It's really obvious, it does it every time he accelerates from a stop. Been like that ever since he bought it used from a dealership about a year ago.
The problem you describe and the service bulletin you reference is for 2003-2004 models (as is your cousin's car).

The OP, Allen331, has a 2008 model. He wisely asks about his model car, but not your cousin's 2004 model.

--Spike
Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Allen331

After driving my car again last night, the noise is simply there when i'm rolling around 5mph. I should have clarified, that the noise is there even when i'm simply ROLLING to a stop. Under slight acceleration, the noise reappears, only to disappear after I start going faster then 5 mph.

I left my car in second gear yesterday, and was rolling around the parking lot going around 5-10 mph, and the clicking was coming from both sides, left and right. Sometimes, the noise is concerted, and at other times, one wheel will click first...followed by the other.

I'm starting to think it has something to do with my wheel bearings? I've heard those don't usually go out until later on, but I'm guessing I could have premature wear. Not sure if the aftermarket wheels caused the bearings to go out prematurely, but can anyone give their input on this?

I'm going to try swapping rear wheels first next week to begin this process of elimination.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Spike100

After driving my car again last night, the noise is simply there when i'm rolling around 5mph. I should have clarified, that the noise is there even when i'm simply ROLLING to a stop. Under slight acceleration, the noise reappears, only to disappear after I start going faster then 5 mph.

I left my car in second gear yesterday, and was rolling around the parking lot going around 5-10 mph, and the clicking was coming from both sides, left and right. Sometimes, the noise is concerted, and at other times, one wheel will click first...followed by the other.

I'm starting to think it has something to do with my wheel bearings? I've heard those don't usually go out until later on, but I'm guessing I could have premature wear. Not sure if the aftermarket wheels caused the bearings to go out prematurely, but can anyone give their input on this?

I'm going to try swapping rear wheels first next week to begin this process of elimination.
I'm wonderiong why you think swapping the rear wheels would provide a solution for the "clicking?"

--Spike
Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Allen331

^ I've heard people complaining of noises coming from the rear as the tires near the end of their life. I honestly doubt that that's the case here, but if I'm going to rule things out one by one, I might as well take every step.

Quick Reply: Low Tread = Noise?