Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Sorry, another TPS question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Bassmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, another TPS question.

Some people have said that a warning light will come on if I run my new wheels without my TPS. Where does this light appear, on the dash or the digital display? If its on the digital display can I still use the digital speedometer (its what I primarily use)?
And will a warning buzzer come on constantly or intermitantly at times to tell me I'm low?
I originally thought I could swap TPS to the new wheels without to much of a problem, but I cant find a tire shop that will do it (including my Nissan dealer who dosnt want to mess with 19" wheels not purchased thru them).
So it looks like I'm leaning towards NO TPS, which seems like a waste.

Thanks for the help

CS Track
Old 02-13-2004, 06:56 AM
jak

bassmaster,

When you remove the TPS sensors the digital display will blink and show two dashed lines where the tire pressure would read. When you start the car the digital display will always be on the tire pressure display. Once the car is running and the computer goes through its sequence you will be able to switch to the digital speedometer or any other function but a small PSI light at the bottom of the display will always flash.

There will also be a dash light below the fuel gauge that will be continuously on.

A partial remedy to resolve these issues is to disconnect the TPS receiver which is located behind the panel that the cup holder is in. Disconnecting the receiver will solve the digital display issues. The digital display will no longer flash PSI and the display will no longer default to the tire pressure reading. The digital display will work as it did but show dashes in the tire pressure reading.

The dash light below the fuel gauge however will always be on. I have disconnected the battery to reset the ECU and I tried clearing the ECU electronically. I also took the car to the Nissan dealer to have them clear the warning light. Bottom line is you can't turn off the warning light. The only way to turn off the warning light is to remove the bulb.

I drove the car this way for a while and it drove nuts. Also a lot of people would ask me what was wrong with the car since I had the warning light on all the time.

I would band the sensors to the wheels. If it is done right you will have no problems. That is what I did with my 19" HRE's.

Jeff
Old 02-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Bassmaster

Thanks Jeff. I apprrciate the response. I finally got the Nissan dealer to swap my TPS from stock to Volk LE37. Charged me $170, wich I think is resonable, and I'm glad I did it. They did break one (TPS) however and will be replaced at no charge. I have to drive around with one Track tire until new TPS shows up, so now I know first hand....its just as you say.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:33 PM
350ed
Professional

Hmmm, no lights for me... wonder why. It came on once but never again.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Bassmaster

The Nissan dealer put about 20 lbs of air In all my tires, the result was buzzer's and lights going off everwhere. swap the TPS!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 AM
drivesolo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a 2nd set of stock 18" wheels w/ no TPS. They're used for my autoX tires (same sizes as stock) so I don't have a need for the TPS. This past weekend while driving up to a practice day (about a 1 hour trip) the Tire Pressure Warning Light came on about 45 minutes into the trip. No audible alarm or anything, just the light.

I considered pulling over but though that this must be a mistake because how could the car know that the tire pressure was low if it didn't have the TPS. The car felt fine, no noise from the wheels, no change in the steering wheel feel so I figured I continue on sinc I was almost there. When I got to the event I immediately checked the pressures on all my wheels and crawled all over the tires for any signs of an embedded screw or nail. Nada.

I ran the whole day and the warning light never came on again. While driving home, like clock-work, 45 minutes into my drive the light came on again.

So what's going on here? Does the Z's computer just miss the TPS's? And since it's lonely it tries to get some attention?

I see that this is a problem w/ some guys on this forum but not many. I figure that this isn't intentionally designed and it's only happeneing to a few vehicles.

I'd rather not butcher my instrument console (yet) just to get that light to turn off. Anyone have any further insight into this issue that might be able to propose a solution? I'd take it to the dealship but I don't want to give up the car for a couple of days now that the weather is starting to get nice.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:08 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Isn't there a fuse or something u can pull to disable the TPS system?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:02 PM
LeMansZCa

if anyone want to pull out their TPS control unit from behind the cup holder area...PM me!!

I would like to convert my non TPS touring to have the tire pressure displayed in the center display...

not sure if it's evenpossible!!! I have the 18" track rim with TPS...

or if u know it's impossible... pls let me know!

thanks
Old 04-07-2004, 10:21 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by drivesolo
I purchased a 2nd set of stock 18" wheels w/ no TPS. They're used for my autoX tires (same sizes as stock) so I don't have a need for the TPS. This past weekend while driving up to a practice day (about a 1 hour trip) the Tire Pressure Warning Light came on about 45 minutes into the trip. No audible alarm or anything, just the light.

I considered pulling over but though that this must be a mistake because how could the car know that the tire pressure was low if it didn't have the TPS. The car felt fine, no noise from the wheels, no change in the steering wheel feel so I figured I continue on sinc I was almost there. When I got to the event I immediately checked the pressures on all my wheels and crawled all over the tires for any signs of an embedded screw or nail. Nada.

I ran the whole day and the warning light never came on again. While driving home, like clock-work, 45 minutes into my drive the light came on again.

So what's going on here? Does the Z's computer just miss the TPS's? And since it's lonely it tries to get some attention?

I see that this is a problem w/ some guys on this forum but not many. I figure that this isn't intentionally designed and it's only happeneing to a few vehicles.

I'd rather not butcher my instrument console (yet) just to get that light to turn off. Anyone have any further insight into this issue that might be able to propose a solution? I'd take it to the dealship but I don't want to give up the car for a couple of days now that the weather is starting to get nice.
I've had this exacty same thing happen. I don't think it is a flaw. I have never had a problem when all my sensors are working, and now that one is broken I get a warning all the time like everyone else. I therefore believe the system was always functioning as intended. I think it is designed this way on purpose (not sure exactly what the purpose is, but since the behavior is so consistent I think it is extremely unlikely that it is a problem).

-D'oh!