Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

question about desired offsets

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
krono

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question question about desired offsets

if you dont feel like reading wall of text just read the red text.

Hey guys, i really really really hate to beat a dead horse on the matter but ive searched as much as i could as there is alot of mixed reviews and after everythign i read i found out today i still dont understand anything about this topic. here goes.

i was under the impressions that the bigger the offset the deeper the rim was. i found out today while i was looking for some sf-challenges that its the opposite way, the bigger the offset the more shallow the rim is (i hope im wording this right)

Basically i was looking for 20/25 offset. Will these fit the car without having to modify my fenders, i dont want to have my tires rubbing. if this does fit my next question is, what is the lowest offsets i can go without modifying my fenders or whats the ballpark of having your fenders "rolled" (again i hope i have the terminology right).

lol hopefully the terms im using are slight proof that i have tried looking this up without having to bother everyone with this crap again. Maybe we can get a sticky explaining offsets and the effects on the car cause it would sure help peopel who dont know Jack like me. Thanks a million once again guys

dont know if this matters but i have the 08 base model (350z).

Again thanks a million and feel free to flame me cause i know i probably deserve it for even wanting to buy rims and not knowing about this.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 PM
redlude97

fitment is dependent on width, offset, tire size/brand, ride height, and alignment settings. We need more info
Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure about deeper wheel. Offset determines the position of the wheel.

Will these fit? Use a offset calculator.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL @ lazies' read the red text only...
Old 07-31-2009, 05:44 AM
krono

Originally Posted by davidv
Not sure about deeper wheel. Offset determines the position of the wheel.

Will these fit? Use a offset calculator.

thats exactly what confuses me, at first i was under the impression that the offset determined the positioning of the wheel which is why someone would need spacers right? well ive had other people tell me it affects the depth of the rim in terms of the spokes. . . I guess this issue is always being discussed cause there are too many people talking about it that dont know wtf they are talking about.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:10 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krono
thats exactly what confuses me, at first i was under the impression that the offset determined the positioning of the wheel which is why someone would need spacers right? well ive had other people tell me it affects the depth of the rim in terms of the spokes. . . I guess this issue is always being discussed cause there are too many people talking about it that dont know wtf they are talking about.
Width and offset determine "fit." If the wheel-tire clears the suspension and fender, it fits.

EDIT: Discussions are generally about looks. What "looks good" is subjective.

Last edited by davidv; 07-31-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:22 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Krono... What do you want to acheive? I know exactly where to get your
fenders rolled (you'll likely need this for any significant setup), and have dealt
with most of the ******** already. What rims do you want and how much do you
want to spend. We'll go from there.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 AM
krono

ok i researched a little bit more based off some of the stuff you guys have told me, basically it seems like the last thing i need to know is what tires im going to be using and i should be able to know if im goign to clear stock specificatons without rubbing. I'll post it in a sec.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:35 AM
krono

Originally Posted by lgear080
Krono... What do you want to acheive? I know exactly where to get your
fenders rolled (you'll likely need this for any significant setup), and have dealt
with most of the ******** already. What rims do you want and how much do you
want to spend. We'll go from there.

hey lgear, basically this is what i want to achieve

Rims:Volk SF-Challenge 19x9.5(front) 19x10.5(Rear) (not mentioning offset cause i want to know whats the lowest i can go without rubbing, or if i have to roll my fenders then i need to know that too before i decide)
Looks: i like the deep dish look and i want my wheels to lay flush against the body of the car. (by flush i mean the edge of the rim flush with the car and of course i want absolutely no rubbing (who does? lol)

I got a really good quote on the rims so now im starting to look at tire packages and as far as paying to have the fenders rolled, if i have to i will, i dont like to do things half azz (you'll see when i finish my audio set up).
Old 07-31-2009, 06:48 AM
krono

This is the look im trying to go for. Maybe a picture of what i want my end result be is more helpful. I just dont know if i will get rubbing at that height even if you roll the fenders

Originally Posted by prstriker04

ssr sp1's
19x10 front 24offset 245/35
19x10.5 rear +5 245/35
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 AM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krono
hey lgear, basically this is what i want to achieve

Rims:Volk SF-Challenge 19x9.5(front) 19x10.5(Rear) (not mentioning offset cause i want to know whats the lowest i can go without rubbing, or if i have to roll my fenders then i need to know that too before i decide)
Looks: i like the deep dish look and i want my wheels to lay flush against the body of the car. (by flush i mean the edge of the rim flush with the car and of course i want absolutely no rubbing (who does? lol)

I got a really good quote on the rims so now im starting to look at tire packages and as far as paying to have the fenders rolled, if i have to i will, i dont like to do things half azz (you'll see when i finish my audio set up).

If you want them to sit flush, with a deep dish and no rubbing, you have to get your fenders rolled... if your car is lowered like the black z pictured above. These fitments should be good for you and you can achieve what you want to do:

Fronts: 19x9.5 +17 offset w/ 245/35 tires
rears: 19x10.5 +18 offset w/ 275/35 tires

You can go with a +22 offset all around but it won't sit as flush as a +17 offset but you may get away with not rolling your fenders. all depends on how much you are lowered.

Last edited by JMS71585; 07-31-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by JMS71585
If you want them to sit flush, with a deep dish and no rubbing, you have to get your fenders rolled... if your car is lowered like the black z pictured above. These fitments should be good for you and you can achieve what you want to do:

Fronts: 19x9.5 +17 offset w/ 245/35 tires
rears: 19x10.5 +18 offset w/ 275/35 tires

You can go with a +22 offset all around but it won't sit as flush as a +17 offset but you may get away with not rolling your fenders. all depends on how much you are lowered.
you can't even get those offsets for the challenges.
You'll want 19x9.5+15 19x10.5+23 rear if you don't want to roll
If you are willing to roll your fenders you can go 19x9.5+15 and 19x10.5+11, or the 19x9.5+3f instead of the +15 for a more flush fit.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my personal suggestion to go with redludes suggested offsets. Are you
100% sure you want challenges? I always like to double check. It is my personal
suggestion you invest in te's. Wheels are VERY pricey and hard to resell.
You should go as deep as possible the first time around. I have owned many
different setups, but te's always seem to be the best bet.

I think the +3 is a bit much as my +12 front is just perfect, hence the +15 should
do the job. We'll have to get you rolled up though, which you should do BEFORE
the wheels show. I can also help you get the CHEAPEST tires in Miami. Pm me
and we'll chat for a moment.