Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Just Bought New Wheels! Need Help With Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM
MissFairlady_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Bought New Wheels! Need Help With Fitment

Hi Guys!
I just bought some new wheels for my 350Z. They are the ESR SR01's. I got 18 x 9.5+22 for the fronts and 18 x 10.5+22 for the rear. I did a lot of research on what sizes I should go and that is what I came up with. Now, the big question, what tire size do I run on the fronts and then the rears? I am hoping to get a little poke in the rear since my stocks are tucked under right now. Really more concerned with the rear fitment rather than the front.
I am at stock height right now too and am hoping to change that after I get these wheels how I want them. What should I do about lessening the wheel gap? Wanting to stay around springs and not go the coilover route. I just need some tips on what will look best.
I am still trying to learn as much about my Z as I can since I came from the mustang world lol

Last edited by MissFairlady_Z; 01-29-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

"...18 x 9.5+22 for the fronts and 18 x 10.5+22 for the rear. I did a lot of research..."
You made a good call on wheel specs, widths and offsets are in the typical upgrade range (but you knew that).

"...what tire size do I run on the fronts and then the rears...
  • (F) 245/40 or 255/40
  • (R) 275/40 (285 as well but the ratio starts to change...and rolling might come into play...and there's the default under-steer to consider...and...)
* Plenty more tire setup choices available for those wheel-sizes. The above input assumes your looking for basic sizing in 18's and typical fitment/performance without issues. You want stretch or "the fattest rubber" etc., you'll have to get that input from others and the archive, more than I'm willing to type in response.

That "little poke in the rear" you're looking for...your not going to get "more" from tire sizing. Your at 10.5" +22, you are 17.4mm closer to the strut and 33.4mm (1.3") out-board over stock, that's fixed. What you will get from tire sizing is a different side-wall profile & changes in performance characteristics. e.g. a 275 on your 10.5" will have a slight stretch, a more rounded shoulder profile and corresponding handling characteristics that particular profile affords versus a 285 that will be a more vertical side-wall blah...blah... They "poke the same" but appearance and handling will differ greatly from one size/brand/compound/design/etc. to another. Bottom-line, two things; 1) you will be satisfied with any common tire size on a 10.5" +22 out-back versus what you have stock but 2) Your next move, a potential drop, adds more to the equation/decision. Don't ignore this, if you "drop a lot" you must mod more (alignment considerations) and your tire choice is more critical to ensure fitment (e.g. fender rolling).

"...stock height...now...hoping to change that...What should I do about lessening the wheel gap? Wanting...springs...[instead of] coil-over route.
Others will chime-in but...conventional wisdom would point to something akin to the Bilstein B12 ProKit. A static, traditional suspension kit tuned for the Z33, provides a mild drop to close the gap, decent quality/ride/performance and inexpensive. As with rubber, many, many choices can be made here as well.

"...tips on what will look best.
Cant answer that, and there's no "best" as your previous research has proven I'm sure. My two-cents, always bias performance over aesthetics. Only you [owner] can make the call on what ya' like and what handling requirements you'll need/tolerate (trade-offs).

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:12 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by No_name
You made a good call on wheel specs, widths and offsets are in the typical upgrade range (but you knew that).
  • (F) 245/40 or 255/40
  • (R) 275/40 (285 as well but the ratio starts to change...and rolling might come into play...and there's the default under-steer to consider...and...)
* Plenty more tire setup choices available for those wheel-sizes. The above input assumes your looking for basic sizing in 18's and typical fitment/performance without issues. You want stretch or "the fattest rubber" etc., you'll have to get that input from others and the archive, more than I'm willing to type in response.

That "little poke in the rear" you're looking for...your not going to get "more" from tire sizing. Your at 10.5" +22, you are 17.4mm closer to the strut and 33.4mm (1.3") out-board over stock, that's fixed. What you will get from tire sizing is a different side-wall profile & changes in performance characteristics. e.g. a 275 on your 10.5" will have a slight stretch, a more rounded shoulder profile and corresponding handling characteristics that particular profile affords versus a 285 that will be a more vertical side-wall blah...blah... They "poke the same" but appearance and handling will differ greatly from one size/brand/compound/design/etc. to another. Bottom-line, two things; 1) you will be satisfied with any common tire size on a 10.5" +22 out-back versus what you have stock but 2) Your next move, a potential drop, adds more to the equation/decision. Don't ignore this, if you "drop a lot" you must mod more (alignment considerations) and your tire choice is more critical to ensure fitment (e.g. fender rolling).

Others will chime-in but...conventional wisdom would point to something akin to the Bilstein B12 ProKit. A static, traditional suspension kit tuned for the Z33, provides a mild drop to close the gap, decent quality/ride/performance and inexpensive. As with rubber, many, many choices can be made here as well.

Cant answer that, and there's no "best" as your previous research has proven I'm sure. My two-cents, always bias performance over aesthetics. Only you [owner] can make the call on what ya' like and what handling requirements you'll need/tolerate (trade-offs).

Welcome to the forum.
^^^ What he said.

To add to that, a few visuals equaling a few thousand words worth.... I have a buhzillion pics of diff wheel/tire configs on my cars but these are the best illustrations of your exact sizings with your anticipated suspension mods.

19x9.5 & 19x10.5 (+22 F&R), 255/35-19 & 285/35-19 (never mind the diff wheel diameter, same overall diameter and width as your 18s with 255/40 and 285/40)

Rear fenders are rolled and sealed. You might not need this if:

a) You run slightly smaller sizes, 245/275 and/or...
b) If you stay at stock height.

Note: This is actually just guessing as I rolled my fenders only after ~10+ sets of 245/275, all with offsets above +20. The moment I went 9.5 +15 square, I needed the roll. But after that, every set I've put on (even had a set of 295s on 11" rears on it for a test fit) all fit with no interference.

Car is lowered 19mm on static setup - Eibach ProKit, Koni Sport

Alignment set at lowest end of range using SPC FUCA, rear toe arms/offset cam bolt.

Just for sake of full disclosure, these are Kumho PS91s, a really decent responding, quiet, "budget" tire that I'd easily buy again (and about to order for diff application). I also like another budget tire, the Sumitomo HTRZ 3. But if you feel more comfortable with the "mainstream recommendations", of course you can't go wrong with Michelin PSS (or whatever the latest is called), Bridgestone S-04 PP, Conti DW, etc. These have all served me well.

Hope visual aids help.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You have purchased the most versatile (and I dare say, “ideal”) wheel size for the 350z.

A good tire setup for your new wheels is 245/40-18” front and 275/40-18” rear. Because you are still on the stock suspension, you won’t need to roll or stretch fenders with these tire sizes.

After mounting your new tire/wheel setup, you will be tempted to swap in new shocks and springs for better handling and to drop the car. If you select springs and shocks that lower the car less than an inch, you can keep the rest of your suspension components and probably won’t need to roll/stretch your fenders.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:11 PM
350Z.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

same as what @spike said. 245 & 275
Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

I say 255/40 on front... gives a squared up shoulder of the tire
The following users liked this post:
Spike100 (02-05-2018)