Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Axis supermesh-not happy

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 02:02 PM
ThreeFitty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Axis supermesh-not happy

Anyone else have axis superwheels? I bought them because of the deep lip but the quality of the wheel wasn't what I expected. On the first set I recieved my right rear wheel kept losing air so we pulled the wheel and found a casting defect (a small pin hole in the lip), and that was begining. They did replace the rim but I had to pay for the remounting and balancing of the original tire. The axis logo on the lip is a sticker which fell off after 3 months, and the center caps are already fadeing. The wheels are only 5 months old and have less than 3000 miles on them. Anyone else have any of these problems?

I already ordered a set of volks- 2nd set of wheels in 6 months.... not happy.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:23 PM
jj1814

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

centercaps fading? Never heard of this about axis wheels.

Rob Nance has Super Mesh, if I recall correctly

Last edited by jj1814; 05-02-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:38 PM
ThreeFitty

The center caps they sent are the ones with the fake cotter pins in them. Their painted silver and the paint is wearing off already.
I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Rob Nance

I have the "Axis" center caps, not the single lug look with the cotter pin and have had no problems. I don't love the Axis logos on the wheel either, but then these were some seriously cheap wheels with a huge lip, something that is hard to find. I have been very happy with mine.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:38 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:49 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by Traffic
You get what you pay for.
thats funny because there are a whole lot of happy ADR customers on this site who spent around a thousand bucks for their rims with no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Traffic

Originally posted by zeroday
thats funny because there are a whole lot of happy ADR customers on this site who spent around a thousand bucks for their rims with no problems whatsoever.
I'm sure there are. But would I put ADRs on my car? No, just like many people can't justify the cost of Volk or IForged. Just like there are people that have whatever brand wheels that have not had and won't have a problem. But will ADR or Axis be identical to Work or Rays in quality? No.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:28 AM
ThreeFitty

I tried to save some cash and got bit. I'm glad your having better luck than I did, make sure you keep an eye on the logos because mine came off on the hwy and was lost forever.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by Traffic
I'm sure there are. But would I put ADRs on my car? No, just like many people can't justify the cost of Volk or IForged. Just like there are people that have whatever brand wheels that have not had and won't have a problem. But will ADR or Axis be identical to Work or Rays in quality? No.
the quality is close enough on axis rims (to me) to justify not spending the extra $ on volks. the way i look at it, it's a nissan, not a porsche 911...spending 3500$+ on rims for a car that cost <35k seems disproportionate to me. top dollar wheels on an inexpensive sports car like the z just seems odd. to each is own though. i have a watch that cost me more than a set of 19" volk rims...so i guess everyone has their priorities.

i just can't see how you can say there is a direct relationship to this guy's problems and what he paid. there are many people with similarly priced rims that dont have this problem. hell, i've seen people with brand new volks that didn't hold air...i will say this though; every time someone posts about problems with their rims and they arent volks/work/ etc, you get a 'you get what you pay for post' . it's a bit presumptuous while being generally unhelpful to the thread starter IMHO.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Traffic

the quality is close enough on axis rims (to me) to justify not spending the extra $ on volks. the way i look at it, it's a nissan, not a porsche 911...spending 3500$+ on rims for a car that cost <35k seems disproportionate to me. top dollar wheels on an inexpensive sports car like the z just seems odd. to each is own though. i have a watch that cost me more than a set of 19" volk rims...so i guess everyone has their priorities.

i just can't see how you can say there is a direct relationship to this guy's problems and what he paid. there are many people with similarly priced rims that dont have this problem. hell, i've seen people with brand new volks that didn't hold air...i will say this though; every time someone posts about problems with their rims and they arent volks/work/ etc, you get a 'you get what you pay for post' . it's a bit presumptuous while being generally unhelpful to the thread starter IMHO.
Ok, that's your opinion.

ThreeFitty,

I haven't heard of anyone with the succession of problems you had with your Axis wheels.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:03 PM
absolutchi

i'm sorry to hear you're having so many issues. i haven't run with the axis supermesh on my Z33. But I owned a Mitsu 3000GT for many years and had the very first set of supermesh sent out to my part of the country and kept them for over a year and a half and enjoyed them with no problems whatsoever. I also had the centercaps with the axis logo on them instead of the pinned kind like u have. I don't think they should have sold them the way you bought them personally but that's just my opinion. Wish i knew what to tell you but those were the third set of axis wheels i've owned and i've never had issues with them.

But I think Z's are much nicer cars than my old 3KGT and I'm probably gonna get some gunmetal Volk SF Challenge 19's if i can find them anywhere. Most people are just selling the silver ones.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:17 PM
rodH

the problem with that for me is that for just $1000 more on higher end wheels, a Z can go from looking like it belongs in the same class as an RSX to the same class as an M3 or 911. To me it is a must.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:49 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by rodH
the problem with that for me is that for just $1000 more on higher end wheels, a Z can go from looking like it belongs in the same class as an RSX to the same class as an M3 or 911. To me it is a must.
you should try to understand that 98% of the population won't even notice the rims no matter how nice they are. we're car guys that's why we notice rims...the only way to be in the same class as the m3/911 is to buy one. the z is an exceptional car for the money, but if you're looking for status, rims won't do it for ya...its all about the car. only way a z will be in the same class as an e46 m3/911 is if it's sc'd or tc'd...and even that's subjective since most people wouldn't know or care what you got under the hood... bottom line is to be in the same clas as an m3/911 in all respects, you need to buy one. no one is gonna look at your z and think it's in the same league as the m3/911.

trust me if you owned a porsche 911 tt you're gonna look at a dodge neon likeit's a dodge neon...even if it's rollin on HRE's. Same concept applies to the Z. it is what it is regardless of mods. sorry but it's the truth. i enjoy the z for what it is. an affordable sports car that's alot of fun.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:28 PM
kzshin

Not all the Volks cost $3500. Most Volks cost around $2000. Axis are just knock off rims (They copied other Wheel manufacture's design). Volks and Axis are not equal.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:47 PM
rodH

you should try to understand that 98% of the population won't even notice the rims no matter how nice they are. we're car guys that's why we notice rims...the only way to be in the same class as the m3/911 is to buy one. the z is an exceptional car for the money, but if you're looking for status, rims won't do it for ya...its all about the car. only way a z will be in the same class as an e46 m3/911 is if it's sc'd or tc'd...and even that's subjective since most people wouldn't know or care what you got under the hood... bottom line is to be in the same clas as an m3/911 in all respects, you need to buy one. no one is gonna look at your z and think it's in the same league as the m3/911.

trust me if you owned a porsche 911 tt you're gonna look at a dodge neon likeit's a dodge neon...even if it's rollin on HRE's. Same concept applies to the Z. it is what it is regardless of mods. sorry but it's the truth. i enjoy the z for what it is. an affordable sports car that's alot of fun.
interesting points.

1. I have grown up in a family that is into very high end cars, and yes they all seemed to think that putting good quality wheels on the Z with the right offsets significantly upgrades the look. The Z, the NSX, the S2000 and other such cars are fitted with pretty lame stock wheels and upgrading them, I think makes the overall car look significantly better (even to the average Joe).

2. I once had a freind that would laugh at me because I would always change wheels and say "it doesn't make the car look any different". Well, now that friend rolls on after market wheels. People may say that and think they mean it, but I don't think it is true. It is sort of like someone who shaves thier eye-brows, you make look at that person and say "he looks different but I don't know what it is", but you know there is something different.

Maybe you are right 98% of the population doesn't understand it, but I would say that that would be 98% of the world population, and those people in the middle of the jungle couldn't identify the difference between a Fiero and a ferarri anyways.

Last edited by rodH; 05-06-2004 at 02:52 PM.