Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Problem with same tire size all around?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:27 PM
msims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with same tire size all around?

I think Im going to need new tires soon. The car has 11,000 miles, and the rears are wearing real thin on the inside of the tires ... not sure if rear alignment is covered under warranty? Also, the fronts are feathering ... im currently fighting with Nissan to fix that.

Anyways, when I was having my rear tire patched after a nail was in it, the monkey at the tire place told me to save myself the expense by putting the same size tire on all 4 wheels, because one of the tire sizes was over $200 each.

What is the draw back to having the same size tires all around? I have an '04 Enthusiast with 17" wheels.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Bertg

You should keep the staggered wheel sizes. The TCS and ABS may expect the stagger in the wheel sizes and not function correctly if it's not there.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:48 PM
lowrider

Do a search. Since you have 17s, you don't have VDC. But your TCS wont like the same size tires on both ends. Stick with the factory stagger, the car was designed around it. And remember your source was just what you said, a monkey. BTW, did he just repair the tire with a plug from the outside? Or did he remove the tire, patch it from the inside, and remount. I bet I can guess. If it was plugged, you don't want to run it that way for long.

BTW, you can go with Plus Zero sizing and have a wider choice in tires.

Go here:

http://discounttiredirect.com/direct...ep=searchTires

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 01-30-2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:57 PM
msims

Originally posted by lowrider
Do a search. Since you have 17s, you don't have VDC. But your TCS wont like the same size tires on both ends. Stick with the factory stagger, the car was designed around it. And remember your source was just what you said, a monkey. BTW, did he just repair the tire with a plug from the outside? Or did he remove the tire, patch it from the inside, and remount. I bet I can guess. If it was plugged, you don't want to run it that way for long.

BTW, you can go with Plus Zero sizing and have a wider choice in tires.

Go here:

http://discounttiredirect.com/direct...ep=searchTires

Lou
My goal is to keep the cost down as much as possible. With 11,000 miles in 4 months, needing to replace them this early ... tires are going to be a friggin huge cost of owning this car.

Yes, they did take the tire off and patch from the inside. They charged me $22.00 for the patch because of the large rim size. I think I got taken on that deal.

Two days later, I had a serious blowout on the freeway at 80 MPH (not on the tire that was patched). I heard a loud POP, and thought a rock hit the car. I didnt realize I had a flat until I changed lanes. But it looks like something went at high velocity through the edge of the flat part of the tire, straight out the side wall.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:56 PM
lowrider

So sorry to hear about the blowout. Glad you're OK. But, it's a proven fact, that most tires failures take place in it's last 10 to 15% of it's life, due to the thinner tread. You have a sports car, and it should have quality sports oriented tires. Otherwise, what's the point? As I said, Look at the Plus Zero sizings on Discount Tire Direct, and you will find some bargains. Look at the Dunlop SP5000s.

Lou
Old 01-30-2004, 07:00 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

few things, he was misleading you.

you can rotate the tires, pull them off the rims and mount the front right on the front left rim. sports cars have a good amount of camber in them so the outside tires roll flat in a corner giving maximum traction at the limit. this makes the insides wear much faster(I donno if its normal, but my 275s barely touch the ground on the outside edge)

by swapping sides you keep the direction and size, but ride on the other edge.

even if you go the same size what then? swap front and back, cause you cant swap side to side still due to directional tread(dont tell me he was reccomending non directional tread...)

normally front to back swaps are more useful for FWD cars anyway to give the fronts a break since they have to turn and pull.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:44 PM
msims

Originally posted by lowrider
So sorry to hear about the blowout. Glad you're OK. But, it's a proven fact, that most tires failures take place in it's last 10 to 15% of it's life, due to the thinner tread. You have a sports car, and it should have quality sports oriented tires. Otherwise, what's the point? As I said, Look at the Plus Zero sizings on Discount Tire Direct, and you will find some bargains. Look at the Dunlop SP5000s.

Lou
When I plus size, do I still need different sizes on the fronts then on the rears?
Old 01-31-2004, 04:05 AM
OP Z

Note the front and rear rim widths are different. Even if you have the same size tires, you still cannot rotate tires without taking the tires off the rims.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:53 AM
msims

Originally posted by OP Z
Note the front and rear rim widths are different. Even if you have the same size tires, you still cannot rotate tires without taking the tires off the rims.
Do you mean the width of the tire itself, or the actual distance between the tires when they are mounted on the car.

What I need to know is ... when I plus zero size them, do I still need to have different sized tires on the back as I do on the front. Right now, I have 235/50-17 on the rear, and 225/50-17 on the fronts. If I plus zero, can I use the same tire on all 4 rims, or does the car still need different aspect ratios on the back than it does on the front like I have now?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:05 AM
lowrider

Yes, they are different, as explained on the page I sent you to. Fronts are 245/45/17, rears are 245/50/17. Eather way (stock size or Plus Zero), you'll keep the stagger. OP Z is right, the wheels themselves are different widths, the fronts are 7.5" wide, the rears are 8" wide.

Lou
Old 01-31-2004, 09:13 AM
westpak
SFZCC

You don't seem to be grasping what others are telling, just go to a tire store and have them give your options. If you plus zero you are doing it to both front and rear so they will still be different sizes.

Or try the helpfull pages on www.tirerack.com and pick theh car and it will walk yout through it.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:55 PM
msims

Originally posted by westpak
You don't seem to be grasping what others are telling, just go to a tire store and have them give your options. If you plus zero you are doing it to both front and rear so they will still be different sizes.

Or try the helpfull pages on www.tirerack.com and pick theh car and it will walk yout through it.
Yes, you're correct. I didn't know the wheels themselves were different sizes. I thought just the TIRES were different sizes.

Thanks everyone for the info.

I need to order up some new tires, but in the mean time, I had a local shop throw on a used tire. I figured that was better than driving on the spare for two weeks.