Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

removing tps sensors altogether & how to eliminate audible/visual sensor alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 04:28 PM
myz8a4re

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing tps sensors altogether & how to eliminate audible/visual sensor alarm?

im sure this topic has been touched on.... i did a search for TPS, tire pressre sensor, sensor removal, etc. i keep getting how to add the sensors to aftermarket wheels & how to remove them from the factory wheels but nothing about removing them altogether & then eliminating the audible/visual alarm inside the car from not having them any longer. i purchased my aftermarket wheels with the tires already mounted to the wheels & want to eliminate the tps since i dont use it anyways....i may possibly add them later when i need to get new tires on the wheels down the raod. but for now i want to enjoy my wheels w/o hearing/seeing the tps alarm inside the car. im not looking for reasons to keep the sensors installed, just how to eliminate the inside alarm from not running the sensors any longer.......i appreciate any help on the subject!

thankyou,
-justin
Old 05-20-2004, 04:39 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is the experience that others have had, but when I ran without the tps, I didn't get an alarm. I think the alarm is for low pressure, not the absence of the monitors.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will go away after a while or a few dozen starts... i forget which comes first...
Old 05-21-2004, 12:15 AM
chattermark

I get the alarm after about an hour (I think), I am in the same boat, so if anyone can come up with a solution that would be great. <M>
Old 05-21-2004, 03:57 AM
myz8a4re

I remember reading a post a while back that stated how to eliminate this problem, but can't find it in a search for the life of me.......

One other thing that drives me nuts: how does the sensor work? I mean its obviously wireless so does it have a battery of some sort? Can't this battery die? Just curious. I think if I knew exactly how the unit worked I may be able to figure somthing out with the inside alarm......

-justin
Old 05-21-2004, 04:12 AM
sschmuve

I think its a piezoelectric sensor, that generates its own power as the wheel is spinning. But, I'm not 100%. I can check on it next week if somebody doesn't beat me to it.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:27 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by myz8a4re
One other thing that drives me nuts: how does the sensor work? I mean its obviously wireless so does it have a battery of some sort? Can't this battery die? Just curious. I think if I knew exactly how the unit worked I may be able to figure somthing out with the inside alarm......

-justin
The sensor is powered by an integral lithium battery. The battery power is controlled by a centrifugal switch - i.e. you have to roll the wheel above 30 mph to close the switch to activate the TPS. It then measures tire pressure and sends a coded signal received by the antenna in the right hand A pillar. The signals are routed to the TPS computer which translates the 4 coded signals to the pressure display thru the main onboard computer. The TPSs located inside the wheels are designed (per the manufacturer whom I've contacted in the UK) to last for 10 years "under normal usage". Good luck on letting the "battery just die"!
When I ran for a couple of months without TPSs, the display always showed dashes because no signal was being received. After 40-45 minutes of vehicle power to the onboard computer, the LOW TIRE PRESSURE yellow warning light would light up because of the absence of signal. I ignored the light. If it bothers you, apply a piece of black duct tape over the display in the gauge. If your alarm is sounding (the beep-beep-beep noise), then your system is defective and should be serviced by the dealer. HTH.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:43 AM
myz8a4re

Wow, great info, much appreciated!

I wasn't going to try to wait out any battery life on these, just wanted to learn how these pressure sensors were powere, lol!

Thanx again,
-justin
Old 05-21-2004, 07:59 PM
silverstoneTT

Like someone else, I also remember a post about disabling the audible/visual reminders after 40 minutes of driving. It involves disconnecting a cable I believe either behind the center console or under the passenger side wheel well.

By disconnecting it the computer piece that handles the TPS signals ceases to function.

Look around for it and you'll find it.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:10 AM
myz8a4re

Thanx I appreciate that input, ill keep searching for that thread.......

-justin
Old 05-22-2004, 02:40 PM
C Ray Z

Default I run the car both ways

I have been running my car both with TPS and without since my autocross wheels do not have TPS and my street wheels do. There is no signal detected so no alarm is sounded. When the TPS's are instaled it takes a few minutes to have the pressure detected but that is the only difference.

Happy motoring.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Jux2p0ze

Is it possible to order another set of OEM TPS and effectively run 2 sets of wheels? Or will the onboard computer only recognize 1 set of TPS by encoding?

I've been debating whether or not to install a second set on a set of factory track wheels I've bought for my performance trim.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:21 AM
myz8a4re

you may be able to do that, you can contact your dealer and ask them. i know they preset them at the factory before the car is sold new, so i dont see why they could set a second set....but who knows, im sure they could tell you.........

i was e-mailing with a memeber here that has some experience with the tps & monitor behind the passenger panel. he removed his monitor after he removed his tps sensors in attempt to eliminate the yellow warning light in the instrument cluster but it did not help. he said it made a change in the display where the tire pressure is read but he believes there is no way to totally eliminate the warning light.......i opted to just deal with the yellow warning light while i run my 19" wheels & tires untill i need new tires down the road. then i will band the tps sensors to the wheels as mentioned in earlier threads. i just cant justify the effort pulling the already mounted & balanced tires off the wheels just to have to pay to have them remounted & rebablanced, on top of potential wheel scratches on my new wheels from dismounting/mounting.........

-justin
Old 05-23-2004, 12:29 PM
greddyZ

Default TPS Question?

Can I keep the factory TPS system with my coming Volk 19's? Or will I have to go to an aftermarket system? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:10 PM
myz8a4re

if your ordering your wheels & tires seperately there is a way to keep the tps system operating correctly. you have to band the sensors to the new wheels before mounting your new tires on. if you did as i did & ordered your new wheels with the tires premounted & balanced you will either have to opt against using the tps system or dismount your tires, mount the tps sensors, then remount & rebalance your tires. here is a link to the thread here that has the band mount instructions: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ssure+and+band

-justin
Old 05-23-2004, 01:16 PM
greddyZ

Default Excellent! Thanks!

NT
Old 05-23-2004, 02:55 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual TPS sensors per car.

Originally posted by Jux2p0ze
Is it possible to order another set of OEM TPS and effectively run 2 sets of wheels? Or will the onboard computer only recognize 1 set of TPS by encoding?
I have two sets of TPSs for my car. One set with summer tires and another set of wheels with TPSs with rain tires. Whenever I switch wheels/tires, the car computer must be reinitialized by the dealer to "recognize the coded set of signals emitted by the particular TPSs mounted on the wheels." The onboard car computer will only recognize one set of TPSs at a time, so every time you switch TPSs (i.e. wheels/tires), the onboard computer must be reinitialized.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:16 PM
C Ray Z

Default Re: TPS Question?

Originally posted by greddyZ
Can I keep the factory TPS system with my coming Volk 19's? Or will I have to go to an aftermarket system? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Just as a suggestion. I had the tires and wheels delivered to a local dealer direct and the tire dealer transfer the TPS to each repective new wheel. It worked very well.

I ordered the tires from a local Americas Tires at a very competitive price.

Good luck