Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Used Volks overpriced???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:33 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago you could probably get away with a good deal because everyone was buying new wheels left and right. People are no longer unloading wheels quite as fast anymore so used ones go up.

You either..
1.) Buy used.
2.) Get lucky with a dealer who has them on hand
3.) Order....wait...wait...and wait until that "trend" "fad" "new variant" goes out of style.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by Yancy
I just sold a set of used gunmetal Volk GT7's with lugs, center caps, and good tires for $1650. You should be watching the marketplace section for stuff like this.

I've always tried to be fair with my pricing and generally ask for about 50% of the new cost. I've always sold my stuff fairly quickly by doing this. I have noticed, however, some people ask way too much for their used stuff.
Yes, im planning on selling my nismo lmgt4 soon and im gonna let it go for around 50% off the new cost. I dont care if its discontinued or if it comes with tires cuz people is gonna buy it for the rims not the worn out tires. Its used, ima reduce the price by a lot, thats how it is lol. And $1.6k is a GREAT deal for used volks. Wat size were they?

Last edited by Toby-22; 08-03-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by scotts300
Ebay warranty? Don't make me fall over from laughing. Which Nexen's are you looking at? They don't offer many sizes from what I've seen. I see them for about $175/tire in the 275/30/19 (I'd prefer 35 series, but they don't make one), but I don't know what you'd put on the front. Don't forget about 100 bucks to mount/balance them. I'd rather a set of Michelin PS2 tires - already mounted and balanced - with 10k miles on them than any Nexen, Conti Sport Contact, or other budgetier tire brand.

Look at my Volks, riding on Chinhowwang budget tires.
Nexens are great tires if you want that stretched look. They are cheap but are good enough for DD and if bought in a set of 4 they are cheaper than $175 each. Also u can get top name used 19'' tires with 35series sidewall for cheaper. I dont track my car maybe once a year so im not after the best performance tires. Plus i have two friends that can mount tires for me for free and a lot of people i know have hook ups with tire mounting.

BTW im running PS2 tires now and theyre really nothing to brag about

Last edited by Toby-22; 08-03-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JPE22

BTW im running PS2 tires now and theyre really nothing to brag about
What are you using as a barometer to compare them to? Meaning, what tires would you brag about?

Maybe because you bought your PS2s for $100 a piece off of Ebay. Check the tire production date - I bet it's 2003.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Done Deal DR

The 18s were picked up, yes. They had a quality tire, the Falken Azenis RT615 on them. They had about 6k miles on them. The rears were about ready to be replaced, the fronts were good. They sold in 3 days for my asking price, so I think they were priced quite fairly.

Agreed. I sell quality used tires, and they sell like hotcakes for $350-400 per pair.

Ebay warranty? Don't make me fall over from laughing. Which Nexen's are you looking at? They don't offer many sizes from what I've seen. I see them for about $175/tire in the 275/30/19 (I'd prefer 35 series, but they don't make one), but I don't know what you'd put on the front. Don't forget about 100 bucks to mount/balance them. I'd rather a set of Michelin PS2 tires - already mounted and balanced - with 10k miles on them than any Nexen, Conti Sport Contact, or other budgetier tire brand.

Look at my Volks, riding on Chinhowwang budget tires.
Yes, PS2's are a far cry from "Nexens".

Chinhowwang
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Done Deal DR

PS2's are nothing to brag about....I like where this thread is going.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Toby-22

I dont brag about em cuz if i sold wheels that came with them im not gonna use the used tires as a selling point. Most people that are looking for wheels dont even care wat tires are on the rims. Some just want ANY tire on them till they have save some $ to get a set of there own. Unless the tires are brand new theyre nothing to brag about.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

I dont brag about em cuz if i sold wheels that came with them im not gonna use the used tires as a selling point. Most people that are looking for wheels dont even care wat tires are on the rims. Some just want ANY tire on them till they have save some $ to get a set of there own. Unless the tires are brand new theyre nothing to brag about.
So this explains why you are all butt hurt over the pricing of used tires. Most people that drop the coin on a set of Volks buy quality tires like a PS2. That's also why you are seeing a delta in what you think is fair vs what others think is fair.

I know that I do care what tires are on the wheels. They don't need to be brand new to be worthwhile. There are countless examples. When I sold my TE37s, they had PS2 tires on them. I think those sold for $2700, and $150 of that was shipping. If one is getting 70, 80, or 90% of tire tread for 50% of the cost of new, they are getting a deal that should be factored into the price being paid for the wheel/tire combo. The only time I negate the tires that are on the wheels are when they are some horrible (read Nexen, Conti, Kwazimoto, and similar) tire that shouldn't be on a performance vehicle.

I suppose it's possible that I'm in the minority on this, but seeing that you made a specific thread to dedicate to it, I'm guess not. I like to change up the look of my cars every few years. I'll venture to guess I've owned 12-15 sets of wheels. I currently have 4 sets of aftermarket wheels (and five sets of OEMs). All of my wheels have sold without issue for very fair $ given their condition and the good tires I put on them.

I still want to know what street tire you would brag about.

Last edited by scotts300; 08-03-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Toby-22

So this explains why you are all butt hurt over the pricing of used tires. Most people that drop the coin on a set of Volks buy quality tires like a PS2. That's also why you are seeing a delta in what you think is fair vs what others think is fair.

I know that I do care what tires are on the wheels. They don't need to be brand new to be worthwhile. There are countless examples. When I sold my TE37s, they had PS2 tires on them. I think those sold for $2700, and $150 of that was shipping. If one is getting 70, 80, or 90% of tire tread for 50% of the cost of new, they are getting a deal that should be factored into the price being paid for the wheel/tire combo. The only time I negate the tires that are on the wheels are when they are some horrible (read Nexen, Conti, Kwazimoto, and similar) tire that shouldn't be on a performance vehicle.

I suppose it's possible that I'm in the minority on this, but seeing that you made a specific thread to dedicate to it, I'm guess not. I like to change up the look of my cars every few years. I'll venture to guess I've owned 12-15 sets of wheels. I currently have 4 sets of aftermarket wheels (and five sets of OEMs). All of my wheels have sold without issue for very fair $ given their condition and the good tires I put on them.

Dont u turn this on me, from your previous posts it seems like your the one getting butt hurt. If you read back im not the only one that is noticing increasing price in used volks. I guess u wouldnt notice cuz your the one selling these overpriced volks. I mean cmon you sold 18'' volks with badly worn rear tires, and arent even the standard 9.5/10.5 width for over $2.5k picked up. You call me out on having ebay ps2s yet you sold used ps2s, isnt that the same thing? Also if you havent noticed ive sold/bought a good amount of used items in this forum and other forums. So i know what a fair deal is. Reason i started this thread is i was curious why the prices go down by only a few hundred for a used curbed volks. I thought i was missing something but by the responses im getting i guess not. Anyway i dont know why your getting so mad about this, i have my own opinion and u have yours.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM
TheOtherRob

Seems like a simple answer to me, because they CAN!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob
lol unfortunately your right
Old 08-03-2009, 12:44 PM
2k6-z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherRob

Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Done Deal DR

Agree with every point made. I'd also like to know what tire he would brag about, PS2 (although I have not personally run it, YET) is still universally accepted as one of the best performance tires ever made.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Toby-22

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
Agree with every point made. I'd also like to know what tire he would brag about, PS2 (although I have not personally run it, YET) is still universally accepted as one of the best performance tires ever made.
Wat the hell r u talking about man??? I probly ran more different tires than you have. Im running ps2s right now and i said used ps2s are nothing to brag about. Scott brought it up like it was some kind of deal breaker when buying used volks.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Wat the hell r u talking about man??? I probly ran more different tires than you have. Im running ps2s right now and i said used ps2s are nothing to brag about. Scott brought it up like it was some kind of deal breaker when buying used volks.
Again I ask two questions:
What is the 4-digit production code on your PS2s?
What tire would you brag about?

To me, if the wheels came with Nankang's, Nexen, T1-S, or other cheapo tires made for the stretch boys, I would subtract the value of that tire plus add in the $100 I'll have to pay to get real tires mounted. That's the only time I'll discount a set of wheels from an otherwise package deal.

Last edited by scotts300; 08-03-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Toby-22

Again I ask two questions:
What is the 4-digit production code on your PS2s?
What tire would you brag about?

To me, if the wheels came with Nankang's, Nexen, T1-S, or other cheapo tires made for the stretch boys, I would subtract the value of that tire plus add in the $100 I'll have to pay to get real tires mounted. That's the only time I'll discount a set of wheels from an otherwise package deal.
there are no used tires to brag about imo. If im buying used volks last thing i want is expensive a$$ used tires bringing cost up. Ill rather them dismount the tires to reduce shipping cost. Like i said some people shoot their price up due to tires alone. They post up tire brand before wheel specs lol. Again not all but a lot. But lets not make this into a tire discussion. Fact is a lot of these volk wheels fs tires or no tires are overpriced imo. These high prices are starting to become the norm. Anyway i stated my opinion and u stated yours. My concern has been answered.

Oh and im too lazy to look up the 4digit codes for my tires lol, who does that???? Theyre great tires, but i dont know why were talking about them.

Last edited by Toby-22; 08-03-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:23 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

[B]These high prices are starting to become the norm. Anyway i stated my opinion and u stated yours. My concern has been answered.
Fair enough.

there are no used tires to brag about imo.

Oh and im too lazy to look up the 4digit codes for my tires lol, who does that???? Theyre great tires, but i dont know why were talking about them.
Used take-offs are worth their weight in gold - just saying.

There is nothing to "look up". You simply stare at your tire. Maybe they are old, and that's why they don't feel so great. I know it may be clouded, but I am trying to help.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
stradaONE8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread makes no sense whatsoever. New items can be overpriced to a certain extent, but as long as people pay for them that's the price. Yes, if you just cannot find them anywhere for a certain amount of money and no one buys them at the current price, then you have an argument for that item being overpriced.

Used prices on ANYTHING are based on market demand...if wheels (not tires) sell for 2500-3000 used, that's what people pay for them, that's what they are worth. Whether that is based on the time factor, rarity, pure demand, whatever...that is what they are worth at this point in time. That may go up or down...it's basic economics.

If they are "overpriced" then no one would buy them and they would subsequently sell for less...to say something used is overpriced is saying, "I don't have the money for it at the price others are willing to pay." Super...also totally not a basis to judge a market.

EDIT: Cases in point:

1) Ferrari Enzo shortly after they were released to the 499 invited buyers. Price new to those people: 600k, price used on the market immediately after: 1.6-2.0mil.
2) McLaren F1, same story. Price new: 1.1 mil, price used on market now: 2.0+ mil depending on specimen.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 08-04-2009 at 03:33 PM.