Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Impressions on Driving on 19"s

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:55 AM
ranger5oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions on Driving on 19"s

So I have had my wheels and tires for about a week now. Check sig for details...

I can say my handling is noticably different, and not all good.

Accelleration: has slowed a bit(negligible), but straightline traction has been improved. So 0-60 times are better due to less wheelspin. The car is much easier to launch.

Cornering: Honestly, the car "feels" a little sloppier now. I think the increased traction from the tires lets me corner harder, but there is more body roll. The feeling is odd, to say the least. Also, I am not sure if the T1-Ss have softer sidewalls, but my turn in feels slower too. My cornering speed is slower than it used to be around the entrance ramps I test myself on.

Ride Noise/Harshness: These tires are MUCH quieter than the stockers, and I noticed no change in ride harshness. In fact, if anything it feels smoother, might be a mental thing due to the quietness of the new tires.

Braking: There is a notable increase in braking pressure needed to slow the car. This is a little tough to get used to, and I am guessing my brakes will be wearing quicker now.

All in all... The looks are worth it though. The Volks look great! and I imagine I will get used to the little nuances of the new wheel/tire combo.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:41 AM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sport Compact Car reviewed the Toyo T1-S on the Z and mentioned the softer sidewall affected turn in.

With wider tires you will gain more grip, thus pushing the great stock suspension harder. That accounts for the body roll.

Overall you should be quicker around a track and more confident because the T1-Ss will react with more feedback and not suddenly break loose.

Next mod should be some sways. The turn in will sharpen and the body roll will be gone.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:46 AM
ranger5oh

yeah.. sways are a good idea. The stiffer the better, whos are the best?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:28 AM
dnguyent

With the exception of the noise levels, I would agree with these observations.

Ride quality didn't diminish, but performance did so slightly. My car does feel noticeably sloppier with the wider 19" T1S, and since I can compare brand new RE040's with brand new Toyos, I'd say that the Toyos are actually louder than the Potenza's.

ranger5oh, what rim width and offsets did you get? I got 9.5 +22 and 10.5 +22, and I think pulling the each wheel out 1.6" (from stock) adversely affected handling, especially while taking fast sweepers such as onramps. The car is more easily upset by bumps or slight undulations on the road while taking fast sweepers. I think the more aggressive offset resulted in a reduction in effective spring rate, and that might explain the stabilty issues and improved ride comfort.

I'm quickly discovering how suspension setups are affected by seemingly minor adjustments. Hopefully the hotchkis sways I ordered will improve stability.

I do miss the nimble handling of the narrower RE040, but OMG, I couldn't stand how disproportionate the stockers looked on the car after seeing what wide 19" volks did for it. I guess it's a prime example of fashion over function...
Old 05-19-2004, 11:48 AM
shortcut3d

Since the introduction of the RE040 and on many long term test (IS300 comes to mind), the RE040 gets much louder as they wear. Its part of the dual compound they use to maintain wet performance as the tread wears.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Diesel350

Originally posted by ranger5oh
yeah.. sways are a good idea. The stiffer the better, whos are the best?
I heard the Evo Sways are the best. They are adjustable. I would take a good look at them.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:22 PM
dnguyent

I considered both the Evo and hotchkis sways. I ended up going with hotchkis because they are about $100 less expensive. I've heard good things about every sway set up out there, and couldn't find a single negative feedback, so it basically came down to price.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:51 PM
havabooz

dnguyent please give a review of the sways when you get them

although i didnt really "drive" my car before the 19' setup i can definately benefit from better handling

i feel the body roll when i take a quick turn and when i take a really aggressive turn i can feel the back sliding out (thats my fault i guess)

anyway...sways seem the cheapest way to better handling...i dont track my car to justify the purchase of new shocks or coilovers so sways will be as far as i go
Old 05-19-2004, 02:07 PM
tylerdurden

My T1-S tires have way more road noise than stock. Definately softer sidewall. I like the look of 19's but I think that my next set of wheels will be high performing 18's. Wider than stock of course.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Strife350z

i just got my 19s too, and I agree with all the observations above... with one addition... ever since I got my new rims/tires, my car has been pulling to the right a lot harder than before... even after an alignment

why is this? will the pull to the right TSB be honored even with aftermarket 19s?