Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers
View Poll Results: Should I keep my TPS?
Yes. It could save your tires, maybe even your life!
54.05%
No. Not worth the trouble, just check your tires before you get into your car.
18.92%
Maybe. See if they fit, if so just mount them without calibrating. If not, sell them.
27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

TPS: more trouble than it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Strife350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TPS: more trouble than it's worth?

I have a touring 6mt and I'm about to order my new wheels... I'm told by the vendor that the TPS may or may not fit... and not only that, my tps positions have all been mixed up anyways (when I removed them off my stockers, the shop put them all in one zip lock bag).

So my question is, should I even bother metal-banding/recalibrating the TPS? what are the pros and cons?

It's a cool feature, and I'd really love to have it... but not using them will save me the above mentioned headache, and save about 150 bucks on combined shipping/mounting/balancing (if I put the TPS on myself, the tires will ship separate from the rim... if i don't mount, the shop will mount/balance for me).

Your thoughts please
Old 04-01-2004, 07:22 AM
2003z

I voted no, but I will be putting mine back in when my rims return from iforged, because I can. I have run without them for a year and a half. The low tire psi idiot light coming on after 30-40 minutes is annoying, but if you check your tires regularly and have a good feel for the car, you should be ok.

feel for the car, its very subtle when you have a flat. I felt a low front tire on my car, it just didn't feel normal for some reason, but didn't feel like a flat either. I checked it anyway and it was down to 12 psi once when I got a nail. My wife, on the other hand, drove on a flat 18" tire on our old BMW and didn't feel the difference, and ruined the tire.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:30 AM
jckolnturn

I put my TPS into my volk GT-7's with the bands and some zip ties. No problems with it so far. The shop I bought my wheels from installed them for me, no recalibrations needed. I just don't know how to figure out which sensor goes on which wheel or how to reset them if you didn't label them. I'd rather have them in then take a chance of not knowing i'm running low and ruining my rim.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 AM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

That is definately a tough call. I think it's a great feature with low profile tires but definately a hassle. If you decide to go with them make sure who ever installs knows what they're doing and will stand behind the work.

It is not a feature i would add on to a car but if you got it you should use it. IMO
Old 04-01-2004, 02:16 PM
silverstoneTT

This is of interest to me now. Out of curiosity, what determines whether or not it will fit? Do all valve stems just screw in?

I will duck (duct) tape those sensors and krazy glue them on if they dont fit. I hate warning lights...
Old 08-23-2004, 04:18 PM
TtOrMaMnY

i dont think its worth it.. just have a feel for your car or check your tires!
Old 08-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Hazade

I really dont feel they are that useful to the point it would be worth doing it, but I would probably do it anyway just to avoid the annoyance of the idiot light
Old 08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up TPMS system is good!

Originally posted by silverstoneTT
This is of interest to me now. Out of curiosity, what determines whether or not it will fit? Do all valve stems just screw in?
Having and using your TPMS system is just plain smart. As noted on other responses, not everyone has a "feel" for when the tire is low on pressure - especially true of the ultra low profile tires we currently run on the Z33. You cannot tell a low tire just by looking - when I changed tires, I was very surprised at how stiff the sidewall is on a low profile tire as there was hardly any sidewall bulging or deflection when ALL the air was let out of the tire! Running on a low profile tire that is deflated will quickly lead to a ruined tire that requires replacement instead of possible repair if you can catch the low pressure indication of a puncture quickly. That is what the TPMS is for! Folks, for safety's sake, keep, maintain and use your onboard TPMS - why else would they be a mandatory feature on all 2006 new cars sold in the U.S.? The cost and hazzard of fixing a ruined tire far outweighs the cost/maintenance of the TPMS system. I liked the Z33 TPMS system enough to install an aftermarket system on my new Murano SUV! In each case, the TPMS system warned me of a punctured tire before I could leave my housing development in the morning to go to work. Very worthwhile safety feature to have working for you monitoring tire pressures while driving!

(To answer the question above) All valve stems screw in - but what determines if the Nissan TPS fits an aftermarket wheel is the shape of the wheel "land" immediately behind the valve stem hole. See pic for illustration; the land behind the valve hole should be flat to clear the TPS valve mechanism. Wheels such as the Volk GT7 with the valve hole clear in the middle of the rim behind the spokes will not accept a valve stem shaped like the TPS. HTH
Attached Thumbnails TPS: more trouble than it's worth?-tire-pressure-sensor.jpg  
Old 08-24-2004, 12:24 PM
lgarcia

Has anyone installed TPSM on Nismo wheels?
Old 08-24-2004, 12:25 PM
ChinaClipper

Default Re: TPS: sensor position irrelevant

Originally posted by Strife350z
... and not only that, my tps positions have all been mixed up anyways (when I removed them off my stockers, the shop put them all in one zip lock bag).
Go ahead and remount the TPS sensors without regard to wheel position. Then go to your friendly Nissan dealer and tell him you need the TPMS system "reinitialized" so the onboard computer recognizes the new TPS positions. Should only take 10-15 minutes!

It will be worth having when you take a nail or puncture a tire while on the freeway at speed. The TPMS will sound, and you will pull over to the side of the road to change tires instead of fighting an out of control car when the tread separates from the tire carcass upon blowout.

Last edited by ChinaClipper; 08-24-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:26 PM
ChinaClipper

Thumbs up Yes!

Originally posted by lgarcia
Has anyone installed TPS on Nismo wheels?
Yes I have - they fit perfectly!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:30 PM
synth19

not worth the extra cost imo. I have a track and changed the wheels to some 19's. I didnt install the TPS and luckily my sensor has yet to act up (been about 1k miles so far). Anyways, people have surrvived withour TPS.... check check em once in awhile.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:18 AM
ltk

Does anyone know where I can get a band kit for the TPS? I'm not sure how the attach the sensors to the band without making something custom.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:47 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not the type of driver that can feel that you have a tire low on air pressure, then you are not the kind of driver that is going to pull over when the TPS starts going off. I say ditch it and get a good feel for your car. Check your tire pressures every oil change and before any long trips.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:13 PM
ltk

Anyone come up with a way just to disable all associated lights with the TPS? I've unplugged the box for it, but still get the warning by my fuel guage that it's not working properly. I was thinking of just throwing all the sensors in my spare tire and keeping it in the trunk, but I can't think of a way to turn them on since their motion activated. Maybe someone can take this idea a little further and come up with something that'll work. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:51 AM
E_Z_HOES

can you explain to me how the TPS was mounted on you VOLKS or even pics? THANKS..
Old 03-18-2005, 11:48 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by E_Z_HOES
can you explain to me how the TPS was mounted on you VOLKS or even pics? THANKS..

bump - same question

Should I have the wheels and tires sent unmounted so that I can put the tps in ?