Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

looking into getting new wheels.. opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
In the spectrum of all cars, the Z is pretty damn nice if you ask me. If you only consider sports cars then yeah its not so great any more. I don't think that analogy works to describe this wheel one though. In the case of buying a car, you're starting with no car and ultimately ending up with a car. With wheels, your car already has perfectly functioning wheels, but then people choose to spend money to replace them with something of a lower quality sometimes. Why? The only reason is appearance. Many people have been accused of being ricers for stuff like this. If for some reason someone buys a car with no wheels, or wheels that are severely damaged and they replace them with whatever they can afford, that's one thing. But intentionally sacrificing quality for appearance is just a principle I disagree with. That's all.
Honestly, I would rather have a pair of cheapo 5zigen's then stock wheels. Stock wheels are boring/common with weak sizes and offsets, you definitely can agree with that. Also, the car analogy is a stretch but not really when you think about it. For instance, you bought the Z because that's what you could afford. What if you had 100k more in income? Would you still buy a Z? Probably not. Now, take someone who barely scraped by to afford their Z. Do you think it's fair to say they shouldn't be able to mod unless they buy 3k wheels? Kind of silly don't you think? With that said, there are plenty of wheels out there that can be had for a relatively cheap price which will be more than sufficient for the street.

As far as the brakes go, my new setup is definitely low end, especially considering the awesome project mu, stop tech, etc kits available to us, but again I don't think that analogy is the same as the wheel topic, unless someone wants to argue that akebono calipers/stoptech rotors are worse than the stock brakes.
Upgrade? Like you said, that debatable (meaning you probably could have upgraded your remaining stock hardware for roughly the same performance). However, you probably bought those mostly for looks no? You also bought what worked for your budget. Isn't that the same principle as someone who is buying wheels for looks but can't afford to shell out big bucks for said higher end wheels?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Zpeed#91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gram lights are budget wheels though IMO they don't cost a lot more than varrs, so why not spend a little more and get a good set of wheels.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zpeed#91
The gram lights are budget wheels though IMO they don't cost a lot more than varrs, so why not spend a little more and get a good set of wheels.
That could be said for practically everything. No? I agree though and gram lights are sweet, but they are not invincible either.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...mlights57S.jpg

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 08-12-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:00 PM
X.et

I show a cracked varrstoen, someone posts a bent up Volk, so on and so forth. And without any background information about the story to go along with the picture, what's the point? This has all been done before, and there are more than enough knockoff vs authentic debates you can search for. All I know is varrstoen and other knockoff wheel companies weren't picked out of a hat for us wheel snobs to bully.

Edit: And actually as of late I've been having more respect for Rota's as far as low cost wheels go since I've been hearing that they are more and more often handling a solid track beating. Although my friend did order a brand new set for his Subaru and one of them has a chunk missing from one of the lips, so I'm not sure what to think really.
Ya plenty of rota and linea corsea and the likes. You singled out varr but haven't shown any evidence of them cracking under street conditions. I think if you are going to single out a brand name you should be able to substantiate that claim with at least a handful of cases...

Plenty of wheels can crack and bend, so if there isn't an abnormal amount having issues, what's the matter with the brand? You may think the production standards are lower, and even if that is the case, when there is not even a hint of real world issues arising from that what is the issue?

I'm all for being against wheel brands that have been shown to crack a lot and are generally unsafe even in street driving conditions. But the reality is not every budget wheel brand, knock-off or not, have been shown to be unsafe in the least. So I think it is a bit unfair to bash them on safety concerns when they so far haven't been warranted.

Now if it is solely a matter of because the wheels are copies, then that is just something of pure personal preference and ideals...

In the spectrum of all cars, the Z is pretty damn nice if you ask me. If you only consider sports cars then yeah its not so great any more. I don't think that analogy works to describe this wheel one though. In the case of buying a car, you're starting with no car and ultimately ending up with a car. With wheels, your car already has perfectly functioning wheels, but then people choose to spend money to replace them with something of a lower quality sometimes. Why? The only reason is appearance. Many people have been accused of being ricers for stuff like this. If for some reason someone buys a car with no wheels, or wheels that are severely damaged and they replace them with whatever they can afford, that's one thing. But intentionally sacrificing quality for appearance is just a principle I disagree with. That's all.

As far as the brakes go, my new setup is definitely low end, especially considering the awesome project mu, stop tech, etc kits available to us, but again I don't think that analogy is the same as the wheel topic, unless someone wants to argue that akebono calipers/stoptech rotors are worse than the stock brakes.
It's generally agreed that you would be better off with stock brembos than akebono's
Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Good stuff going on.

Rota=quality , replica but quality and take a hell of a beating.
Vars=seen a few cracks , not track proven , and also replica.
XXR= total and complete crap. Lots of cracks, lots of bends , you would have to be paid to track them.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zpeed#91
I am going for the RAYS Gramslight 57DR's love the look and probably better quality then both my other choices...

Attaboy!

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
You do know Z's can be had for less than 8 grand these days, right? I hear you on trying to buy quality (I've had all kinds of wheels) but more than half the time it's not going to make a difference to the average Z driver on the street.
Originally Posted by mr. sparco
True, my car may be worth less than half what I paid but it's got very low miles and worth more to me than what an average used car shopper is willing to pay. I buy my car costly parts not for what it's worth to others but what it does for me each time I get in.

Just because the Z has dropped in value doesn't mean you should cheap out when you can afford not to

When you know better you don't settle for subpar quality
Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by X.et
It's generally agreed that you would be better off with stock brembos than akebono's
My car didn't come with stock akebonos
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
X.et

My car didn't come with stock akebonos
I assume you mean brembos. I was just saying that picking up a pair of stock brembos would perform better and for half the cost.

But in any case, who really gives a crap. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and to do w/e they want with their cars. Personally it doesn't bother me until people put on 21+" donk looking rims, everyone has different taste in wheel setups and are looking for completely different things when they look into buying new wheels.

OP please post pics when you're set up comes in, eager to see how they look!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by X.et
I assume you mean brembos.
Yup, my mistake.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM
X.et

Yup, my mistake.
Cool, nice car
Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Zpeed#91

Originally Posted by Waizzz

Attaboy!

Just because the Z has dropped in value doesn't mean you should cheap out when you can afford not to

When you know better you don't settle for subpar quality

Can't wait to get em! And +1 on the don't settle for something if you can afford better!! I know I have learned from that mistake from past experiences!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Zpeed#91

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
That could be said for practically everything. No? I agree though and gram lights are sweet, but they are not invincible either.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...mlights57S.jpg
Any wheel can crack, or bend there is always a chance. Its just better quality wheels have less of that chance of bending or cracking IMO! But to each their own if someone wants to get varrs I'm not gonna stop them, but just the fact that you can get the rays gramlights for a little bit more why not you are gonna be happier in the long run!