Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Why do people have it in their head that all Volks are so light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:55 PM
CreativeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do people have it in their head that all Volks are so light?

Why does everyone think all Volk rims are light?

The only rims that save weight are the Gram Light 57C Series, the Volk TE37, and the Volk CE28N.

VOLK wheels are nice no doubt, but alot of people hype every one of their rims to be so light.

Volk's other forged wheels are just as heavy as alot of the other manufacturers of wheels.

The Volk forged 19" GT-C weigh 26-28lbs

The Volk forged 19" GT-7 weigh 24-26lbs

The Volk 19" froged SF Winnings Wegh 23-24lbs.

V.S.

The Axis 19" cast Hiro wheels weigh 24-26lbs

The Ro_Ja forged Formula 5 wheels Weigh 22-25lbs.

The Racing Hart 19" cast J-8 and J-5 wheels weigh 24-26lbs.

They are all about the same weight.

Why do alot of people think Volk wheels are the lightest things on earth when they are not?

Last edited by CreativeZ; 06-03-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:05 PM
350Drifter

I don't know why Volks are synonymous with being light. Perhaps its because the TE37's are one of their most popular style and everyone associates the rest of the lineup with being light. I had a set of Volk GT-N's and they were pretty heavy wheels.

Thats why my next set are going to be Buddy Club PII Forged 2pc 19". Best part is that they're not too expensive.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:31 PM
jimster716

I think you have to take into account weight versus strength. My 18" 5Zigen FN01-RCs are relatively light but I am certain that a similar weight forged TE37 would be stronger (my own experience with my previous set of 19" TE37's).

Some other manufactures that offer forged wheels have to cut costs somewhere to sell at the cost they do IMO...maybe in the alloy composition that gets basically hammered into shape? Maybe in the design which may use less material to ensure classification as lightweight? I don't know. I know I wouldn't hesitate to get another set of TE37's if I could afford another set for track only.

I do know that Volk's Magnesium (other than the TE37 Mag) are really heavy all things considered.

Last edited by jimster716; 06-03-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMGT4's 18.X lbs front and rear 18x9.5 / 8.5
Old 06-03-2004, 10:10 PM
CaptinB

Jason, you forgot to post a link to buy them at Performance!

Once I get a few more $ saved, they are going to be my first mod.

CaptinB
Old 06-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

How could I have forgotten That!

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=227

Always instock and ready to ship!

Attached Thumbnails Why do people have it in their head that all Volks are so light?-img_3503.jpg  
Old 06-04-2004, 04:16 AM
Dolfan13

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
How could I have forgotten That!

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=227

Always instock and ready to ship!

Ordered mine last night...can't wait to get them...
Old 06-04-2004, 04:37 AM
jbenedict

Default GM...

Any pics of the gunmetal? I don't think I have ever seen em b4.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:51 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volk wheels are in general light in comparison to many other 19" wheels. They are, however, not the only light wheels out there, and the ones you listed are also quite light for the size.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:49 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why do people have it in their head that all Volks are so light?

Originally posted by CreativeZ
Why does everyone think all Volk rims are light?

The only rims that save weight are the Gram Light 57C Series, the Volk TE37, and the Volk CE28N.

VOLK wheels are nice no doubt, but alot of people hype every one of their rims to be so light.

Volk's other forged wheels are just as heavy as alot of the other manufacturers of wheels.

The Volk forged 19" GT-C weigh 26-28lbs

The Volk forged 19" GT-7 weigh 24-26lbs

The Volk 19" froged SF Winnings Wegh 23-24lbs.

V.S.

The Axis 19" cast Hiro wheels weigh 24-26lbs

The Ro_Ja forged Formula 5 wheels Weigh 22-25lbs.

The Racing Hart 19" cast J-8 and J-5 wheels weigh 24-26lbs.

They are all about the same weight.

Why do alot of people think Volk wheels are the lightest things on earth when they are not?

well first off your comparing 19" wheels, how many ppl buy bigger wheels to save weight? if i wanted to shave weight from the wheels i would get 16, or 17. its a "ricer" mentality (no offense anyone) that you need lightweight large rims, but thats just kinda dumb. also those volks are wider than the stock wheels by 1-2" which will of course weigh more no matter how its made.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:15 AM
speedform

True enough. If all you plan to do is cruise around town on these 19" monsters (I'm a fashion victim too) , weight really isn't an issue, especially on our 3300 pound tanks. It's went you speed things up a bit and start taking those turns with considerably more verve things start to go bad.
Steering feel goes a little numb, braking distance is increased, ride qualities in the sh#tter and all those pretty aluminum suspension components take an extra beating thanks to all the extra weight.
Everythings a trade-off.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
LMGT4's 18.X lbs front and rear 18x9.5 / 8.5
Just another wheel that's made by Rays.

Volk is a line that's manufactured by Rays Engineering. So are all Nismo wheels, STi wheels, Rallyart wheels.

Volk have many other light weight wheels that you forgot to mention. SE37K, SE37A, Progressive Spoke.

Only Rays Engineering and BBS are capable of producing 1 piece forged wheels. A lot of people claim light weight wheels, but only these two have the 1 piece forged. Which is a light weight and durable finish. Anyone feel free to correct me if I provided any wrong information.

I'm not bashing here, but don't compare Volk wheels to Axis Hiro, Roja or the RH J8 or J5. Those wheels are all made in Thailand and Taiwan. They are great value and great style, but the re sale value and market value are no where near the tradition Volk wheels have established. Where I can go out and purchase a set of TE37 today. And will know that in 10 years. They will still be around, or I can purchase a set of wheels from 1998, and they are the same design as the TE37 on the market today. Which other wheel on the market can you really say that about.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 06-04-2004, 09:30 AM
MY350Z.COM

Well said...

AMEN JEFF!
Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 AM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Jeff@Evolution
Just another wheel that's made by Rays.

Volk is a line that's manufactured by Rays Engineering. So are all Nismo wheels, STi wheels, Rallyart wheels.

Volk have many other light weight wheels that you forgot to mention. SE37K, SE37A, Progressive Spoke.

Only Rays Engineering and BBS are capable of producing 1 piece forged wheels. A lot of people claim light weight wheels, but only these two have the 1 piece forged. Which is a light weight and durable finish. Anyone feel free to correct me if I provided any wrong information.

I'm not bashing here, but don't compare Volk wheels to Axis Hiro, Roja or the RH J8 or J5. Those wheels are all made in Thailand and Taiwan. They are great value and great style, but the re sale value and market value are no where near the tradition Volk wheels have established. Where I can go out and purchase a set of TE37 today. And will know that in 10 years. They will still be around, or I can purchase a set of wheels from 1998, and they are the same design as the TE37 on the market today. Which other wheel on the market can you really say that about.

Cheers

Jeff
very well said.
although my advan tc2 18" is damn light(7.x kg), but itz only cast..
Old 06-04-2004, 09:47 AM
swifty949

alot of it is also in the engineering. Rays has one of the best quality cast wheels as well. If you take a cross section of a volk, bbs, ssr, or enkei forged wheel. You will see the grains are very close together, without any pits.

One thing i've also learned is don't take wheel weights that magazines have done. I submited a 19x10 wheel to the magazine. It was a 3 piece wheel. They published it as a 17x7 and weighing 27lbs. Without failure to mention that it was 3 piece.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:19 AM
kzshin

I think Enkei, and WORKS are able to produced 1 piece forged wheels too. Isn't RPF-1 and Emotion (not the CR) 1 piece forged also??? correct me if I am wrong

And, Ro-ja, or Axis or RH can't compare with Volks, usually they are just cheap imitation of other people's designed with low price. When was last time you heard a professional racing team use wheels from Ro-ja, Axis or RH.

VOLKs, SSR, ENKIE, ADVAN, WORKS... all have been used in professional racing. (FYI, JGTC 350Z used SSR)

Oh, and to the performance nissan guy. LMGT4 is produced by Volks/Rays engineering.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:47 AM
jimster716

Originally posted by kzshin
I think Enkei, and WORKS are able to produced 1 piece forged wheels too. Isn't RPF-1 and Emotion (not the CR) 1 piece forged also??? correct me if I am wrong
Enkei is cast: The Most Advanced Technology (M.A.T) combines one-piece cast wheel technology with a rim forming technology called spinning process.

5Zigen also has the FN-01R (not the FN-01RC) which is a one piece forged.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:21 AM
ranger5oh

I can tell my GT-C's are heavy, my car definitely slowed down when I put them on!

The good news is that Volks are very strong. Those cast Hiros and Milanos will probably end up bending, while my forged Volks probably will not. Heavy+Forged = Very Strong!
Old 06-04-2004, 04:28 PM
HREWheelMaker

For reference, the new HRE Competition Series (3-piece forged) in 19x8.5 weighs just 18.5 lbs. Awesome!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:21 PM
CreativeZ

I didnt compare quaility Im just talking weight,

Most people on this board the first thing that they want to know is weight of the wheel.

VOlK is up there but there are also other brands that jsut are good and are forged.

RoJA are not bad wheels either are Racing Harts.

The Ro_Ja's are made in the US and are forged wheels. The style has been around for 6 years and still going.

Racing harts are made in Japan. You see alot of the top tunners using them.

Axis isnt bad either they won the sport compact challange with there cast wheel.

You also see alot of these rims on drift cars. If they were complete crap they would not run them.

Drift drivers work rims harder then most road racers.

The RH revolutions are a different story thats why they are cheaper (made in Korea).

One pieced forged wheels are not just made by Volk and BBS.

Other small andl large makers like OZ and enkei make them too (its not uncommon).

I think there is a VOLK mentality here. The thought that they are the lightest stongest rims on earth when that not the case.

There are lighter rims that are forged and cast out there that are just as good.

Peace

Last edited by CreativeZ; 06-04-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Why do people have it in their head that all Volks are so light?