Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Cracked Forgestar F14..BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeehee

Anyway, sucks about the cracks. Did you check with the mfg about warranty replacement? I've always liked Forgestars too ...
See my first post...scarry stuff. I wouldn't trust these wheels again. TWO were cracked on my car and you can see others that I put up as well..so this isn't an *isolated* fluke.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by zeehee
Just FYI, powdercoating won't do anything to a forged wheel, if done right.
Lot's of OEMs powdercoat their wheels.
It usually takes hours at temperature to cause fatigue to the wheel. Most shops bake them for ~20 minutes.
That's the problem...

High quality cast and forged wheels come with the best balance of tensile strength and fatigue performance from the factory. Most cast wheels are 356 T6 alloy and aged at 300-315F, most powders are baked at 350-400F. If it's a two stage base/clear powder, it goes into the oven twice. Factor in uncontrolled cooling temps/times and the structural integrity is compromised.

OEM processes, quality control, R&D far exceed some guy throwing wheels into an oven. Smaller companies are more concerned with production turn around time, aesthetics, and less about structural integrity, combine that with China made blanks and you've got quality issues.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 PM
zeehee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
That's the problem...

High quality cast and forged wheels come with the best balance of tensile strength and fatigue performance from the factory. Most cast wheels are 356 T6 alloy and aged at 300-315F, most powders are baked at 350-400F. If it's a two stage base/clear powder, it goes into the oven twice. Factor in uncontrolled cooling temps/times and the structural integrity is compromised.

OEM processes, quality control, R&D far exceed some guy throwing wheels into an oven. Smaller companies are more concerned with production turn around time, aesthetics, and less about structural integrity, combine that with China made blanks and you've got quality issues.
I was really referring to forged wheels, and post purchase powdercoating (relating to the comments, if you get a forged wheel don't powdercoat it).

I understand what you are saying, but it usually takes hours for metal fatigue to change in those alloys, and its pretty insignificant. I'm sure it CAN be harmful and in some cases is, but generally it is pretty safe. Especially with a reputable shop.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
That's the problem...

while doing a search on Forgestar F14's i came across this thread... Mr. Sparco, you may be onto something here?!

also, the fact that these are cast and most of the wheels support is at the spokes is another reason i believe these are cracking only at the inner edge.
it's similar to an aluminum soda can, easy to crush in the middle...

what could also be happening, theory, (merc owners situation), the rim shop is grabbing the inside of the rim with the tire machine. it's the start to the end, creating the stress points, overtime the stress points develop into full blow cracks.

this kinda sucks, lol, because i really like the Forgestar lineup for the price.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for sharing op. Been eyeing a set for my GS300 DD'r. Not anymore with the family in mind!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Side note:
The guys on this site always find a way to crack wheels. Not sure if it is the actual weight of the car of what but if ya want to know if a wheel will hold up just check MY350.COM!

I bent my old Volks.. keyword bent! Still held air and no wobbles
Old 08-08-2013, 12:11 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
Side note:
The guys on this site always find a way to crack wheels. Not sure if it is the actual weight of the car of what but if ya want to know if a wheel will hold up just check MY350.COM!

I bent my old Volks.. keyword bent! Still held air and no wobbles

Yeah but like 70% of the time its because they were doing dumb shiit, and this is a case of the other 30%.

Good writeup OP, thanks for sharing to prevent other Z owners from making the same mistake.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch, stick with real racing brands? Volk/Ray, Work, Enkei, BBS etc?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:28 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Ouch, stick with real racing brands? Volk/Ray, Work, Enkei, BBS etc?
I'm sure other wheels like Konig or TSW would be fine. These particular wheels are specially spun cast (NOT FORGED!) to be much lighter (and they are light) because they are *supposed* to be STRONGER as well. That's the problem! Apparently the quality control is lacking so many are DEFECTIVE and can't take the stress. The barrels are made in China and then sent here for machining and finishing.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Ak48z

Glad my Forgestars are still going strong
Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Ak48z
Glad my Forgestars are still going strong
Good for you..if you get tire pressure warning watch out.
If you don't have TPMS...check pressures often.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
R6n350GT

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Dam was about to order a set of super concave... should i just get vertini magic instead?