2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

FOUR tickets in one stop!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:09 PM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOUR tickets in one stop!!!

Good evening,

To begin with, I have not had a ticket in 4 years and I am a safe driver. Now, on Saturday night, I got four citations on one ticket! Here is the story.

We were leaving one bar and headed to another (yes, I was sober). I approach a light and plan to turn left to go to the highway entrance ramp. Then I saw the "no left" sign and I moved to the right lane. I made a right turn on red to go to the next entrance ramp. This was mistake one. I did not see the "no turn on red" sign.

I proceeded across the bridge at 35 MPH. About 1/4 mile.

I came to a stop at the light and then BAM. A cop came screaming up behind me. I moved over thinking it was an emergency, but he just pulled in behind me.

So, we do the whole stop thing and he gives me a ticket without saying why. I ask and he says "right turn on red where prohibited".

As I am driving away, my G/F reads the offenses to me:
1. 50+ in a 35 clocked via pace (not guilt - see below)
2. Right turn on red where prohibited (guity as charged)
3. No seat belt (DEFINITELY not guilty)
4. No front plate (argh...guilty).

Now, I will freely admit even in court that I did make the illegal turn and that I did not have a front plate. However, the speeding and the belt are insane. First, I always where my belt. And I mean always. Since he could not see if I had it on from the rear, it must have been when he was standing at my window. Of course I had to take it off to get my license out, so I will argue this one. Anyhow, when he was at my window, the car was off. There is no law that says you must where a belt in a parked car.

Second, the speeding was also bull. On this night, we had two inches of snow on the ground. It was really slushy. Part of the reason that I drove that night was to test my Blizzaks (they rock). At any rate, I simply was not speeding. The cop did not pace me either. He came flying up behind me. Thankfully, I have a witness and two speedometers.

At any rate, I had to get that off my chest. Cleveland is facing a $62 million deficite and is laying off 200 police officers in one week. I seriously think that this cop was either a dick, or is somehow trying to pad the cities pockets. No, I was not rude to him. I was polite as always and curtious. I didn'ty even know what I was being stopped for until a second before he left. I never had a chance to argue anything. So, to court I go.

Be safe.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Dissolved

Default Re: FOUR tickets in one stop!!!

Originally posted by peptidbond

Cleveland is facing a $62 million deficite and is laying off 200 police officers in one week. I seriously think that this cop was either a dick, or is somehow trying to pad the cities pockets. No, I was not rude to him. I was polite as always and curtious. I didn'ty even know what I was being stopped for until a second before he left. I never had a chance to argue anything. So, to court I go.

You said it. People are so fed up with the slimy pigs here, that they have passed laws where police agencies cannot get over a certain amount each year from traffic fines. Boy you should of seen all the piggies bltch and moan about that
They are also banned from setting up speed traps on the highways. That's state police territory now (who almost never does speed traps). Gotta love it

In any event, I would not have signed for those other offenses. Proving you had a belt on would of been easy. Good luck
Old 11-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this!! I get stopped almost daily, but then with all the stripes I have I know why. Lucky for me they haven't given me a ticket..... yet.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Enron Exec

Its the end of the month guys, watch out for speed traps and such.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:26 PM
peptidbond

I really am a good driver, I rarely get pulled over, I always wear my belt, and I am always nice without being a sucka$$. This really shocked me.

As for signing the ticket, I had no choice. In Ohio, if you refuse to sign you go to jail. Anyhow, all it means is that you have accepted a copy of the ticket.

Like I said before, when I asked the cop what the ticket was for, he only mentioned the bad turn. It was not until later that I realized he had nailed me for other things.

What really burns me is the speeding. I am not saying the cop is a liar, but he is just mistaken. He never paced me, he just came out of no where. The belt will be easy. I have a witness and can produce photos that show the cop could not see my belt from behind. Furthermore, there is nothing against not wearing a belt in a parked car.

At any rate, do be careful and thanks for being understanding. I will take this to court and post the results.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:38 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cops

And cops wonder why the general public is not on their side anymore?

I can see the right on red ticket. Fair enough.

But the seatbelt and speeding is BS.

Fight the tickets! Plead not guilty on all counts. (might as well).

In court you can cop to the right on red and the license plate. That will show the judge you are not just whining. Stick to your guns on the BS tickets.

Here is a technique I have used.

1) Plead not guilty
2) Wait until the date is set.
3) find a GOOD reason to move the date and move it.

Most cops have "court days". The first date will be on that cops court day. Frequently when the reschedule they don;t check that. (at least in CT)

<soapbox>
If everyone who got BS tickets would fight them it would take the PROFIT out of writing them and cops might lighten up.
</soapbox>
Old 11-30-2003, 04:17 PM
TZUNAMI

Geez man, that blows.

Just a recommendation, to everyone really, that will make your life a LOT easier. Keep your belt on, until the officer reaches your car. When he asks for it, state clearly, "I AM UNFASTENING MY SEATBELT SO THAT I CAN GET TO MY LICENCE." Some officers are wearing a mic, so if he still tries to write you for "No Belt", you may have an out.

I think if you go to court and cop to the no plate, right on red, that the judge will see that you're level, and cut you some slack. I also agree about setting a court date, then getting it moved. Just make sure it isn't the same exact day(either in number or day of the week as that is likely just moving it to that officer's "court day" again).

GL man, sorry to hear that you ran into a bad cop. Most like my stepmother are good honest heros that are out to protect and serve.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is realy not cool! Tell us what the outcome is...

Things to remember when you get pulled over.

DO NOT unbuckle your seat belt, Keep BOTH HANDS on the steering wheel. DO NOT REACH for anything. When he asks for your licence and registration tell him where you are going to put your hands to get it. If you have your stuff in your rear glove box (like I do and have done this before) say, "Yes Officer, I have it in my glove box which is behind my set, is it ok for me to get it out from there" This way they are warned with what you are doing. Remember, Osifer friendly does not know that you are a nice guy and does not know you do not have a gun, They will always assume you have a gun on you and if you are reaching that you may be reaching for a gun. Never make sudden movements and always keep your hands visible and seat belt on. I some times take my keys out of the ignition and put them on the dash as SOON as I get pulled over then sit and wait.

Thank fully its only been 3 time's in the Z. 2 tickets, one speeding one for a front licence plate.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:59 PM

are all 4 offenses on one ticket - does this mean that if you win on one - you'r automaticaly set free for all 4.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:35 PM
TZUNAMI

leet, no, each is a seperate citation

now if the cop doesn't show up to court, you're free on all of them, but if he does, and you say, get out of the speeding, the others could still stick.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:27 PM
cmeissen

I got 6 when I was pulled over last
Old 12-01-2003, 02:42 AM
R1cky

That is just plain BS... you should have read the ticket when the cop was still there. Ask him to show u the radar, if he does have it down then take his a$$ to court... Same thing to the one with no seat belt, fight for it man, dont let them take ur $ away like that.
And as for the no front liscence plate, just put it back on and pay the fix up ticket then then take it off again. I live in LA, out here damn a$$holes, give u ticket for no front plate when ur car is parked. They write u up for a parking ticket and along with that, no front plate. That is another way of the gov. find their way to get more $$$ from us.

Last edited by R1cky; 12-01-2003 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:01 AM
gooters

I hate cops.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:39 AM
christurismohk

I hate cops.
u mean u hate highway patrols.......same here, i got a stupid ticket driving to vegas....and the stupid highway patrol BSed the speed limit. i m going to plead not guilty!!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:42 AM
christurismohk

Heres something I got from the email...dont know if is true though. BECAREFUL GUYS!! Drive safe!
THIS IS NOT A JOKE ...

I have been just informed that extra caution must be exercised from now
on regarding our driving habits.

These precautions are extremely critical if we want to keep a clean
record ... especially in areas of heavy Asian occupancy (i.e Monterey
Park, Roland Heights, etc.)

Due to the shortfall of the State revenue, and the rescinding of the
car registration, city police (note: not just CHP) are on the outlook for
small (may even be questionable) traffic infractions. They (the
police) are very happy to dish out tickets, and throw in multiple counts
whenever possible.

Our great state needs to get the money somewhere somehow. And our
'Arnold' sort-of-kind-of ' 'nodded' for the cops to go ahead with this
'fund raising' event.

I was told that on this past Sunday (yesterday) alone, the Garfield and
Valley intersection in Monterey Park/Alhambra was the site of 120+
traffic tickets. In one case, a Chinese girl received a ticket of $870.00
for stopping cross the white line. She was stopped at the intersection
due to extremely heavy traffic grid-lock (this happens all the time at
that intersection). Realizing that she could not proceed when the
light turned red, she wanted to backup. Her front wheels were barely
touching the first white line. A motorcycle cop pulled her over and wrote
her a ticket, which stated the following:
Ignoring a red traffic signal.
Blocking the intersection.
Not yielding to pedestrians (there is always people crossing that
intersection).
Attempting to drive in the wrong direction of traffic (backing up).

So, people, watch your steps (both yours and your car's). Beware of
the following:
'Jay-walking' is also a 'ticketable' offense ... especially in
Monterey Park where you really want to get to the shop or restaurant
at the opposite side without walking around to the cross-walks.
Do not cross the center double-yellow portion to get to the left hand
turn lane when the left lane is backed-up. This was one of the major
violation this weekend at that intersection.
Do not go in or out of the car-pool lane by crossing the solid
double-yellow lines, even when you are not driving solo.
Wait for the pedestrians cross the road 'completely' before taking
off, that means after they have stepped onto the sidewalk at the
other side. This was another major violation this weekend at that
intersection.
Keep track of the speed limit, 8 miles per hour over the limit was a
violation at that intersection this weekend.

So I urge all of you to keep it cool, keep it safe, keep it clean (your
records), and spend your money at the right place and for the right
persons. And have a very happy holiday season.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:43 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by R1cky
That is just plain BS... you should have read the ticket when the cop was still there. Ask him to show u the radar, if he does have it down then take his a$$ to court...
Apparently there was no radar gun involved. The ticked said that his speed was measured by pacing - following behind.

WayneTN
Old 12-01-2003, 02:31 PM
peptidbond

UPDATE

Okay, I went to the clerk of courts today and I have an update. But first I going to answer some questions.

Jason@Perf: Normally, I do not take off my belt when I am pulled over. My normal habit is signal right, pull over, hazards on, window down, kill engine, remove keys, keys in eyesight, hands on legs. Why I removed my belt this time is beyond me.

Leet and Tzunami - All the offenses were on one ticket. I found out today I cannot plead guity to some and not guity to the others. It is either guity or not on all four.

Ricky: Thanks for the support, but I do not think I would have asked for the gun even if he had used one. I am exteremly happy that he paced me and wrote down "50+". When you pace and write down a vague speed like "50+", it should make it much easier to beat.

Okay, here is the update. I went to the clerk to enter my not guilty plea today. As I mentioned above, I could not do guilty on the turn and the plate and guilty on the others. So, I entered NOT GUILTY ON ALL.

I will get a new date soon and it should be 4-6 weeks in the future. Thanks for the advice on the date. I think I feel a business trip coming on and I will move the date.

At the pre-trial, I plan to approach the prosecutor and say "I will give you the plate if you give me the rest" while hinting at all the evidence I have. If he says no, then I will say "Ok, plate and the turn and I walk on the speed and the belt, which I can beat anyhow". If he takes it then it is a done deal. If he does not, then I think I have a pretty good chance to get out of everything (all on the same ticket = all or none).

I will certainly update everyone when the time comes. Thanks for your support and please take care if you live in a city with a deficit. In a way I hope the cop is part of the layoff in a week. That way he will never show up in court.

Last edited by peptidbond; 12-01-2003 at 02:34 PM.