Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

The stock tires on Snow need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 12:39 PM
CopperZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The stock tires on Snow need help!

I have the 18” turning wheels and tires. I live in IL, and recently we are getting hit with some heavy snow storms here. I looked around and 18” snow tires are either sold out or too expensive. So I will have to ride on my stock ones this winter. Let me tell you the traction is bad, I can’t even get up my driveway and that’s after shoveling all the snow.

Here is what did: I deflated the rear tires to about 29psi and put weights in the trunk about 115lbs added. Will that make it worse on the snow or better? Any suggestions? We are supposed to get a big snowstorm on Sun/Mon and I need to drive both of those days. Please help!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:48 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default You are screwed.

Just like me. I had no idea that the car came with summer tires.
Do like me, call in sick or rent a car.

gringott
Old 01-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Static

Hey man.. I live in the same area.. putting weight in the back is a great start man.. but I believe you want to inflate your rears not deflate them.. the wider the tire, the more you will be prone to going 'over' the snow instead of through it... As long as your tread is ok on the tire.. you should make it through 1-3 inches of snow ok.. just beware if it snows more.. and BEWARE of THICK slush/unplowed snow... The car WILL slide out the rear on you to the right with no warning.. trust me.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:01 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

Default Re: The stock tires on Snow need help!

CopperZ
I wish you the best of luck, but if you do not have time to get snow tires, then you might want to rent a vehicle during those days.

You are correct in deflating the tires, since that is what I did in the past when I ran my summer tires (different car) in snow. Week-long rental cars are not that expensive (cheaper than the deductable for an accident), and 17" rims and snow tires are more affordable than the 18" versions. Drive carefully.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:26 PM
CopperZ

Ok, now 1 guy says deflate tires another says inflate???? Hmm… Anyone else to break the tie?
I whish I did have $50 a day to pay for a rental. But I can’t even afford new tires. Mine are about 50% tread left. Static, i used to live in Northbrook and now I live in Libertyville. I had to drive on 294 from Nbk to Libertyville, during the snow storm on Mon or tues (whichever) it was hel,l no more then 30mph took me 1 hour to get home instead of 15min. I saw a suburban fly into the 294 ditch backwards and drive out unharmed.
1300 for 17" with snow tires from tire rack. But i just put in a In car PC....
Old 01-30-2004, 01:33 PM
seanrulz

I'm in southern IN, and this is the second winter I encounter with my Z. And it snowed like hell here this week, my Z is sleeping in the parking lot for 5 days now. Since it's 4 degrees outside right now, the snow WON'T melt down until nextweek, meaning that I won't be able to drive my Z til then. I don't even dream about pulling my Z out of the parking lot. I had it enough last winter. So I'm taking a bus these days.
Got soooo envious of my friend who has Audi A4 Quattro and another guy who has Mercedes Benz ML500.... 4WD rules at the snow!!! At least better than rear-wheel drive vehicle with summer tires...
Old 01-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Static

Originally posted by CopperZ
Ok, now 1 guy says deflate tires another says inflate???? Hmm… Anyone else to break the tie?
I whish I did have $50 a day to pay for a rental. But I can’t even afford new tires. Mine are about 50% tread left. Static, i used to live in Northbrook and now I live in Libertyville. I had to drive on 294 from Nbk to Libertyville, during the snow storm on Mon or tues (whichever) it was hel,l no more then 30mph took me 1 hour to get home instead of 15min. I saw a suburban fly into the 294 ditch backwards and drive out unharmed.
Hmm.. I can't say.. I always thought people said to keep your tires fully inflated in the snow... so thats what I'm going off of. Really.. were u sliding all over the place? See.. I got stuck in that HUGE storm last march coming from orland park back to Des Plaines.. and suprisingly, the Z handled it well and I was able to go about 35-40 on the side roads and fairly well on the highway.. but that ability falls of considerably as you lose tread.. but you have probably more than I did back then..
Old 01-30-2004, 02:23 PM
CopperZ

Old 01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
CopperZ

I don’t know why that just reposted… but yea I was sliding alllll over the place.
I also try to worm up my tires by swerving from side to side with my rear wheels. Will 16” tires fit?? I can get some 16” from an altima that’s just sitting at my grandfather place. (And I can’t use that car cuz uninsured and the plates are expired What’s the worst that can happen to me if I drive a car with no insurance and expired plates????)
Old 01-30-2004, 03:58 PM
ranger5oh

You want to defalte them. I saw a discovery channel special on trucks that race through the tundra, and they all deflate their tires. Wayyyy down. Same with sand or mud, always deflate for more traction.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:03 PM
CopperZ

Originally posted by ranger5oh
You want to defalte them. I saw a discovery channel special on trucks that race through the tundra, and they all deflate their tires. Wayyyy down. Same with sand or mud, always deflate for more traction.
University of Illinois - Aerospace Engineering
-Illinois State University - Physics
- Saint Louis University - M.B.A.

With those qualifications, ill take your advise.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Boomer

Default Re: The stock tires on Snow need help!

I have the 18” turning wheels and tires. I live in IL, and recently we are getting hit with some heavy snow storms here. I looked around and 18” snow tires are either sold out or too expensive. So I will have to ride on my stock ones this winter. Let me tell you the traction is bad, I can’t even get up my driveway and that’s after shoveling all the snow.

Here is what did: I deflated the rear tires to about 29psi and put weights in the trunk about 115lbs added. Will that make it worse on the snow or better? Any suggestions? We are supposed to get a big snowstorm on Sun/Mon and I need to drive both of those days. Please help!
Find a set of All Season tires or get dedicated snow tires. The OE tires are NOT RATED FOR SNOW, CHANGE NOW!! If your wallet is flat, get a rental, you will wreck your Z on the OE tires! It happened all over the Snow Belt last winter and people either parked their Zs or got other tires. I am not exaggerating the danger, I would buy a set of winter tires now if your Z is your daily driver.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:13 PM
kws

seanrulz

do u using a winter tire with your 350z ??????

my city is snowing now

and big snow storm too

i want to know 350z with snow tire can run on the snow?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by seanrulz
I'm in southern IN, and this is the second winter I encounter with my Z. And it snowed like hell here this week, my Z is sleeping in the parking lot for 5 days now. Since it's 4 degrees outside right now, the snow WON'T melt down until nextweek, meaning that I won't be able to drive my Z til then. I don't even dream about pulling my Z out of the parking lot. I had it enough last winter. So I'm taking a bus these days.
Got soooo envious of my friend who has Audi A4 Quattro and another guy who has Mercedes Benz ML500.... 4WD rules at the snow!!! At least better than rear-wheel drive vehicle with summer tires...
Rear wheel drive cars drive on snow very nicely, thank you. I drove rear wheel drive cars in the snow for over 20 years before I got my first front wheel driver. I have driven on ice! with rear wheel drive and have had 0 accidents. Believe it or not, all season high performance tires work very well and dedicated snow tires work even better. Mercedes cars have lots of rear wheel drive models that are driven on snow daily.

Just accept the fact summer tires are for super high performance in warm weather and move on to snows or all seasons w/chains, if needed, in winter. Store your summer tires in somebody's garage. Your Z does not have to sit idle during snow season.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:06 PM
CopperZ

Thanks for the advice, but I was really asking what would be better: letting the air out of the tire or having it at 35psi or above? I know that winter tires are much better then my tires right now. But I am too late, as I said before too expensive or sold out.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Boomer

Thanks for the advice, but I was really asking what would be better: letting the air out of the tire or having it at 35psi or above? I know that winter tires are much better then my tires right now. But I am too late, as I said before too expensive or sold out.
Deflate them then, just don't go so far you roll the tires off the rim. 28 psi would be as low as I would go. Have you checked with Tire Rack or Discount tire online? Ask them for 16" steel wheels and higher sidewall tires. 16" from 18" would be 55 or 60 aspect ratio. The smaller the diameter, the lower the price and they may be even cheaper at this time to clear inventory.

Discount Tire is a sponsor here, they may give you a great deal to get rid of some inventory. They won't be pretty, but they'll work. Discount has 2 sets of 4 wheels/tires for $449. 205/55/16s, they may work if you can swing it and ask for a break as a member here. Good luck.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-30-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:26 AM
CopperZ

Originally posted by Boomer
Deflate them then, just don't go so far you roll the tires off the rim. 28 psi would be as low as I would go. Have you checked with Tire Rack or Discount tire online? Ask them for 16" steel wheels and higher sidewall tires. 16" from 18" would be 55 or 60 aspect ratio. The smaller the diameter, the lower the price and they may be even cheaper at this time to clear inventory.

Discount Tire is a sponsor here, they may give you a great deal to get rid of some inventory. They won't be pretty, but they'll work. Discount has 2 sets of 4 wheels/tires for $449. 205/55/16s, they may work if you can swing it and ask for a break as a member here. Good luck.
wow $449 i will need to check that out. Its been a ling time since i Tried to figure out offset and all the measurements… so 16” will work that’s cool. And 205/55/16 is what I will need to look for the front and back?
Old 01-31-2004, 10:36 AM
Boomer

wow $449 i will need to check that out. Its been a ling time since i Tried to figure out offset and all the measurements… so 16” will work that’s cool. And 205/55/16 is what I will need to look for the front and back?
I just ran through their inventory of winter tire/wheel pkgs quickly and thats what I found. I would call them ASAP to see if one size front and back will work with no stagger. Your not planning to do a lot of ice racing, I hope, and maybe it won't matter. Or, you could get the same size wheels and different size tires to approximate the stagger. In your shoes, I wouldn't wait.