Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Why do people have it in their head that all Volks are so light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 08:59 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

besides those ultra light Volks you listed, yes, the Volks are not amazingly more light than other wheels, but they aren't considered heavy either and they are a lot stronger than a cast wheel.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:10 PM
zeroday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ranger5oh
The good news is that Volks are very strong. Those cast Hiros and Milanos will probably end up bending, while my forged Volks probably will not. Heavy+Forged = Very Strong!
well i've already hit a pretty decent sized pothole at speed with my axis hiros and no damage...i was told axis is using a new process to make their cast hiros stronger and lighter which might explain this. no doubt forged are stronger still but i'd have to bend and replace two rims to make my rim investment equal what people are spending on volks.

dont get me wrong volks are great wheels. if volk made a 5 spoke gunmetal/blackmetal rim with a polished lip i'd definitely have to consider snagging some. (something like the le37's but 5 spokes) until then im really happy with my hiros.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
moog

My 20" iForged are 25lbs for the 8.5" wide and 27lbs for the 10" wide. Not too shabby.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:10 AM
AmyCroft

Originally posted by HREWheelMaker
For reference, the new HRE Competition Series (3-piece forged) in 19x8.5 weighs just 18.5 lbs. Awesome!
If your product is light and You say They are awesome...

Then why does every one say - Don't use that *&^^*( stuff

Just wondering?

Cheers Amy -
Old 06-05-2004, 04:58 AM
zeroday

Originally posted by AmyCroft
If your product is light and You say They are awesome...

Then why does every one say - Don't use that *&^^*( stuff

Just wondering?

Cheers Amy -

ok i gotta get this off my chest...you flame alot of people with comments like this one (you arent seriously expecting an objective reply to that are ya?) then you sign every flame with 'cheers Amy - ' . its a bit strange....so whats with this 'cheers' thing anyway? is that british sarcasm or something?

lastly....are you female? your posts kind of come off like you're a guy...sorry if i'm wrong but i am curious.

Last edited by zeroday; 06-05-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:19 AM
jkoc

Originally posted by jimster716
Enkei is cast: The Most Advanced Technology (M.A.T) combines one-piece cast wheel technology with a rim forming technology called spinning process.

5Zigen also has the FN-01R (not the FN-01RC) which is a one piece forged.
does enkei's ultra high perforamance wheel use MAT technology or are they actually forged? (ex: enkei rpm2)
Old 06-05-2004, 05:34 AM
jkoc

actually i think even rpm2's are made with "MAT"..

regardless, theyre strong and dang light -- comparable to forged wheels
Old 06-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Wicked4u2c

Originally posted by CreativeZ
I didnt compare quaility Im just talking weight,

Most people on this board the first thing that they want to know is weight of the wheel.

VOlK is up there but there are also other brands that jsut are good and are forged.

RoJA are not bad wheels either are Racing Harts.

The Ro_Ja's are made in the US and are forged wheels. The style has been around for 6 years and still going.

Racing harts are made in Japan. You see alot of the top tunners using them.

Axis isnt bad either they won the sport compact challange with there cast wheel.

You also see alot of these rims on drift cars. If they were complete crap they would not run them.

Drift drivers work rims harder then most road racers.

The RH revolutions are a different story thats why they are cheaper (made in Korea).

One pieced forged wheels are not just made by Volk and BBS.

Other small andl large makers like OZ and enkei make them too (its not uncommon).

I think there is a VOLK mentality here. The thought that they are the lightest stongest rims on earth when that not the case.

There are lighter rims that are forged and cast out there that are just as good.

Peace

First off, where did you get that weight information on your first post? Second get your "VOLK MAKES" mentallity out cause its RAYS's that makes the wheels. LIKE POSTED BEFORE, RAY'S makes a lot of different wheels for different lines including ROJa... the line of "VOLK WHEELS" should not be compared to even Axis.. DUDE, your HIGH MAN!! I have seen both wheels in the box and you cannot compare the quality and workmanship on both wheels. I go through more rims than most people can imagine. In the 1 year that I had my Z I had 3 sets of wheels my previous car in 1 year went through 5 different wheels. And I have had most of the top manufactures all I can say and im sure most will agree that the wheel line of VOLK is one of the very few and I mean few like 5 if even that companies that deserve a wheel price of $400.00+++. And I belive VOLK does have the STRONGEST WHEEL which is their Magnesium wheel... Correct me if im wrong and im not sure but I believe that is the strongest wheel available in the market today...? Anyhow, a wheels weight doesn't always make it better or worse.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:30 AM
zeroday

sheez relax you'd think he just insulted god or something...
Old 06-06-2004, 07:19 AM
tranzholik

Magnesium is extremely light....but not that stronge.

Those TE37 Mag wheels are around 13~14 lbs per wheel(18inch)
Old 06-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if all out performance is your goal, 19's or 20's dont even factor into the picture first of all.

In terms of weight, lets not forget that wheels need tires. I see loads of people putting the lightest wheels they can find on their cars, only to counteract the reduced unsprung weight by putting bricks of tires on them..

The importaning thing when considering weight reduction in this area is what does your wheel and tire combo way.....taking one into account without the other is a waste of energy.

In terms of strength, cast or forged is really too general to say what is stronger. Metallurgy has a huge role here,as well as the process of construction each undergoes. Most Advan wheels are not forged for example, but are relatively light, and incredibly strong.

In tems of the multipiece wheels, some things to take into account:

1. they are inherently heavier than a mono piece wheel.
2. they are all (as I recall) a mix of forge and cast. Center spokes are usually cast, outer lip(s) are forged.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:10 AM
tranzholik

the tires definetly play a role in unsprung weight. but i thought those competition tires (s/r compound tires) are relatively heavy tires compare to the street tires.
wether its weight come from the sidewalls or the compounding....it is difficult to achieve the balance of having both light weight and grippy tires. something needs to be sacrificed.

Oh....Z1....are those Prodrive wheels light also??? I have seen it in person lately...it is a work of art!!!
Old 06-06-2004, 08:47 AM
mcclaskz

I agree w/ what Z1 just said, weight/performance is not synonymous with bling/F&F. Volk's popular styles in 17" & 18" are some of the strongest and lightest wheels on the market. These are the sizes that are used in much of road and club racing. NOT 19" or 20". There are no r compound tires in those sizes. There are few enough in 18".
Old 06-06-2004, 12:27 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance

2. they are all (as I recall) a mix of forge and cast. Center spokes are usually cast, outer lip(s) are forged.
leraned something today!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Jeff@Evolution

Volk CE28N Monoblock 1 piece forged made by Rays Engineering.

19x8.5 20 lbs
19x9.5 20.5 lbs
19x10.5 21 lbs

I just did this on an actual scale.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:24 AM
HREWheelMaker

That's a pretty broad generalization... Most high-performance modular wheels are using forged centers these days.

Also, due to the light weight of the inner & outer rim sections, most three-piece wheels have fairly low rotational inertia- something nobody has mentioned in this discussion, and certainly an important consideration.

We could go on all day about this- I just don't want to see:
leraned something today!
based on recollection!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know nismo wheels are made by rays... derrr
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM
ranger5oh

Originally posted by zeroday
well i've already hit a pretty decent sized pothole at speed with my axis hiros and no damage...i was told axis is using a new process to make their cast hiros stronger and lighter which might explain this. no doubt forged are stronger still but i'd have to bend and replace two rims to make my rim investment equal what people are spending on volks.

dont get me wrong volks are great wheels. if volk made a 5 spoke gunmetal/blackmetal rim with a polished lip i'd definitely have to consider snagging some. (something like the le37's but 5 spokes) until then im really happy with my hiros.

The Volk GT-C is a 5-spoke with polished lip that can come in gunmetal!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ranger5oh
The Volk GT-C is a 5-spoke with polished lip that can come in gunmetal!
I have Volk GT-C in Gunmetal in stock w/ Tires ready to ship
Old 06-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
I have Volk GT-C in Gunmetal in stock w/ Tires ready to ship
We have it too.

Quick Reply: Why do people have it in their head that all Volks are so light?