Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

who's using hub-centric rings??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:57 PM
havabooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's using hub-centric rings??

i have iforged wheels and was told that they are hubcentric already...when i got tires mounted and balanced the tire guy said i could use some rings

do they really make a difference..and are they all the same size for aftermarket wheels?
Old 03-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no they vary by centerbore

Call I Forged and ask them - not all "wheel and tire" guys know what they are talking about frankly.....certainly not in the realm of aftermarket.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:14 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the hub carries the weight of the car, not the bolts. bolts just hold the rim onto the hub.

so its pretty important that the hub be snug to the rim.

with that said, I have hubcentric rims, they are nescessary for the volks(or so I assume, unless they have other hub sizes)
Old 03-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my wheels were already hubcentric - no rings needed....most aftermarket wheels do need rings
Old 03-04-2004, 10:17 PM
bkchang79

Where can I get hubcentric rings? Does this affect the offset? Would I need longer wheels studs?
Old 03-05-2004, 05:21 AM
ares
Veteran

no. doesnt effect anything, it goe between the hub and the inner circle of the rim. most tire installers should have them on hand in any size.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:32 AM
havabooz

well iforged said they come hubcentric..when the tire shop was tightening the bolts on the wheels they immediately said that they werent hubcentric...is there a way to tell?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:14 AM
ares
Veteran

ummm pull the lug nuts off, and then see if the tire will move up down or around, it should still be stiff to the hub not held on by the bolts.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:05 AM
havabooz

yeh..thats the thing...i dont think it was...the guy told me it shouldnt be wobbling around (he had one lug nut on at the time)

i have stockers on right now...when the one wheel gets back from the finisher i will put some rings on....what are the diff sizes though..should the tire installer be able to tell?
Old 03-05-2004, 10:49 AM
bkchang79

Originally posted by havabooz
yeh..thats the thing...i dont think it was...the guy told me it shouldnt be wobbling around (he had one lug nut on at the time)

i have stockers on right now...when the one wheel gets back from the finisher i will put some rings on....what are the diff sizes though..should the tire installer be able to tell?
When I put my wheels on, I have to move it around just a little to center the lugs, so they seat right (it's a must since the iforged lug holes are very narrow). This is what my wheel looks from behind, can you guys tell me if they're hubcentric? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails who's using hub-centric rings??-hub.jpg  
Old 03-05-2004, 06:40 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hub centric means that the hole in the wheel is essentially the same diameter as the boss on the hub. When you put the wheel on, their will be no positional slop, and you will only be able to rotate the wheel with respect to the hub.

Most aftermarket wheels have holes that are larger than the boss on the hub of the Z. This is done so the wheels will fit other cars with a larger boss. If you don't have the ring then your lug nuts will center the wheel as you tighten them, as long as you tighten them evenly. This happens because the lugnuts have a wedge shaped end. If you are not pulling your wheels on and off frequently, then it doesn't matter much which way you go. However, if you change wheels often (like if you track and switch to race tires frequently) then it is much easier if you have the hub rings so you don't have to hold the wheel up while evenly tightening the lug nuts.

The hub rings are little plastic rings, and you should be able to get them for free from the people you bought the wheel from. All you have to do is pull off the wheel, put the ring on the boss (or in the wheel hole) and then put the wheel back on.

I went through this process when I got my race tires because at first they forgot to give me the rings and then I went back and asked for them after changing my wheels a couple times.

-D'oh!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:51 PM
mucky

I Have iForged wheels and Dumbass Vince said my wheels were also hubcentric. You need the rings. They are a pretty standard size. The guys at Discount tire said mine were the same size that went on BMW. The place doing the mounting should have the rings. You'll notice the difference when they are on.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 03-05-2004, 09:50 PM
ares
Veteran

you cant tell from a photograph. all you can see is you dont have a hubcentric ring, but you may or may not need one.

Doh put it best, if its all the way onto the hub, and you can still lift the tire up, it needs one.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:57 PM
350ed
Professional

So anyone buy these online yet?
Old 03-05-2004, 10:09 PM
mucky

havabooz,
Trust me, you need the rings. I have delt with Vince at iForged and he got angry when I callded him from the tire shop asking if I needed The rings and he was certain I did not. He was very wrong. Get the rings!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Bassmaster

When my Volks came I imediatly took them to the Nissan dealer to have them installed (I didnt even open the boxs). To make a long story short, I had to remove a wheel later on and did not see anything that resembled a "ring" inside the wheel. I did not watch the instal and I am now wondering if the dealer put them on.
Who has a picture or can discribe what they look like?
I wouldnt be surprized if the "bone-heads" at my dealer simply didnt bother. After all, they brock a TPS and dented my rocker panal during the instal. Didnt fess up to the dent either, my word against theres.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 03:33 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what your rim size is, but your hub size is 66.06. You will have to call your wheel seller to get the hub bore of that particular model or use a dial caliper. Then order a hub ring with I.D. of 66.06 and a O.D. which is just a bit smaller than the actual hub bore of the rim. It should snap or press into the wheel bore and then seat on the hub snuggly when lined up. If you get plastic ones you may have to replace them on occasion from wear and tear. Especially if you track or autocross.

I can recommend either of these guys for prompt service on hub rings.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com has them and they are
a sponsor of this site.

Or

http://www.prestigewheel.com/HubRingsbyMake.asp

Many tire shops have no idea what these are. I went to a national chain "discount" tire store in town to get some, and they were like huh?

Here's a pic of hub rings from discount tire direct's site.
Attached Thumbnails who's using hub-centric rings??-hubring2.jpg  

Last edited by zillinois; 03-06-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:21 AM
mucky

I went to discount tire and they knew Exactly what hubcentric rings were. I had no idea. The ones I have are just plastic and work fine. Like I said before, they said the size was common and they had them in stock. I'm pretty sure all the iForged wheels have the same hub bore. Go to discount tire. They will take care if it
Old 03-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Type R Boy

Dont most companies give them to you? My Volks came with some JDM metal rings, did I just get lucky?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:02 AM
havabooz

MUCKY...i know EXACTLY how u feel...vince did the same thing when i called him from the tire shop....anyway...do you remember what size ring you got from discount tire?..im sure all iforged wheels need the same ring

I HAVE HEARD that if you tighten the lugs in a certain way as D'OH explained then you wont need the rings but id rather have the rings

anyhow thanks for all the responses i will see if the guy at the tire shop has them..if not i will try and find out what size i need and buy them from discount tire

Quick Reply: who's using hub-centric rings??