Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Official Aggressive Wheels & Fat Tires Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Kingbaby, you do realize that many time attack cars have custom sub-frame, hubs, moved pick-up points, etc. These allow them to make drastic changes while maintaining optimal geometry. Most of those mods are illegal in most (certainly not all) amatuer racing. There is also substantial cost in terms of resources (both monetary and intellectual) to get those cars to work right. The Z handles very well. On top of the hardware changes....many of those cars have hacked off the fenders and molded in wider flares (but you know this)...
of ******* course I know this... I'm laughing between us not at you in anyway...

this is also why I'm surprised you guys shun these types of actions...

like it's sacrilegious
Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

The cost involved in doing it right is astronomical......that's why most are so quick to dismiss it. You aren't going to have a car that handles, in my definition, worth a damn that is lowered 4" on stance coilovers and a set of SPC rear camber arms........which seems to be the thinking for most.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

ah

great we agree to agree...

...You aren't going to have a car that handles, in my definition, worth a damn that is lowered 4" on stance coilovers and a set of SPC rear camber arms........which seems to be the thinking for most.
that's the misconception!

quality parts play a role too when going lower..
Old 02-21-2011, 01:28 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
hmmmm...bumpy...all the tracks?.....hmmmm

so there is no time attack events?

I'm sure timeattack cars are lower than me, and more purposely built...

so again your avoiding what some of us here are trying to achieve...

stance with a purpose!

I know he is but in the end all his weight is still at stock hieght...

defeats the purpose kinda...
My car is quite lowered; I have the exact numbers at home. My avatar picture was taken under braking - look at the pointer cone on the left of the picture and you can put it together.

Name:  Marina-8-28-10_greenZ.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  75.1 KB

Here is the car under constant throttle:

Name:  scotts300_autox-resized.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  30.7 KB

If it goes any lower, it will scrape in the front under high-G turns (cuz there's that much grip!)

Most of the time trial cars here have some wheel gap....There are some smoother tracks, but the majority are bumpy. You can't build a car to suit one or two circuits....it needs to work everywhere.
This is an issue for me as well. Buttonwillow is pretty bumpy, as is one of our autox locations. Even though tracks like Laguna Seca and Thunderhill are relatively smooth, their berms are high, and people have bottomed out the suspension travel before by riding over them. This causes a highly-unpredictable, dynamic situation. I have seen cars spin at 120mph from this very same thing (on Koni yellows, not the DAs).

Last edited by scotts300; 02-21-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 08panna
i was bored so i thought i would figure this out. i did an autocad drawing of 1, 3 and 4 degrees along with how far the wheel pushes. stock at 1 degree is about 0.38" so subtracting that from the 1.19" and 1.53", we get 0.81"(18.71mm) and 1.14"(29.08mm) of a push at 3 and 4 degrees, respectively. so basically measure your current distance from top of wheel to fender and see how much more you want.

ninja edit: this is all theoretical and does not account for how the tire acts under weight. just something to think about. oh, and the drawing is in mm
You'll actually only gain half of the distance you show there between the fender lip and the top edge of the tire..

You're measuring from the bottom of the tire to the top, but you're forgetting that the bottom of the tire will also move outward the same amount as the top moves in, therefore doubling your measurement.

You need to measure from a fixed reference point to get the actual clearance number change between the top of the tire and the fender.

If you set your reference point to the vertical center point of the outer edge of the wheel at 0 degrees, then adjusted the camber with that reference point attached you'd be golden.

GOOD IDEA though, I've actually sat down and done this math before to figure out this very thing. Nice to see it "on paper" so to speak.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
350Z_Al

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
This causes a highly-unpredictable, dynamic situation. I have seen cars spin at 120mph from this very same thing (on Koni yellows, not the DAs).
Agreed. I've had my car setup too low at a rough Auto-X track and the car was borderline undriveable because of how unpredictable the suspension was.. It sucked!

Driving slammed is great, until you need to perform in a corner that has any kind of bumps. Then it's not so fun.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Scott I know your car and was poking fun at the pic...

was tryna type fast and keep the thread going...

disregard statement
Old 02-21-2011, 01:39 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Another thing to keep in mind is cars with aero will go lower and lower as they get faster.....
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

my front bumper can attest to this...
Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
King so you cut the inside and then hammered it as flat as possible? U guys lit a fire in my A$$...lol I'm going to go measure how big of spacer I need to push it out more, lol...

ok here's a question if anyone knows,

Every -1 camber frees up how many mm?

U get my question, lol

Also Toby I'm sure hounding know what camber you were @ huh??? Nut can u give me an estimate
King you too, give me an estimat of @ what camber ur @????

I think I'm going to push it too -3
What do you guys think? Too much or too little???

Needs some answers fast so I can order the spacers and get this shot done...lol

Oh and right now I'm around -1/-1.5 camber with 25mm offsets,

I don't remember exactly the camber spec, maybe -2 idk lol... I'm going to measure this bish right now..lmao

camber was set at -2.4 out back.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by Nexx
wait, this isnt the hellaflush thread?
apparently it's the track thread
Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
08panna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bad al lol I was curious myself so I did that drawing real quick before the end of work lol I actually have no experience with lowering and real negative camber. Although, I am goint to get some tanabe GF210s here in the spring so ill start to dabble in alignment here soon
Old 02-21-2011, 02:36 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Toby-22,
I am guilty of skimming through the posts, but is anyone really bashing the more aggressive wheels? Whether you (or I) like it.....this thread is all encompassing for larger tire applications at this point. Lets just realize that it is now more of a fat tire thread.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KingBaby
ah

great we agree to agree...

that's the misconception!

quality parts play a role too when going lower..
Please explain to me how quality parts help when dropping the car that low and upsetting everything Nissan spent millions researching on. Just curious.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
Please explain to me how quality parts help when dropping the car that low and upsetting everything Nissan spent millions researching on. Just curious.
Agree.....you could have 4-way JRZ's, but if you are dropped 4" (even on desired spring rates)....it would still not likely be all that good.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Toby-22

Toby-22,
I am guilty of skimming through the posts, but is anyone really bashing the more aggressive wheels? Whether you (or I) like it.....this thread is all encompassing for larger tire applications at this point. Lets just realize that it is now more of a fat tire thread.
Agree.....you could have 4-way JRZ's, but if you are dropped 4" (even on desired spring rates)....it would still not likely be all that good.
bcs of this^, seems like this should be a track thread rather than "AGGRESSIVE wheels/Fat tires" thread. someone post/talks about actually being aggressive in terms of fitment (which is what this thread is about) and someone would come in and say "it ruins the cars intended purpose". It's a car, it gets people from point A to point B. it's a sports car not a race car. sports cars are also suppose to look good and grab people's attention.

this is about looks, if you want "function" in terms of track, theres a track thread for that. This thread's intended purpose is to show that fat tires on AGGRESSIVE wheels can look good. why would anyone want to go with fat tires when people on the stretch thread is doing a better job? then you guys biiitch and moan as to why everyone is going stretch...bcs they show the general public it LOOKS good and it gets attention. Unfortunately in this thread it's all about "track function" and being "conservative" for minimum effort. it's boring and nobody will care....reason everyone is jumping the stretch band wagon.

Originally Posted by Ecsta_Z
Here are my fatty's 255/40/r18 front 285/40/r18 rear. Rota P45Rs 18x9.5 all around

^take this guy for example, the standards in this thread is so low he actually thinks he's aggressive. a random guy that just bought his Z would think "hmm that looks just like my stock Z, why would i spend money and look just like any other Z on the road. but whats up with those nice stretched/slammed Zs? i've never seen anything like that in person. i think i'll join in on the fun".

i don't think my car is better than anyones, i honestly respect track setups, but this thread needs direction IMO.

Last edited by Toby-22; 02-21-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by 0jiggy0
bcs

quality parts > not quality parts

it's a 350z not a f430
Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Frankly, the thing that turns me off to the other tire thread is the pure surliness its 12-15 posters have towards those cars which are "borderline". I am glad that is kept to a minimum in here. I disagree also that this thread is about looks.....there will always be a function advantage to the "fatter" tires...why not emphasize it here. I have thought about starting a pic thread in the track forum, but haven't yet.

As far as the above quote of me....I was just continuing the discussion/bickering b/w king, myself, and others. It doesn't warrant any further discussion in here, though....at least in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM
Toby-22

Frankly, the thing that turns me off to the other tire thread is the pure surliness its 12-15 posters have towards those cars which are "borderline". I am glad that is kept to a minimum in here. I disagree also that this thread is about looks.....there will always be a function advantage to the "fatter" tires...why not emphasize it here. I have thought about starting a pic thread in the track forum, but haven't yet.

As far as the above quote of me....I was just continuing the discussion/bickering b/w king, myself, and others. It doesn't warrant any further discussion in here, though....at least in my opinion.
respectable opinion. good points as well. and i dont care if you argue with another member, thats part of having a good thread.

i guess we agree to disagree then...
Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm going to go cry in a corner because the people who jump from fad to fad aren't going to like what I like.

Quick Reply: Official Aggressive Wheels & Fat Tires Thread