Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM
RandyK1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had this done yet??

http://sipers.com/how_siping_done.asp#
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 PM
cubs4worldseris

nooo, would be interesting to hear from someone who has tho.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So a tire manufacture like Goodyear, spending millions of dollars in R&D, has not figured this out? But Saf-Tee Siping and Grooving, Inc. has?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dave079
David stop bringing things like sense into threads
Sorry. It will not happen again.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
mysterymann

lol
Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 AM
bdblackz

lol... now I've seen everything.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:10 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, siping is pretty common in the racing circles.

Had OP done a simple search, he would have found numerous threads on the subject...

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...re-siping.html

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...39-siping.html
Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 AM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

interesting, never even heard of this

guess theirs reasons why
Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 PM
stradaONE8

Originally Posted by davidv
So a tire manufacture like Goodyear, spending millions of dollars in R&D, has not figured this out? But Saf-Tee Siping and Grooving, Inc. has?

You know for all your smugness, it might be prudent to actually know what you are talking about. You know considering your 30 thousand f'in posts. Not to mention the nut-huggers that join in behind you.

Two factory tires with siping. Yeah, they did some R&D for that...and they oddly enough use it. Goodyear has tried basic lateral groove sipes along with Z patterns and other various angular designs to improve traction in poor weather conditions. They come in nearly every winter tire and many all-season tires.

Just because it's not later cut into a regular tire doesn't mean the principle is faulty. But yes, please be more of pretentious douche online...

To the OP: I would just buy a tires based on your desired function. Have dedicated summer tires with solid tread blocks, and if you need buy factory siped winter tires for proper cold weather traction. If you don't care about summer performance and don't get a ton of snow, a decent all-season tire with shallow siping as a compromise. Don't always get immediately swayed by the multitude of internet hardasses without doing your own research.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 12-19-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:59 PM
bdblackz

Originally Posted by stradaONE8

You know for all your smugness, it might be prudent to actually know what you are talking about. You know considering your 30 thousand f'in posts. Not to mention the nut-huggers that join in behind you.

Two factory tires with siping. Yeah, they did some R&D for that...and they oddly enough use it. Goodyear has tried basic lateral groove sipes along with Z patterns and other various angular designs to improve traction in poor weather conditions. They come in nearly every winter tire and many all-season tires.

Just because it's not later cut into a regular tire doesn't mean the principle is faulty. But yes, please be more of pretentious douche online...

To the OP: I would just buy a tires based on your desired function. Have dedicated summer tires with solid tread blocks, and if you need buy factory siped winter tires for proper cold weather traction. If you don't care about summer performance and don't get a ton of snow, a decent all-season tire with shallow siping as a compromise. Don't always get immediately swayed by the multitude of internet hardasses without doing your own research.
You're missing the point. We are all aware that some tires come with sipes.

There are reasons that sipes are certain shapes, depths etc that tire companies research and design. If they're not already on the tire - you're better off not doing it. You cannot change something on a tire and expect everything else to remain the same. For example, yes you might improve snow traction by doing this but totally destroy braking performance or tire wear.

If you like the tires better after having aftermarket sipes cut, you got the wrong tires in the first place.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 PM
stradaONE8

Read my post. I agree.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 12-19-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:09 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

^^^well then it looks like we were on the same page and you had no reason to go onto your little rant about some tires already having them, obviously the manufacturers made the tires for their own specific reason, and if they needed sipes to do the job, then theyd already be their. therefore no point in siping your tires. we all get that
Old 12-19-2009, 01:18 PM
stradaONE8

My post was directed at david and his R&D comment, to me it didn't seem all that obvious when someone says "Goodyear has not figured this out"...sorry my internet sarcasm detector is down.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

[…] Just because it's not later cut into a regular tire doesn't mean the principle is faulty. But yes, please be more of pretentious douche online...

My post was directed at david and his R&D comment, to me it didn't seem all that obvious when someone says "Goodyear has not figured this out"...sorry my internet sarcasm detector is down.
But… Isn’t this exactly what David states in Message #3 on this thread?

--Spike
Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 PM
stradaONE8

^see above...it wasn't obvious to me what the hell he was trying to get at. And in any case, I don't see how it was in any way helpful to the OP to help him decide what to do or how to figure it out. And I get it, that's david's M.O., posting smug comments in threads where he thinks the OP should know better.

Maybe it's just me but I'd find something better do with my 30k posts other than be a snide jackass to people I've never met that have questions. Not everyone is as well versed in cars/tires/etc as others and this is a forum which I apparently mistakenly believed to be for helping each other out.

You all seem to have his back because you know him or you just got used to his attitude or maybe are just afraid to call out his ****. And maybe he's a swell guy in real life that lets you borrow his spanners and gives you hugs and life advice, but all I seem to notice is his conceited one-liners in nearly every thread. Apparently he's the smartest man alive who knows all and never has had a single stupid thought in his life. Which is amazing really.

But to me his comments are ****ing annoying and a ridiculous way to talk to other people. But I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't talk to many people like that to their faces...in which case, seems pretty ridiculous for him to do it behind his computer.

I don't know, maybe it's just me...I tend to try to respect others and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 12-19-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
04fairlazdyz
LOW N SLO

^^^funny thing is that we live in the same state, but i personally have never met the guy. i just happen to be on his side in this case
Old 12-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike100

Wow! Ok, I see your point.

David’s obviously been here a long time and has posted an enormously number of times. I agree that he’s adopted a sarcastic style when responding to a thread, but that’s probably that he’s seen about every scenario. I admit that I enjoy his messages since they are short and to the point. He is rarely wrong, and never in doubt.

I have no problem giving David some “heat,” especially since he does that to others. I don’t think he minds this. I do consider him a valuable contributor on my350z.com.

Certainly, on this thread, you provide the best answer (that has pictures and explains why tire manufacturers do sipe some tires but not others). Your message answers the OP’s question (and no other message on this thread comes close to a real answer).

Notice that bdblackz misses your point completely…
Originally Posted by bdblackz
You're missing the point. We are all aware that some tires come with sipes.

There are reasons that sipes are certain shapes, depths etc that tire companies research and design. If they're not already on the tire - you're better off not doing it. You cannot change something on a tire and expect everything else to remain the same. For example, yes you might improve snow traction by doing this but totally destroy braking performance or tire wear.

If you like the tires better after having aftermarket sipes cut, you got the wrong tires in the first place.
… and bdblackz accuses you of posting inaccurate info (when in fact he just “parrots” what you said earlier in the thread).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 12-19-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Spike100

I have a question about tire siping (that I hope does not “jack” RandyK1’s thread.)

I run two different dedicated wheel/tire setups (one for summer and the other for winter). My summer setup is summer-performance tires and my winter setup is studless snow tires.

My winter tires have siping that is done during the manufacturing process . These tires grip great on just about any surface (dry, wet, snow, or ice), and they run very quietly. They do wear quickly.

My summer performance tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) seem to become noisier with wear. I would like to quiet-down the tires (they are almost roaring now at 50% tread-wear).

I am considering siping the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3’s. I realize that best case siping will increase wear , and worst case it will ruin the tire. But, the noise is that bad at 50% wear so I really don’t care since this would provide an excuse to get new tires.

My question: If I siped the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3’s, would they run more quietly?

--Spike
Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 PM
bdblackz

Originally Posted by Spike100
Wow! Ok, I see your point.

David’s obviously been here a long time and has posted an enormously number of times. I agree that he’s adopted a sarcastic style when responding to a thread, but that’s probably that he’s seen about every scenario. I admit that I enjoy his messages since they are short and to the point. He is rarely wrong, and never in doubt.

I have no problem giving David some “heat,” especially since he does that to others. I don’t think he minds this. I do consider him a valuable contributor on my350z.com.

Certainly, on this thread, you provide the best answer (that has pictures and explains why tire manufacturers do sipe some tires but not others). Your message answers the OP’s question (and no other message on this thread comes close to a real answer).

Notice that bdblackz misses your point completely…

… and bdblackz accuses you of posting inaccurate info (when in fact he just “parrots” what you said earlier in the thread).

--Spike