Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

I stained my rims today

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 06:14 PM
jesfuego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I stained my rims today

today while washing my car I used a product that I will never in my life use again. It is to wash tires... its called bleach white tire cleaner. Some of this product got on my new GTC and staied some of the polished lips. I have tryed many products to try to clean this but no luck. I fear that Im going to have to pay someone to re-polish the rims. anyone know a good place in Dade or broward county in Florida that I can use to get this done? Any help would be appriciated.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some products have a lot of acid in them and that is what burned (stained) your wheels. Sorry
Old 06-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Rayden2001

Default Re: I stained my rims today

Originally posted by jesfuego
today while washing my car I used a product that I will never in my life use again. It is to wash tires... its called bleach white tire cleaner. Some of this product got on my new GTC and staied some of the polished lips. I have tryed many products to try to clean this but no luck. I fear that Im going to have to pay someone to re-polish the rims. anyone know a good place in Dade or broward county in Florida that I can use to get this done? Any help would be appriciated.
Did you try a safe wax or polish for rims? Or did it eat up the clear coat?
Old 06-19-2004, 07:27 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they have a clear coat on them. If not, try a metal polish and buff it to a mirror shine again. Try a polish from Mothers, Eagle1 or similar brand. Good luck
Old 06-19-2004, 08:02 PM
calgary350z

they have a clearcoat on the lip so it sounds like you ate thru it. You cant use metal polish just ask the shop that tried to polish out my lip on one of my rims, they now have to strip the remaining clearcoat, polish, and reclearcoat my lip
Old 06-19-2004, 08:17 PM
imelda
Banned

Question? do you have vogue white walls mounted on your GTC's Because even i know that bleach white is for whitewalls.
then again... maybe your just "pimpin your ride" just like i saw on M-TV!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Ralphus

That bleach white stuff is really bad for you too, read the back of the bottle, breathing it will melt your lungs.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:24 AM
joust75

Originally posted by Reggi914
some products have a lot of acid in them and that is what burned (stained) your wheels. Sorry

Bleach is basic. The opposite of acidic.

GTCs have a clearcoat so that needs to be redone. Unless that crap ate thru your clearcoat AND stained the metal. Could be expensive.

I feel your pain. When i wwas in college I had an explorer with alloys and I stained the wheels with some tire crap as well.

sux
Old 06-20-2004, 01:58 AM
jesfuego

yea I have tried the mothers and with no results, I think that it ate through the clearcoat.

To answer your question imelda, I dont have white walls on the car, but the product could be used on a regular black tire.

calgary350z : I will try metal polish and the buffing, Thanks.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:57 AM
zzzya

Someone posted the process to taking care of this very situation a long time ago. Try searching. I believe the process included some wet sanding and then clearcoating.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:27 PM
zeroday

despite what someone said earlier, bleche-white is not only for white walls. it is marketed and sold as a tire cleaner. i used to use this stuff religiously on my 98 eclipse's tires with no problems. it was great; you spray it on and this thick brown grime comes off the tires and makes them very black...then i bought a chevy tahoe and immediately destroyed a rim with it. apparently it eats up certain finishes...sorry to hear...i just ended up buying a new rim