Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

how low can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Road Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how low can you go?

hey all,

i am installing coilovers and running stock rims and tires...so how much can you drop before running into camber issues?

thanks in advance for suggestions/comments

rw
Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Road Warrior

bump...any help would be appreciated
Old 05-27-2004, 06:33 AM
motown

Check this out. I got it from the 'Read this before you do anything to your Z' thread :

4. Suspension: Now that you got your wheels and tires, you might think that gap between your fender and wheel is too big! In addition, most of these suspension upgrades tend to get rid of that annoying freeway hop found on stock 350Z’s. For many, the biggest added bonus is improved handling. If handling is important to you, add stiffer sway bars while you are adding suspension. Again just as with Wheels and tires, suspension options are on the market now so why not start here before adding hp. Here are your options:

Springs: Companies like Eibach and B&G have springs that will lower your car and make it look great. Costs on these springs are about $200-$250. There are strings attached. Eibachs lower your car 1.2” in the rear and .8” in the front and remember, anything over .8” drop will make your camber impossible to be within factory camber specifications. You can drive it with springs only and lose up to 20% tire life (inside edge of tire will wear out first) or get camber kits. These kits will cost you in excess of $400 for just rears or fronts. If you add these camber kits to the cost of the springs, this option is not as cheap as you might first think. Another negative of lowering beyond .8” is going over speed bumps and bottoming out. This option is good for those whose priority is looks. Make sure to get a 4 wheel alignment after installing springs.

Spring/shock combo: Right now, the number one option in this group is NISMO S suspension. Cost about $1300-$1800 depending on the vendor and most will ship them to you. The suspension lowers the Z about .8” thus no camber issues, no need to get alignment after install either. This gets rid of fwy bounce as well. NISMO maintains factory warranty and handles very well on street as well as track. The negative of this option compared to Coil-over springs is lack of adjustment in height, ride hardness, etc.

Coilovers: Cost varies from about $1600 to over $2000. You can control ht and ride. Teins even have a feature called EDFC which allows you to adjust ride hardness within the car as you are driving. You can preset it to 3 levels too such as casual driving, aggressive street, and track. JIC’s seem to be the choice of those with track being their number one priority but remember it is stiff so if you don’t want to feel the road, consider something else besides JIC’s. These are just two options, every month new coil-overs are being introduced to the market. Maybe SportZ magazine will have a shoot out on different suspension systems later like they did on exhausts and it might make the choice of selecting a suspension system an easier task then it is right now.
This came from zland, the guy that writes for Sport Z Magazine. Would assume he's pretty knowledgable about the .8" drop. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=50429
Old 05-27-2004, 09:43 AM
Road Warrior

"anything over .8” drop will make your camber impossible to be within factory camber specifications"

there it is....thanks for the link motown....peace

i am going to drop .5 inches....will post up w/pics when everything is installed...rw...out
Old 05-27-2004, 09:49 AM
motown

Yeah bro, no prob. Pls. let me know how it goes. I'm thinking of the Nismo S-tune package, but want to know how coilovers really change the feel of the car. What package are you going with, btw? If possible, keep the thread updated with how it goes...

Late!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Road Warrior

ya man, i am really excited right now. i have the HKS LS+ coilovers (being installed today as a matter of factola)...and if they perform as good as they look, i will be very happy

i am installing a set of Nismo sways too...oooooh ya.... so i should have a whole new car when i get it back tomorrow!!!

for sure...i will definately post up pics and review

rw... ...out
Old 05-27-2004, 01:10 PM
V35

Do you guys think that the rear kinetix camber bar will fix my camber if i lower my car 1" all around on Tein Basics? If not, what other components do you think i'll have to get.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Road Warrior

Default [B]update[/B]

a little update...got the car back today with hks ls+ coilovers and nismo sways installed....dropped .5 inches and one of the fronts was barely out of tolerance (negative) ....will post specifics and pics when i get a chance.

all i have to say is DAMN ....OMG what a difference. the bounciness is completely gone, steering is much tighter and more responsive, and best of all the ride is just awesome. these coilovers are very streetable, and not harsh at all. no noisiness even when absorbing the roughest of road surfaces...i am just really impressed with this setup.

i had tein flex on my rsx and they were noisy and much stiffer than these appear to be, and they around the same price. they are height and dampning adjustable and very accessable if you want to change dampning settings.

very high quality out of the box. came with instructions and pics...if only i could read japanese ....these coilovers are well worth the money to those looking to get increased handling performance, adjustable h/d settings, and attain a comfortable ride without noise....there is a night and day difference compared to stock...well thats it for now...peace out

i believe myself and DJK are the only ones with these coilovers at present

Last edited by Road Warrior; 05-28-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:41 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Road Warrior
a little update...got the car back today with hks ls+ coilovers and nismo sways installed....dropped .5 inches and one of the fronts was barely out of tolerance (negative) ....will post specifics and pics when i get a chance.

all i have to say is DAMN ....OMG what a difference. the bounciness is completely gone, steering is much tighter and more responsive, and best of all the ride is just awesome. these coilovers are very streetable, and not harsh at all. no noisiness even when absorbing the roughest of road surfaces...i am just really impressed with this setup.

i had tein flex on my rsx and they were noisy and much stiffer than these appear to be, and they around the same price. they are height and dampning adjustable and very accessable if you want to change dampning settings.

very high quality out of the box. came with instructions and pics...if only i could read japanese ....these coilovers are well worth the money to those looking to get increased handling performance, adjustable h/d settings, and attain a comfortable ride without noise....there is a night and day difference compared to stock...well thats it for now...peace out

i believe myself and DJK are the only ones with these coilovers at present
RW, glad you like them. I think a couple G35 guys are running them as well. I dont know if you have had a chance to adjust them yet, but it is simple to do. You can adjust the whole car in less than 2 minutes. Looking forward to hearing which setting you like the best!
Old 05-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Road Warrior

yep, they had the g35 out first a while back but they just came out for the 350z...i don't even see the z application for the ls+ listed yet on the hks site....

yes, very easy to change....how much did you drop?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:14 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive not adjusted the height at all since I got them. The front is about an inch or so but the rear is about 1.5 inches. We didnt really even measure, just lowered it till it looked right
Old 05-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Road Warrior

can any of you folks out there help me to host some pics for a new thread with review of my new coilovers and sways...have about ten or so jpeg photos....thanks
Old 05-30-2004, 10:35 PM
HipHopPro

Originally posted by Road Warrior
can any of you folks out there help me to host some pics for a new thread with review of my new coilovers and sways...have about ten or so jpeg photos....thanks
Is it this LOW?
Attached Thumbnails how low can you go?-wald-350z_1.jpg  
Old 05-30-2004, 10:35 PM
HipHopPro

Originally posted by HipHopPro
Is it this LOW?
Attached Thumbnails how low can you go?-wald-350z_2.jpg  
Old 06-08-2004, 09:26 PM
insane350z

Air Shocks, right! Love the look of the car, but could do without the 'Continental' graphic.