Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Hot Spots on my rotor

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 06:22 AM
wicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Spots on my rotor

So I am one of those **** guys, that gets the oil changed every 1001 miles every maintaince stop done on time etc., etc.. I drive my car alot, everyday I am actually at 37,598 miles.

Anyways i went in for an oil change and 25,000 and 26,000 and both time i asked them to just look at my brake pads and make sure their ok, living in LA i ride them alot. Last time i went they said my break pads were still atleast at 80% i thought wow on 20% wear in over a year of hard driving those are some brembos.

So i go in yesterday for an oil change and descide to get my 30000 mile maintainance because i started to hear a funny sound in my drivers side front tire. Well my pads were down to 10% wow i ran through 70% of my pads in a month? and now i have hot spots on my rotors, which mean i have to replace them at $518.00 a peice.

Do they even look at your brakes and stuff when u ask them too or do they just say all is good hoping something breaks so they can make more money.

Does anyone think NNA will pay for my rotors?
Old 02-17-2004, 07:30 AM
Type R Boy

Rotors are wear and tear, I doubt Nissan would even think twice about not giving you any type of a break. I have seen ppl kill their rotors after 3000kms so they would just blame your driving habits.

I didnt know that the rotors are so expensive from the dealer, thats outrageous. You'd be better off buying aftermarket ones.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Audito350Z

is there a compelling reason for changing the oil every 1000 miles? and as for your brakes, why do you "ride them alot"?

I doubt you ran through 70% of your pads in a month... more likely they intended to tell you you used 80%, not had 80% remaining, at the last oil change.

And.. what are hot spots on the rotor? Is that something the service guy is telling you? Unless the rotors are below the minumum threshold for thickness you don't have to replace them. If there is pad material deposited onto the rotor you can remove it with gritty steel wool or a quick machine job.

Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you new rotors when you don't need them. Ask them to measure the rotor thickness, watch them do it, record the thickness, then ask them to show you in the service manual what is the minimum thickness allowable.

You will need new brake pads... so have them install those. And, try not to ride the brakes... that will prematurely wear out pads and rotors and cause your brake fluid to get unnecessarily hot. With 30k on the car you sohuld have the brake fluid flushed and replaced.

Hope that helps,

PeteH
Old 02-17-2004, 10:32 AM
MonkeyBoy

I have to agree with Pete up above. Buy some Hawk HPS pads at discount tire direct online, go to another shop when you get them and have them turn your rotors for you. Actually, your rotors should be turned every time you have a break job anyway. Sounds like that dealer would just turn your rotors without you being any the wiser and charge you for it.

If you ACTUALLY do need new rotors, buy some aftermarket online for a lot cheaper and take those with you too. Never pay retail at a shop.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:31 AM
Jewelz350

If your set on having Brembo rotors, I bought slotted Brembos from TireRack for about $400 for the front set of 2.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:02 AM
Jason Bourne

You have changed the oil 37 times in a year or so?

Do you have membership rewards at your dealer or something? You'd think they would give you free rotors for being a good customer...

Jason
Old 02-18-2004, 06:59 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha, that is alot of oil changes. I understand not going the full life, but realisticly with synthetic oil you could go 5 or even 7000miles between changes without hurting anything. 3000 is already very safe.

not the topic though. on a past truck I got "heat cracks" as per the dealerships words. checked the internet and for that car they were common. basicly the rotor got so hot it developed tiny cracks that would act like sand paper on the pads, burned through them fast. I highly doubt thats what your problem is, as your not stopping 7000lbs.

Id get new pads and be on my way. have them turn the rotors perhaps, since this is your first brake job it should be the first time for the rotors as well, and they should be well within the specs.

the idea of having used only 30% of your pads in 35000miles is absurd. unless you never stop. I think that is where the confusion is at.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:39 AM
BigRich

Heh, with only 8000m total, I had 100% wear on the rears and 60% on the fronts (after hitting the track 2 weekends in a row)...

That aside, if you have to swap the rotors, do something like stoptech slotted rotors...fairly cheap at ~$300 a pair (at Performance Nissan's site).

Good luck...