Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Help Finding Box Sizes For Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:26 PM
VQpoweredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Finding Box Sizes For Wheels

Hey guys,

I'm trying to find box sizes for my LMGT4's to ship them. I don't have the original boxes. Need your help with choosing a box size.

the sizes are...
19x8.5
19x9.5

I think 22x22x10 would work for the rims. Any suggestions? Also do you guys have tips for packaging the wheels. I am shipping just the wheels, no tires. I was thinking bubble wrap the rim inside the box so I doesn't come in contact with the cardboard and move around too much.

I still have to figure out how to buy the boxes after I choose a correct size too.

Any help is appreciated,
Dan
Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That size is good. Maybe even a little more on the height. Just use bubble wrap, spare cardboard flaps/slabs, and packing peanuts to fill tinier spaces.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 PM
VQpoweredZ

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate it. Just bubble wrap the whole rim and than put extra card board in there so it stays put?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wrap bubble wrap all around the wheel. Using peanuts and spare cardboard is just to take up the rest of the room to prevent the wheel from moving around at all. It also provides additional cushioning. Say the shipping company drops a metal rod on the box... there is now extra layers for it to get through instead of just poking through the outer box and gouging the wheel.

Also, when you tape up the box, tape up all the corners, and around the box going both ways. Can never be too safe, especially with the lazy SOBs working at the shipping companies now.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would call around to a reputable wheel shop and see if you can purchase a set of boxes, I'm sure they all have them lying around.

Rays normally packs the wheel without peanuts and extra cardboard but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt for you to make the extra effort.

So I'm guessing your LM's are sold? Hopefully they went to a good home
Old 05-31-2010, 08:27 PM
VQpoweredZ

Not yet man, people are trying to lowball me so much. I'm close to selling them though. I just realized I will have to ship most likely because not too many locals are interested.

But it sure is sad getting them off the car tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 PM
VQpoweredZ

Thanks again for the advice
Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
Not yet man, people are trying to lowball me so much. I'm close to selling them though. I just realized I will have to ship most likely because not too many locals are interested.

But it sure is sad getting them off the car tomorrow.
Nothing more that I despise than low-ballers, but karma is a bishhhh
Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That tire size, if you can find it, is good. I've shipped dozens of sets of wheels - you really only need to cover the face of the wheel. I suggest you put down a huge square of bubble wrap on some carpet, then put the wheel face down on the bubble wrap. Use low-adhesive tape (like blue painter's tape) to tape back the bubble wrap in towards the center of the wheel. Fill any dead space around the circumference of the wheel with bubble wrap so it doesn't move around (the big bubble stuff).

I agree with what was stated above - go to a few wheel shops and see if they have any boxes they could donate to you - they typically throw those things away (I just did this for a set of 06' wheels I shipped; the shop gave the boxes to me). Sometimes you can also get the wheel condoms that protect the face of wheels when manufacturers ship them. They're a soft, bonnet-like cover with elastic that covers the face of the wheel.

If you get boxes that are the same size, you can save some shipping costs by taping two boxes together. Meaning, wrap up the wheels in four separate boxes, but then use tape/cords/straps to secure two wheels together so you only mail two packages. I just started doing this, and no problems so far. Just be sure to use a lot of tape in a continuous fashion in multiple places around the boxes. If you use FedEx Kinkos, you can use their tape.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Lee R

I'll sell you my boxes for $2900 and throw in a set of mint VOLK RE30 wheels in gray silver for FREE!

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tire...ial-order.html
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Lee R
I'll sell you my boxes for $2900 and throw in a set of mint VOLK RE30 wheels in gray silver for FREE!

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tire...ial-order.html

Best deal on the forum.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:02 PM
VQpoweredZ

Thanks for the input again, so I've come to the consensus 22x22x10 is an ok box to buy.

Going to try and ask a few local wheel shops but if worst comes to worst, i'll buy these.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...rrugated-Boxes

Sucks that you have to buy a minimum of 10 boxes. It's going to be like 32 bucks shipped for these boxes.