Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

ABS = Grind, Crunch, Terrible Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 04:04 AM
03 Z for ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS = Grind, Crunch, Terrible Noise

A few months ago I upgraded my brakes. I didn't go with a full brake kit, but I put on Stoptech Slotted rotors, Stainless line, NISMO Type R pads, and Super blue fluid.

I bedded in the brakes properly and even went to two track days.

Through all of this I never actually engaged the ABS, and for whatever crazy reason, last night on the way home, I think to myself... "I wonder how well these brakes REALLY work?"

(I was a newbie to track days and I KNOW I wasn't "Threshold braking")

So, I'm driving about 40mph on a straight back road. No traffic. I prepare to slam on the brakes and engage the ABS...

WOW, My dinner almost comes out of my stomach as I stop almost instantly... BUT There is a TERRIBLE GRIND, CRUNCH, GRATING noise that was LOUD when the ABS engaged.

Is this normal? I could feel the ABS pulsating under my foot on the brake pedal. (I know THAT'S normal.)

I worried a bit at the horrendous noise I heard, so I carefully test my stopping power again. Normal stopping, brakes make no noise and appear to work properly. I slam on tha ABS again, the the Z stops on a dome, but the TERRIBLE noise is there again.

Should I be worried? Should I pull off the pads and check them again? Is this just the normal terrible noise that happens when the ABS engage?

Last edited by 03 Z for ME; 08-30-2004 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:14 AM
510dat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump, because I'd like to know too. It sounds like you have a pretty nice kit.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:35 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:50 AM
dnguyent

Yep, normal. It does indeed sound like things are breaking, but that's just how it works. It's always good to test out your braking system like that to make sure you know what it does and how well it performs...

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't engage the ABS on the track. Also, did you get the 355mm or 332mm BBK? And how do you like the new brakes as compared to stock (on the track)?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:07 AM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by dnguyent
Yep, normal. It does indeed sound like things are breaking, but that's just how it works. It's always good to test out your braking system like that to make sure you know what it does and how well it performs...

BTW, I'm surprised you didn't engage the ABS on the track. Also, did you get the 355mm or 332mm BBK? And how do you like the new brakes as compared to stock (on the track)?

Like I said before. I was a total track newbie. I CERTAINLY know now, I can brake much harder, much later, the next time I track the Z.

The rotors I got were from Performance Nissan. They are the stock size, just Stoptech Slotted. (I didn't get an entire big brake package.) I LOVE the brakes. I had a LITTLE fade with my set up during the final 3 or 4 minutes of each track session, but nothing bad at all. I certainly didn't have the problems that people with stock brakes always talk about if they track the Z. I only plan on being at the track a FEW times a year, so I couldn't see spending a lot of cash on a big brake kit. I am VERY happy with what I have now. It is a Definite upgrade for a lot LESS than a big brake kit.

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...oducts_id=1363

That's about the package I got, but with NISMO Type R pads, and Super Blue fluid...

Last edited by 03 Z for ME; 08-30-2004 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:29 PM
dnguyent

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
Like I said before. I was a total track newbie. I CERTAINLY know now, I can brake much harder, much later, the next time I track the Z.

The rotors I got were from Performance Nissan. They are the stock size, just Stoptech Slotted. (I didn't get an entire big brake package.) I LOVE the brakes. I had a LITTLE fade with my set up during the final 3 or 4 minutes of each track session, but nothing bad at all. I certainly didn't have the problems that people with stock brakes always talk about if they track the Z. I only plan on being at the track a FEW times a year, so I couldn't see spending a lot of cash on a big brake kit. I am VERY happy with what I have now. It is a Definite upgrade for a lot LESS than a big brake kit.

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...oducts_id=1363

That's about the package I got, but with NISMO Type R pads, and Super Blue fluid...
I'm in the same boat at you...track newbie, and looking at only a handful of track days per year. I'm currently researching my brake upgrade options. Thanks for the tip.