Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Wheel Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Luckymich77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Suggestions

Hey everyone. I am new to post to this website. But I have been reading this website for the last year and you all know A LOT and I appreciate this website for the amount of knowledge on here!

Today, I have a question for you all. I have a White '05z right now in the shop and it currently is getting ground effects applied. I finally got the money to work on my car and I was thinking of applying some nice rims on there.

Can anyone please recommend me some good red rims? I like the Candy Apple/Red color or even the Anodized Red colors. Here is how my car would look like in the end.

Also included are pictures of some rims I have seen to show you my taste. If you can recommend one of these or know any of these rims for a good price, please advice!! I specifically want red rims.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Suggestions-ntnsracing_2266_355117290.jpg   Wheel Suggestions-picture-11.png   Wheel Suggestions-picture-12.png   Wheel Suggestions-picture-13.png   Wheel Suggestions-picture-14.png  

Wheel Suggestions-picture-15.png  
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM
07maximan

Buy what you like and have them painted...

What kind of "ground effects" are you having installed?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome!

Enjoy your Z - beware that customizing your car can be a never ending money pit, lol.

Look into these wheels:

I am pretty sure you can have them custom painted/powder coated from the factory.

http://www.forgestar.com/v2/index.php

I owned a set of these I put on my CLK55 a few years ago. VERY nice wheels, especially when price factored in. I think I paid about $1200 for 4 18" wheels (no tires of course), and they looked as nice as many $4k sets of HRE's. Were VERY light too. All the guys at Discount Tire where I took them to have the tires mounted were passing one of them around because they couldn't believe how light they were.

Beware cheaper wheels - they will be heavy and will noticeably make your car feel slower.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Please tell me that when you say "ground effects" you mean aero/body kit (the genuine Origin Lab kit is clean)...

& what is your budget? There are endless options when it comes to wheel choice... & original color isn't an issue if money isn't because most wheels can be properly powdercoated to any finish desired.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Ground effect was the 90's way of saying body kit. I personally like the volk te37, others looks meh.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by pyshin
Please tell me that when you say "ground effects" you mean aero/body kit (the genuine Origin Lab kit is clean)...

& what is your budget? There are endless options when it comes to wheel choice... & original color isn't an issue if money isn't because most wheels can be properly powdercoated to any finish desired.
Assuming since we are talking an '05Z (versus, say, a 98 Supra Turbo or an '03 NSX) and OP "finally got the money" to work on his car, that money is probably an issue.....
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Luckymich77

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Welcome!

Enjoy your Z - beware that customizing your car can be a never ending money pit, lol.

Look into these wheels:

I am pretty sure you can have them custom painted/powder coated from the factory.

http://www.forgestar.com/v2/index.php

I owned a set of these I put on my CLK55 a few years ago. VERY nice wheels, especially when price factored in. I think I paid about $1200 for 4 18" wheels (no tires of course), and they looked as nice as many $4k sets of HRE's. Were VERY light too. All the guys at Discount Tire where I took them to have the tires mounted were passing one of them around because they couldn't believe how light they were.

Beware cheaper wheels - they will be heavy and will noticeably make your car feel slower.
I will definetly look into these! I appreciate the advice on cheaper wheels. It makes sense. I did see some cheaper wheels and I was thinking but I think in the end of the day, I wouldn't want my car to be slower.

I am looking to spend about $1000-$2000 so that price range sounds good! Also if anyone else can recommend anything nice in that range, please let me know! Also, if you guys have any pics to show of nice rims in your Zs, please feel free to post! It is one thing to see the rim by itself on the website versus seeing them on the car.

Also, "I finally got the money to work on my car"....I was in school man. I just finished and am finally ready to just work and spend extra money on my car so that is all I meant by that.

Thank you for the responses so far guys, please keep them rolling!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Luckymich77

Yes, by groundeffects I mean bodykit. So far the work on Origin Lab Kit is looking like a winner to me IMO.

I understand the process of powdercoating but I was not really looking to drop $5000 on rims...more like $1000-2000 for all four wheels...I mean, I am in the browsing process right now but I am the type where if I REALLY like something and I believe it is of EXCELLENT quality, I would fork out some more money for it.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM
NismoDude

good luck, take your time researching everything in detail before making your purchase - honestly that is half the fun.

Not putting you down for not having 5K to drop on a set of HRE's or DPE's - I have one car that I bought with a 6K set of Brabus wheels on it. I like 'em, and get compliments on 'em all the time, but there ain't no way I would have spent that much to buy them myself, lol!

Look close at those Forgestars. Mine were really nice. If memory serves, I had 18x9's and they were less than 20lb's.

Look up "unsprung weight" to see the nasty effects that heavy wheels will have on your car.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Luckymich77

good luck, take your time researching everything in detail before making your purchase - honestly that is half the fun.

Not putting you down for not having 5K to drop on a set of HRE's or DPE's - I have one car that I bought with a 6K set of Brabus wheels on it. I like 'em, and get compliments on 'em all the time, but there ain't no way I would have spent that much to buy them myself, lol!
HRE is INSANE man. That is what really got me into the candy-red style for RIMS....check this pic out...this is what really told me that I need to put red wheels like that on my white Z...do you have any pics you could post of yours?
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Suggestions-picture-16.png  
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 PM
NismoDude

Those look pretty sic on that GTR.

Got rid of the car with the Forgestars, they were the F14's in gunmetal, had them on a silver cabriolet.

Websearch MB forums, then search Forgestars, they were getting very popular on MB's. I honestly haven't seen any on a 350Z, but I think they would look great.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
NismoDude

http://www.forgestar.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=360

Not a Z, but check out how these look on a Supra.

Geez there's a whole thread here on this forum - never thought to look for it:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...p-concave.html

Check out those red ones halfway down the first post of photos.

Last edited by NismoDude; 09-12-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
pyshin

Assuming since we are talking an '05Z (versus, say, a 98 Supra Turbo or an '03 NSX) and OP "finally got the money" to work on his car, that money is probably an issue.....
Originally Posted by Luckymich77
...but I was not really looking to drop $5000 on rims...more like $1000-2000 for all four wheels...
Thanks for clearing that up, because the first sets I would've suggest are Work Emotion 11R's and XD-9's because they were close to the style that you were looking for. Also would've suggested TE37's as RUNWDVL did.

I agree with NismoDude in that if your'e looking to spend between $1000-2000, Forgestars are great quality for the price and size/offsets available.

A friend of mine runs them on his sponsored showcar DD and loves them; he also does sales for them so if you'd like I can PM you his info.

This is his personal vehicle on Forgestars:

Last edited by pyshin; 09-12-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Luckymich77

Geez there's a whole thread here on this forum - never thought to look for it:

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...p-concave.html

Check out those red ones halfway down the first post of photos.
THIS made my day. I think those red ones are SICK! I think I am getting close here. I have been looking through the forum too but these red ones come closest to the image I want for my Z. So it looks like Forgestar F14 FTW.

I agree with NismoDude in that if your'e looking to spend between $1000-2000, Forgestars are great quality for the price and size/offsets available.
I agree. for my budget and for something of great quality F14 is SICK and I love how they concave in..this picture below just got me. Now the question is what size? I have the Touring version of '05Z. Here are the specs for my wheels now as I got the standard Aluminum Alloy 17"

Front
Size: 17x7.5
Offset: +30mm
Weight: 23.26lbs
Tire: 225/50/17

Rear
Size: 17x8.0
Offset: +33mm
Weight: 24.14lbs
Tire: 235/50/17

So Can I go with 18x8.5 and 18x9? I have also heard people saying 19 is the best for the ride...any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Suggestions-picture-18.png  
Old 09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
pyshin

Here's the same FR-S with his former F14's

Do not get 17's, get at least 18's if not 19's for the super deep concave (which look amazing)

I don't know what the perfect fitment for your Z will be, that is all based on what you want to do with it.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

THIS made my day. I think those red ones are SICK! I think I am getting close here. I have been looking through the forum too but these red ones come closest to the image I want for my Z. So it looks like Forgestar F14 FTW.

I agree. for my budget and for something of great quality F14 is SICK and I love how they concave in..this picture below just got me. Now the question is what size? I have the Touring version of '05Z. Here are the specs for my wheels now as I got the standard Aluminum Alloy 17"

Front

Rear

So Can I go with 18x8.5 and 18x9? I have also heard people saying 19 is the best for the ride...any suggestions?
Do not buy less than a 9 for the front and 10 for the rear. Optimal for the street is 9.5 front and 10.5 rear, with a 10 to 25 offset depending on how aggressive you want.

18 is more for performance , 19 for looks , pick what want.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Do not buy less than a 9 for the front and 10 for the rear. Optimal for the street is 9.5 front and 10.5 rear, with a 10 to 25 offset depending on how aggressive you want.

18 is more for performance , 19 for looks , pick what want.
+1.

For performance you want the lightest wheel/tire combo, but we trade off because little wheels with big rubber doesn't look good (there's a reason indy and nascar cars have such relatively small wheels with lotsa rubber sidewall - tires will always weigh less than wheel material).

I would say go 18's, less likely to bend or curb rash too.

Or consider staggered 18 deep concave front, 19 super deep concave rear.

07/08 Nismo's came with a staggered set of Rays forged wheels in 18/19. I think they are the best looking stock wheels I have seen (but I'm a bit biased). I'm sure you could find out if the same combination would work on your 05 Z.

Spend some time sifting through and searching for the MANY photos of tires/wheels on the forum.

Like I said, looking and deciding is half the fun

I'm due for a new set of tires soon and I'm taking my time looking at the different size combo's others have used, and reading the reviews for various tires at TireRack - I'm sure if I got a sidewall blowout tomorrow I could pick a nice set in 5 minutes at Discount Tire, but since I'm not in a hurry, just enjoying surfing.......
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 PM
NismoDude

Front

Rear

Yes those red Forgestars are pretty damn sweet.

You would also be running something you don't see very often - a big plus in my book.

And actually I think it's reversed, the smaller the wheel, the bigger your tire sidewalls will be, so the more shock absorption and smoother the ride. Also less likely to dent a wheel barrel if you hit a big pothole at speed. I would PM the Forgestar dealer and ask for recommendations and weights. I can almost guarantee you they will be lighter, even in 18's, than the 17 stockers. If you cut a few pounds of unsprung weight with each tire and wheel, you should be able to feel the difference.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 PM
NismoDude

Here's the same FR-S with his former F14's

Do not get 17's, get at least 18's if not 19's for the super deep concave (which look amazing)

I don't know what the perfect fitment for your Z will be, that is all based on what you want to do with it.
sweet fitment there.

19 super deep concave in the rear?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
pyshin

sweet fitment there.

19 super deep concave in the rear?
"Forgestar F14 Super Deep Concave Semi Gloss Black
19 x 9.5 -7 Front with 235/35/19 Toyo T1 Sport
19 x 10 -19 +25mm spacer (-44 effective) Rear with 245/35/19 Toyo T1 Sport"

http://www.stancenation.com/2012/12/...to-scion-fr-s/