Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Track model rims on Touring model TPS problem ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 02:07 PM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Track model rims on Touring model TPS problem ??

I just returned, seriously disheartened from my local Nissan dealership. I bought a set of Track model Rays rims with stock Potenza tires, and TPS, and just today found the time to get my Z's alignment checked, and new tires/rims mounted and balanced, and TPS reprogrammed to match my '03 Touring...

I was told that when I made the appointment that it would be $70 to do the reprogramming of the TPS, but hey, I needed it...and unfortunately, Nissan is the only place with the transmitter tool to do it. So, although it seemed like alot for soemthing so simple I opted to have it done, so that my Monitoring system was functional again.

After a few minuted, their head tech came back out of the garage area, and proceeded to tell me that b/c I did not have a track Z, that the TPS from the track model would not work with my Touring TPS Monitor. I couldn't believe this, and I even brought a copy of the Factory Service Manual with me to make sure that he knew what he was talking about, and no where in the manual does it state that Track TPS differs from Touring, its the same system !!! Right ?!?

I mentioned the info to the tech about what the FSM stated, and he said it did not matter, and was not going to try anything differnet or make any further attempts to prove his theory correct. He did mention breaking down all 8 tires to do the TPS swapout, but I told them not to do it, as I thought the tech was wrong. I wonder what would happen at another dealership, hmmm ?

So, now I have a nice set of Rays Engineering Forged rims with new Potenzas and a TPS system that, according to Nissan, only works with TPS from a Touring model... any ideas ? What are they doing wrong, even the parts guy could not find differnet part numbers for the TPS sensors from the Touring to the Track models ? I think they needed new batteries in their transmitter tool, or the tech was not initiating the TPS restart properly, so that it was looking for new sensors.

Any followups, or situations similar to this, might help me figure thsi out, but from the thread I have read all along, there is no reason why the TPS from my old rims must be used. Maybe they were just trying to soak me for money, but hte last thing I was going to do is let them mess up my new Track rims...
Old 06-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Audito350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh... that's not true... if you go to Performance Nissan's website, they sell the TPS monitors and nowhere does it list a separate part number for Track or Touring....

go to a different dealership and have them reporgram the receiver

Cheers,

PeteH
Old 06-21-2004, 02:57 PM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Kind of what I figured...they were probably milking me for a tire job, since they weren't very busy...

I was actually going to call Nissan tech support, but I figured going through a CSR might even be more trouble. I wish these techs went through some sort of training and knew what they were doing. I realize our cars are sophisticated, but these Nissan techs are supposed to be trained in fixing them, right ?