Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

More Steering Response!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Anishd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Steering Response!?

Ok, im hunting for some more response from my Z. The steering is good, but ever since I got my s2000, I've been spoiled with one of the best handling cars on the planet. I still love my Z, so, I want to find some more ways to increase my steering response. So far, I have the Hotchkis sway bars, set on full stiff front and back, the Nismo S-tune suspension, and I have my front alignment set at zero toe. I could give it some toe-out, but, I'd like to keep my alignment within factory spec.

I do have 19 inch GT-7s, 8.5 front, 9.5 in the back, so I'm sure the wider front tire does decrease some of that initial turn in bite. I've played with different tire pressures, and dont really notice any change in steering response. What else can I do? Different sway bars? Does anyone make a quick-steering rack for our cars? What about change out the steering wheel for a smaller diameter racing one? Maybe better supporting seats to keep my glued to the car more? I guess im spoiled by the s2000, but, I know the Z has the potential to be just as lively. Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to set the fronts to full soft.

Full stiff will NOT let the front move freely, you have it more prone to understeering.

I have mine set at front/med, rear/full... JICs set at 8 front, 4 rear for street. This turns in as hard as ANY S2000 I have ever driven.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Anishd

The car is definitly not prone to understeering. With the settings I have dialed in, its almost perfectly neutral. If I set it to full soft in the front, I'll have a car that oversteers probably a little too much for the street.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Anishd

Also, I thought that stiffening the front increases steering response regardless of what you have the back as.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:08 PM
PhoenixINX

No.

Fix the end that is having probs.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep in mind that lessoned steering responce is a price to pay with progressive springs, which the S-tunes are. Your correct that toe out does promote steering responce, but I'll argue that at the limit demon's come along with that, least that's what happened to me. Increasing rear roll stiffness, can impact turn in performance/steering responce, but I can't say my Cusco bar setup really impacted the car in that manner. If you had adjustable shocks, I'd tell you to dial turn them up, certainly the compression dampning. I've heard that the new Moton club sport shocks will offer that.

What sway bars are you running?
Old 08-15-2004, 05:31 AM
Zathras

Anishd, has what you've done so far improved the steering response? What difference did you notice with the mods you've done?

I test drove a 2004 S2000 and a RX-8 before getting my Enthusiast 350Z. I liked the S2000, but my benchmark for street handling goes to the RX-8. The RX-8 felt immediately right. Turn-in was effortless and it was easy to get the rear end to break loose and rotate around a sharp corner just as I intended. I noticed no understeer going around a corkscrew freeway onramp in the 8.

My plan of attack is getting the Hotchkis sways and a set of 245/45-18's on 8.5 wide lightweight rims all around. I don't want to go too wide on the tires for fear of increasing turning effort and reducing the ability to break the rear end loose.

I'm thinking the Z will never handle exactly like a S2000 or a RX-8 though. Why? Too much weight up front. The Z has a large V6 situated directly over the front axle (mid front engine? I think not). The 2000 and the 8 have tiny engines set well behind the front axle. I'm thinking the engine location on the Z was determined by the Z not being a purpose built sports car. It was meant to share the same platform as a sedan, so the engine is forward of where it should be.

I plan to replace the stock battery with an Oddysey (sp?) and save about 20lbs up front. I could relocate the battery to the rear of the car, but that seems like too much effort.

I could have bought a S2000 or RX-8. All I have to do to make me forget the handling difference is mash the accelerator a bit. The Z has it all over the other cars for torque and acceleration.

Oh, does adding the Hotchkis sways void any warranties? What about changing the wheels and tires?
Old 08-15-2004, 07:15 AM
Zathras

There is also the overall weight of the cars. The Z is about 3200 pounds, the RX-8 3050, and the S2000 2900 if memory serves.

I plan on lightening my Z. Nothing drastic or expensive: Oddysey battery, lightweight wheels, remove bass speaker plate behind drivers seat, maybe remove spare. Not much can be done to change the car's center of gravity though.

I try to accept the Z for what it is. I do understand pursuing the Siren's song of better handling once you've driven a car that fits you perfectly though.

You could always swap the V6 for a SR20DET I love this picture.
Attached Thumbnails More Steering Response!?-sr20det.jpg  

Last edited by Zathras; 08-15-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Anishd

Zathras,

Its been a while since I've had the Z, and I've done so much with the suspension, I really cant put my finger on what has improved the car's overall handling. The S-Tune setup definitly improved steering response, overall control, and grip. The sway bars take out the body roll, and let you dial in understeer or oversteer, so, the Eibach set I used to have, and the Hotchkis ones that I have right now have definitly made my Z more confidence inspiring.

I dont remember what my tire and wheel change did to my overall handling, since it was a while ago.

How much HP does an SR20 engine make stock?
Old 08-20-2004, 02:43 AM
Zathras

Cool. I'll have to check out the S-Tune suspension. How much does that cost?

I don't know a lot about the SR20DET. I have a (not running now) '92, 2.0 turbo, all wheel drive, Plymouth Laser (same as the Eclipse). Just generalizing, 300hp in a 2.0 turbo should be easy, and 400hp should be about the max.

That SR20DET in the picture has a huge intercooler. I'd guess it will be putting out more than 300hp.

Do a search on SR20DET on the forum. There are a few threads discussing the engine.

Are you going to swap in a SR20DET? Not worth the money in my opinion, but still cool.

I never got used to the power delivery from a 2.0 turbo. I like the low end grunt of the 3.5L V6 in the Z better.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Road Warrior

no one mentioned tire pressure.....maybe a little less in the front?
Old 08-20-2004, 07:45 AM
dwnshift

-1 mm toe out per side.......get tid of progressive rate springs......stiffer front bar.
This will help turn in.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Zathras

Anishd, how did each of you mods effect the car's ride? I like ride of my '04.5 Enthusiast, a little hard, but ok. It does tend to bounce (porpoise?) on one highway out here in Columbus, Georgia.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:08 PM
phoenixZ33

Stiffer bushings and tuning the steering system (rack mostly) are the two big things that will make it feel more responsive. Big thing is the steering rack. Springs, sway bars and shocks will change the balance, ie. oversteer or understeer, but aren't going to give it the twitchy feeling an S2000 has. I've read in several articles about the Z that it was tuned for high speed stability, which if I had to guess is why it doesn't feel quick and darty like an S2000 does. Go 120mph in both cars and tell me the S2000 gives you the same confidence level the Z does! I've been airborne in a Z at 110, someting that would make me crap my pants in just about any other car. Anyways, neither car handles worse than the other, just different tuning for different cars and some cars *feel* better than others, and some are more fun to drive than others. I suppose it depends on your definition of handling.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Zathras

Cool. I'll have to check out the S-Tune suspension. How much does that cost?

I don't know a lot about the SR20DET. I have a (not running now) '92, 2.0 turbo, all wheel drive, Plymouth Laser (same as the Eclipse). Just generalizing, 300hp in a 2.0 turbo should be easy, and 400hp should be about the max.

That SR20DET in the picture has a huge intercooler. I'd guess it will be putting out more than 300hp.

Do a search on SR20DET on the forum. There are a few threads discussing the engine.

Are you going to swap in a SR20DET? Not worth the money in my opinion, but still cool.

I never got used to the power delivery from a 2.0 turbo. I like the low end grunt of the 3.5L V6 in the Z better.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:04 PM
dwnshift

Grab a copy of the Speedvision GAC race from Watkins Glen and watch our # 35 car turn in. Its like a kart.
Cheers
BJ@350EVO.com
Old 08-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by dwnshift
-1 mm toe out per side.......get rid of progressive rate springs......stiffer front bar.
This will help turn in.
Aggree'd, but the rear suspension isn't tied down enough, their's enough flex going on to add in toe, hence the sense of the oem rear toe in settings. When I tried relaxed toe settings, I was greated with poor at the limit behavior. In other words, I'm voting for ya'll to catalog a much cheaper bushing system then you sell now,..........please.