Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Blizzak snow tire review

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:19 PM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blizzak snow tire review

Good evening,

So we got our first real snow on Saturday here in Cleveland and I was out driving that night. This gave me a chance to review my Blizzak LM20s. Unfortunately, it gave the police a chance to ticket me four times in one stop. At any rate, here is my review:

CONDITIONS
It had been raining for two days and the temperature was about 32-34. Then, Saturday afternoon it started to really snow. The wind was also high. By the time I started driving around, we had about 2 inches of slushy snow (more like snow than slush) on the roads.

BRAKING:
Solid. I never slipped once when braking. However, if the conditions were true packed snow instead of just slushy snow, I probably would have slid more. At any rate, I really nailed the brakes a few times to test out the grip and it was fine.

ACCELERATION:
No real issues. A couple times I did have minor slips under acceleration, but nothing startling or dangerous. I was taking it easy though. I would accelerate moderately to slow and would not rev above 3000. This helped to keep the torque low and the slipping to a minimum.

TURNING:
This is where things were a little worse, but controlable. Entering a highway on a "roundabout" I had a little fish in the rear. It was easy to regain control, but a little freaky. Keep in mind, I was crawling at the time. If the conditions were true packed snow, it could have broke loose even easier.

OVERVIEW:
Good braking and decent acceleration. Turns should be taken with extreme care. Worry factor for snow driving = low to mild.

Last edited by peptidbond; 11-30-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:26 PM
CelticPride2

Thanks for the review! I just installed my Blizzaks yesterday afternoon...we haven't had our first snow of the year here yet, but I'll be very curious to see how they hold up when we do. Will add my own observations when the time comes.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:47 PM
shimz350z

how much do blizzaks run for? and can you get them at anywhere?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:08 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hunter, glad you like them. I ran them for about 3,000 miles last year and was/am very pleased with the increased traction.

Did you mount them on your Track wheels? Or did you buy different wheels? What size's did you get?

BTW....good luck with your ticketS.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:30 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One Blizzak warning

There is ONE thing you should know about Blizzaks.

The special tread compound that grabs slick surfaces/ice wears off before the tread looks spent. It doesn't go all the way through.

Not a dig, they are great tires. Just something to be mindfull of.

When they look 1/2 worn you need to test the traction once and a while to see if they still got BITE.

AndyB
Old 11-30-2003, 04:34 PM
JonsilvZ

I wonder how my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S handle in the snow. They had good ratings in snow but I will have to see myself..
Old 12-01-2003, 06:35 AM
Blue Liquid

How are the Blizzak's on dry pavement? Does it fel like you are driving on soft marshmallows?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:46 AM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
How are the Blizzak's on dry pavement? Does it fel like you are driving on soft marshmallows?
We still haven't had our first snowfall here yet, so I've been using them on dry pavement since I got them 2 days ago. They do feel noticeably softer than the stock tires, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them marshmallows. As long as you drive a little more conservatively and don't do anything stupid (taking turns way too fast, etc.), you should be fine.

--D.J.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Vlad

Default Re: One Blizzak warning

Originally posted by AndyB
There is ONE thing you should know about Blizzaks.

The special tread compound that grabs slick surfaces/ice wears off before the tread looks spent. It doesn't go all the way through.

Not a dig, they are great tires. Just something to be mindfull of.

When they look 1/2 worn you need to test the traction once and a while to see if they still got BITE.

AndyB
I remember that... Now I have one winter and 3000? 4000? miles on my Blizzaks. They look pretty good. How do I measure how much thread I have left to find 50%?
Old 12-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Vlad

Originally posted by Blue Liquid
They are a little softer but not that bad. You can still corner pretty hard. Not that I do that... I drive less aggressive on winter tires because I dont' want to buy a new ones every winter.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:45 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great review! I have a question, though. Have you driven up or down any snowy/icy hills yet? If so, how was the traction with the Blizzaks?
Old 12-01-2003, 02:37 PM
ZedZed

Driving hard on dry pavement will eat the Blizzaks in no time. The compound in the tire is extremely soft. Combination of dry pavement and above freezing temps really chew this tire quick if you drive it hard.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:45 PM
peptidbond

Default Here are the answers to some questions

Okay, the answers are below. First however, I entered my not guilty plea on my ticket today! I am fighting that bullsh!t all the way.

Shimz: mine cost about $1000 installed. I bought from Tire Rack and installed locally at a well known shop.

EnthuZ: Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the advice. Yes, I got the 225/45/18 and 245/45/18 and put them on my track rims. My track rims will be my winter and racing rims next year. I am getting a set of Nismos for daily driving.

AndyB: This is true, partly. The LM22s do not have the microcell technology on them. This is only available on the WH50, or some model like that. Unfortunately, the WH50's are not available in 18" rim sizes. As for the tread depth, this is the most important part. Check it often.

JonsilvZ: A friend of mine has had the Pilot Sports on his M3 for a couple years and does love them.

GaryM05: The night that we had snow I did hit a couple very minor hills (large bridge, right when I got my F'n ticket). The grade was not steep and the bridge was concrete, so it was not a good test. Wish I could tell you more, but I have not hit a worthwhile hill yet.

DRY PAVEMENT RIDE:
First thing out of my mouth was "Drives like a caddy now?!?". The ride is softer and the initial bite on braking is also softer. However, it is not quite as cushy as a caddy. However, it is quite nice. Since I will not be driving for performance during the winter, I expect that I will enjoy the softer ride. Noise is also not an issue. The tires are nice and quiet.

Hope this helps everyone.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:55 PM
Rizzness

I was going to comment on the noise--- I noticed a little bit more of a high pitched hum--- thought it was the difference in treads?? I'm not sure tho-- I did have a shady Sears install my Blizzaks-perhaps I should return for re-balancing?
ZZ
Old 12-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Vlad

I didn't notice any more noice. Should be the same as stock tires.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:54 AM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by Vlad
I didn't notice any more noice. Should be the same as stock tires.
what he said
Old 12-08-2003, 08:33 AM
peptidbond

Bumped to the top because all those east-coast freaks are asking for snow tires. Should have thought about it before getting 2 feet of snow