Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

replicas or lookalikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:36 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Read the thread if you can't figure it out, I'm not retyping everything for you.
you have no arguement.. thats why you're telling me to read the thread again..

Rota copies designs but cost 1k and are made in the US
Volk copies designs but cost 4k and are made in Japan
Work copies designs but cost 4k and are made in Japan

you have no problems with Volk and Work.. the only other factor is that Rotas are cheap and are made in the US.. which you say you have no problem with the price or where its made..

so again what exactly is your agrument?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Anyways, I'm bored with this, seems you all can't debate something objectively without making it all personal and crying about being judged...or actually stay on topic or follow a logical train of thought for that matter. Yes, it's about being a snob...right. But hell, it's the internet...can't really expect much.

Enjoy your wheels fellas, I'll be enjoying mine.
LOL! You were the one pretty much calling me names not too many posts before this one, now we are the big meanies who are making it personal? We are the ones who can't stay on topic? It was the wheel snobs and Rota haters who derailed this thread, as usual, from the get go. The OP never asked for opinions on knockoff wheels, just for companies, examples and that is it.

Last edited by illjim69; 09-26-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:34 PM
stradaONE8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
you have no arguement.. thats why you're telling me to read the thread again..

Rota copies designs but cost 1k and are made in the US
Volk copies designs but cost 4k and are made in Japan
Work copies designs but cost 4k and are made in Japan
Wow, you nearly left me speechless with that concise summary of your understanding of this thread. You've surely earned you signature to say the least.

1) Rota wheels are actually made in the Philippines...not the US, fantastic legwork on getting even the very basic information.
2) Rota's entire lineup of wheels are copies of existing designs from other manufacturers that have all sold very well. Kinda takes the hard part of actually designing a wheel right out of the equation for a wheel production company...
3) While Volk and Work likely have a design or two they have copied from others, the majority of their wheels are original designs and thus they contribute to the market a fair bit more than leech. That being said, if I know a wheel is a copy from any manufacturer, I wouldn't buy it, doesn't matter who made it.

you have no problems with Volk and Work.. the only other factor is that Rotas are cheap and are made in the US.. which you say you have no problem with the price or where its made..
Again, Philippines doug, not the US. And cheap is a derogatory term, they are affordable. Nothing wrong with that at all.
It doesn't matter what anyone can afford. More power to you whether you buy 500 dollar wheels or 7000 dollar ones. My issue is with a company that so blatantly exists solely from the innovation of others, nothing more. As I've stated, my main gripe is with the company not the customer.

so again what exactly is your agrument?
I could go on, but I feel my efforts are a bit wasted on you. Also it's spelled argument, not arguement or agrument. Perhaps reading may help you more than you think.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 PM
stradaONE8

Originally Posted by illjim69
LOL! You were the one pretty much calling me names not too many posts before this one, now we are the big meanies who are making it personal? We are the ones who can't stay on topic? It was the wheel snobs and Rota haters who derailed this thread, as usual, from the get go. The OP never asked for opinions on knockoff wheels, just for companies, examples and that is it.

Wow, you must be a liberal as well because your logic and debate tactics are pretty much the same.
I was actually saying that people take things to personally, not that I felt attacked. I see where my wording may have confused you. I'm doing just fine...but some people take my comments against Rota/Drag/replica manufacturers as attacks on them, that's the taking things personally part.
Sorry bout the confusion.

Also great read on my political views, your powers of deduction are astounding. Apparently being able to debate with facts and proper language and train of thought is a liberal thing now. I assume conservatives all have logic on par with thinking that copyright law is based on people writing their own books when someone already wrote the first one...or wait I'm sorry Nissan shouldn't be making cars when clearly Karl Benz had invented that already...

EDIT: No no, you can't just edit out your statement about me being a liberal...I already quoted it my clever friend. You and this doug person are an entertaining duo to say the least, but in any case, F1 race begins at 730 and I have lots more work to do tomorrow. Goodnight mr. jim!

Last edited by stradaONE8; 09-26-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sound like a got damn troll. You like spending your life on here arguing? Biggest volk fanboy I've ever met.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:01 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

I was actually saying that people take things to personally, not that I felt attacked. I see where my wording may have confused you. I'm doing just fine...but some people take my comments against Rota/Drag/replica manufacturers as attacks on them, that's the taking things personally part.
Sorry bout the confusion.

Also great read on my political views, your powers of deduction are astounding. Apparently being able to debate with facts and proper language and train of thought is a liberal thing now. I assume conservatives all have logic on par with thinking that copyright law is based on people writing their own books when someone already wrote the first one...or wait I'm sorry Nissan shouldn't be making cars when clearly Karl Benz had invented that already...

EDIT: No no, you can't just edit out your statement about me being a liberal...I already quoted it my clever friend.
Good job on the quote, I only took it out to not have this thread turn into a political debate.

Trust me, you don't confuse me at all. It takes more than a stuck up wheel snob preaching from his pedestal about knockoff wheels, especially when Axis makes knockoffs as well (it was you with Axis wheels right? I could be mistaken).

Bottom line is that the Rotas, while very similar in design, are not exact duplicates (or carbon copies as you say) of other wheels. Are they playing off of designs that people want? Yes. Are they putting logos or stickers on their wheels to fool people into thinking they are Works or Volks? No.

Just to spite people like you, I think I will be buying a set of Rotas for my next wheel purchase.

There are plenty of threads on this forum where the main focus is to discuss the differences and opinions of knockoff wheels versus the "real deal" wheels. Why people like yourself feel the need to crap on threads with your venomous dribble is beyond me. You could have helped the OP out by pointing him towards wheeldude.com or something of the sort, but instead you felt like crying like a little girl about business ethics, when I can assure you that you own something made by a company that did not pioneer the product or design and that sir makes you a hypocrite.

/thread
Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 PM
stradaONE8

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
You sound like a got damn troll. You like spending your life on here arguing? Biggest volk fanboy I've ever met.
Uhh, I have 115 posts in 1.5 years...yes I like spending my life on here...you have nearly 3,500 in less time. Your statement is confusing.

Good job on the quote, I only took it out to not have this thread turn into a political debate.
You said it...stand by it. You seem to know all about my political preferences based on how I debate. You want to obviously illuminate liberals as bad people with that statement. Have some follow through.

Trust me, you don't confuse me at all. It takes more than a stuck up wheel snob preaching from his pedestal about knockoff wheels, especially when Axis makes knockoffs as well (it was you with Axis wheels right? I could be mistaken).
Nope sorry, not me. OEM wheels for the rest of fall, winter package, new setup for spring.

Just to spite people like you, I think I will be buying a set of Rotas for my next wheel purchase.
Uhhh, yeah, that'll show me...I won't know what to do.

There are plenty of threads on this forum where the main focus is to discuss the differences and opinions of knockoff wheels versus the "real deal" wheels. Why people like yourself feel the need to crap on threads with your venomous dribble is beyond me.
This was my first post in the thread:

Honestly if you are going to buy "cheaper" wheels, ie not Volks, Works, HRE, DPE, JLine, etc etc etc...that's perfectly fine.

Support a company making unique design. There are plenty of relatively unique mesh wheels that are not in the expensive category. Support those companies and their ingenuity and willingness to take risks. Don't feed a company that avoids the hardest part of running a business, which is coming up with an original: ie NOT Rota/Linea/whatever other companies that just take other peoples original work and make carbon copies of it because it'd be risky to do any design themselves...

Do a search, look around, buy a decent wheel, it doesn't matter that you can't afford Works right now, but just don't buy a replica. The real things are much more satisfying than some cheap knock-off...
He asked for opinions, I said save up for what he really wants or support an affordable company making their own designs. Nothing hateful at all I feel.

I can assure you that you own something made by a company that did not pioneer the product or design and that sir makes you a hypocrite.
That's probably the best point you've made.
Like you said:

/thread

Last edited by stradaONE8; 09-26-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I could go on, but I feel my efforts are a bit wasted on you. Also it's spelled argument, not arguement or agrument. Perhaps reading may help you more than you think.
you are the man.. i bow down to you and your superior G35c.. when i grow up.. i want to be just like you
Old 09-26-2009, 10:34 PM
bad 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ccws, volks, rays ,work ,bbs or fail
Old 09-26-2009, 10:40 PM
stradaONE8

you are the man.. i bow down to you and your superior G35c.. when i grow up.. i want to be just like you
thanks...
Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 AM
low

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post rota info

The Philippine Aluminum Wheels, Inc. (PAWI) is Philippines' pioneer and leading alloy wheel manufacturer and is time and again listed in the Philippines' Top 600 Corporations. Since they started in 1976, they have specialized in only one product; the Rota Alloy Wheel. All of their resources and energies have been directed into making Rota the finest product one would get today. A top-notch quality wheel, scrupulously designed, and beautifully engineered is a product that can easily outweigh the most prestigious competitions of the world. The Rota wheel excels both in style and in performance.

PAWI which is led by a creative Romy Rojas, whose love for motoring and motor sports has always been an enduring passion, has productively made the transition from being a pioneer to an worldwide exporter of quality alloy wheels.

The company's first produced its Rota Brand of wheels in 1977, with a preliminary manufacturing capacity of 4,000 wheels a month. Rota wheels are preferred by Chrysler-Mitsubishi of Philippines as OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for its vehicles after passing through the rigorous OEM qualifications of its parent company in Japan.

The subsequent years saw other major automobile assemblers such as Ford, Datsun, Isuzu, Mercedes-Benz, Opel and Volkswagen engaging the services of this company to produce their OE wheel necessities for their vehicles.

In 1988, PAWI made a research on magnesium-strengthened, heat treatable alloy, and came out with flying colors. This made the Rota wheels lighter yet stronger and long-lasting. PAWI began to upgrade its facilities and introduced state-of-the-art technological improvements in the form of the latest paraphernalia and machines that speed up and improve compound analysis, machining, painting and finishing. With their comeback into the Philippine market Toyota chose Rota wheels as their OE wheels, as well as Daihatsu.

In the year 1990, a landmark was drawn when PAWI hit a record production of 20,000 Rota wheels per month. In the present day, it produces alloy wheels of outstanding quality, using up to date equipments. A new series of improvement has boosted its production capacity to new heights of 50,000 wheels a month. This is more than ten times of its capacity when it first started.

The manufactures of Rota wheels are done in accordance with high international standards to which they aim at. They utilize some of the most complicated and modern testing carried out by major wheel manufacturers to guarantee the quality and durability of our product.

Their mark of quality is ensured as they use the most elaborate testing methods in the industry such as Composition Test, Vacuum Test, Impact Testing, Cornering Fatigue Test, Drum Test and Coordinating Test

The Rota Motor Sports Series Wheels which they have launched are for true race car fanatics and it isn't for the averages aspiring racers who are just all show and no go. The Rota wheels that we get off the shelf of the dealers will be the same tried and tested models that they use for their racing teams all over the world. So fasten the seat belts and enjoy the ride!

oh yeah which rays started in 1973. you never know they could have asked them to make it there since it would be cheaper like everything is basically made in china right for a cheap labor<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited by low; 10-12-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Jesus Christ dude....

We covered all of this... and cutting/pasting from their website to revive this argument a half month later is no help here.

I have addressed your "Look we make OEMs" argument thoroughly in another thread.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:56 AM
26jellybeans

after having stumbled onto this thread and completely read it through; i had to make an account on this forum. stradaon8, you truly are my hero, no sarcasm btw. reason being is the levelheadedness in your arguments while at the same time offering EDUCATED responses, rather than what would generally be received from a public forum (LOL intraweb). responding to the arguments (**** i hope i spelled this one right) made at hand rather the player, ...for some reason perspective is limited online though we have a vast amount of resources right at our fingertips. i also enjoyed that the nature of your posts for the most part were informative, though there may have been times where responses asked you to sidetrack bit. if ever should this same topic(OG vs replica) arise, one need not look further than this thread for thorough insight. its tough to remain unbiased amongst those who hold different perspectives as to the value of their intelligence and what it could mean for them... i value hard work and innovation and see it painful for such a thing to be robbed from anyone... i hope to start a business one day, by replicating a business model and NOT IDEAS... though this is not to say i would not rep replicas, cause I AINT GOT NO BUXX. im fudging bad at this being intraweb savvy stuff
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 AM
phreaktor
Design Engineer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

It has nothing to do with what you can afford but what you choose to support.
Yeah, OK. Back to Earth space cadet... If you have 3 grand to spend on your car TOTAL, the last thing you are worried about is "supporting" the owners of the company you buy parts from. You want the coolest looking thing you can buy for the least money.

Personally, if I was in that situation, I would not give less of a chit what anyone thought about my car because to the other 99% of the world who does not browse car forums, your car looks exactly the same as the guy who spent 6 times as much as you did.

If your car is not a track car, what exactly are you paying for when you buy wheels that cost 1/4 of of what the car cost? Hell, if you can get a bodykit and wheels for the same price someone else got wheels for- more power to you... Let the interwebs critics blow their money so they can tell people they are "straight form Japan".

Last edited by phreaktor; 03-30-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 AM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^TRUE!

I rock Rota's btw and I don't care what people say.

I love Volks and I plan on buying a set of them one day.

Only thing is - it's just too much of a PITA having a 3-4k USD worth set of tyres that I have to baby every time I fkng drive!!

With Rota's i can just thrash them - hit potholes, curbs, let it stay dirty as a ***** and not have to cry hard every time they happen.

Function - they work well during trackdays and i personally don't care about the extra weight they carry vs. orig. Volks. It's all about having fun in my Z.

I'd rather spend my 4k usd to smthing more useful - like performance parts

Last edited by 350Zdj; 03-30-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 AM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cmon guys. Volks arent the only hottest stuff around..

advan has got some too!

Last edited by 350Zdj; 03-30-2010 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 AM
SHICHIROU

lol!! You guys are funny, just buy what you like without trying to kill your bank account.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM
derekinthez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350Zdj

cmon guys. Volks arent the only hottest stuff around..

advan has got some too!

These are hot. Anyone have a pic of these on a Z.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Michla22

Originally Posted by derekinthez
These are hot. Anyone have a pic of these on a Z.
If you can wait 6 months or so I'm looking into those. Then I will have plenty of pics

Quick Reply: replicas or lookalikes