Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Help! Understeer normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Daniel G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Understeer normal?

Well, I finally got my car back from the body shop, to make a long story short...some @#$@ hit me on my passenger side and forced me on a center divider...body shop replaced passenger side components, and driver's side wheel bearing.....Anyway, I need to know if my tires sqeeking on right turns is normal? Understeer? I never noticed it before, but then again I wasn't listening out for it(windows open, radio off, etc). Even on slow turns I seem to get the wheels slightly sqeeking....I don't want to take it back if it's normal...please help. Maybe someone local can go for a ride with me and compare their car with mine ....oh, it's a G35 coupe BTW.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:40 PM
350ed
Professional

Do you mean squeeling tires (ie they are slipping across the road) or the suspension is making noise? Understeer is normal. Might want to double check the alignment.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:36 AM
Daniel G

Originally posted by 350ed
Do you mean squeeling tires (ie they are slipping across the road) or the suspension is making noise? Understeer is normal. Might want to double check the alignment.
no it's not suspension noise...it's the tires sqeeling...but It only happens in right turns...maybe it was there before and I didn't notice it....but it doesn't take much speed for this....they supposidly did a 2 wheel alignment...maybe not correctly....hopefully that's all it is..and not a bad suspension install..I did get under the car...and everything seems fine...to satisfy my own analism(lol)..I maybe bring out the torqe wrench and double check the torque on all the bolts.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Daniel G

maybe this is a good excuse to get some Hotchkis sways...they are right down the street from me, but it's actually cheaper to buy from a vendor..
Old 07-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Daniel G

ttt
Old 07-09-2004, 07:58 PM
THX723

Daniel,
I'm glad you got your car back. That's a tough question to answer, as it really depends on how fast you're taking the turns (as if you didn't already know this).

Did they put tire dresser on? It may be as simple as that, so untill the grease wears away ... it could get a bit slick when hussled a bit. Also verify the tire pressure at all four corners. The surest way to figure is to drive someone else's simliarily equipped G35 or vice versa.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Daniel G

Originally posted by THX723
Daniel,
I'm glad you got your car back. That's a tough question to answer, as it really depends on how fast you're taking the turns (as if you didn't already know this).

Did they put tire dresser on? It may be as simple as that, so untill the grease wears away ... it could get a bit slick when hussled a bit. Also verify the tire pressure at all four corners. The surest way to figure is to drive someone else's simliarily equipped G35 or vice versa.

Good luck.
Hey Clint...Yes I need to find someone with the same car and compare. I admit that I find myself taking the corners a little faster. But I also hear it in parking lots. I'm pretty good "with the wrench" sorta speak. so I think what I'm going to do just to be sure is recheck the torque on all the bolts...and while I'm down there...this will be a good excuse to get some Hotchkis sways I don't want these clowns touching my suspension again, even if something is wrong. When the car was supposidly "ready" the first time...I picked up the car..drove it to work...everything fine...right up until about 40 MPH....then I hear it...humming...a damn wheel bearing! Them idiots didn't think to check the driver's side wheel bearing. They did excellent body and paint...just stay away from my suspension.

Last edited by Daniel G; 07-10-2004 at 06:48 AM.