Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Has anyone had this done yet??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bdblackz
I realize you are dizzy.

Any help on my question in Message #19 on this thread is appreciated.

--Spike
Old 12-19-2009, 09:38 PM
stradaONE8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I have a question about tire siping (that I hope does not “jack” RandyK1’s thread.)

I run two different dedicated wheel/tire setups (one for summer and the other for winter). My summer setup is summer-performance tires and my winter setup is studless snow tires.

My winter tires have siping that is done during the manufacturing process . These tires grip great on just about any surface (dry, wet, snow, or ice), and they run very quietly. They do wear quickly.

My summer performance tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) seem to become noisier with wear. I would like to quiet-down the tires (they are almost roaring now at 50% tread-wear).

I am considering siping the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3’s. I realize that best case siping will increase wear , and worst case it will ruin the tire. But, the noise is that bad at 50% wear so I really don’t care since this would provide an excuse to get new tires.

My question: If I siped the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3’s, would they run more quietly?

--Spike
My understanding is that siping makes more points of contact, thus would actually be noisier. But I'm not sure in relation to the actual tread life.

My girlfriend's dad is actually an tire-press inventor at Goodyear. When I was chatting with him, he said a lot of their sipe testing made tires that sounded like suction cups as each extra edge would cause a separate point of contact and pressure thus more noise. I can directly ask him your question though tomorrow and see what he says.

Edit: Confirmed, they would just make them even louder. Buy a new set if the noise bothers you or look in reviews for a tire that seems to wear well.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 12-20-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Thank you for the reply which I greatly appreciate. That confirms the advice from bdblackz:
Originally Posted by bdblackz
[…] There are reasons that sipes are certain shapes, depths etc that tire companies research and design. If they're not already on the tire - you're better off not doing it. […]
I’m not even considering this anymore after receiving advice from a tire engineer (bdblackz) and your gf’s dad who certainly knows a lot more about tires than I do. I’d be a fool to ignore two experts.

I suppose the exception to siping summer performance tires might be owners who track their cars. They probably want the “suction cup-like” grip you mention, are not overly concerned about tire wear, and could care less about excessive noise if the tradeoff is better grip.

--Spike
Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love all my 350Z brothers and sisters.

Unlike siping, shaving has proven to be an advantage. And this advantage is appropriate only for unique applications.

Reference: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=67
Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by engiNERD350Z; 06-28-2010 at 05:53 AM.