Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

HKS Hypermax II adjustments. Optimum settings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:32 AM
speedform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hypermax II adjustments. Optimum settings?

I just picked up a set of Hypermax II's that came with a set of instructions written in Japanese. At the moment I have no idea where to set the damping/ rebound rates and seeing how the adjuster **** that was included in the kit doesn't indicate which way to loosen or tighten, I'm a little lost.
At the moment I have the rear damping set 8 clicks to the right and the front perch adjusted fully to the left. I currently don't have the suspension on the car so I imagine a lot of my questions will be answered once I do but I just wanted to get a head start on setup.
Also, I track the car at least once a month so any advise from fellow track demons on optimum (or at least neutral) settings for this type of driving would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2004, 06:36 PM
speedform

no one? Hmmm......
Old 10-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

His may sound a bit silly, but on the rear dampners, have you tried to turn the dial all the say in one direction and then tried to push down on the dampner piston, if it won't move, turn the dial the other way and try again? That would at least let you also know what direction to turn the fronts for softer/stiffer, just a thought. That's I helped a friend set his Tokico D-specs.

If it were me I'd try them at 25% of their 30 way settings.

BTW, I'm really interesting in the coilovers, I hope you'll talk about them once their on and you drive them for awhile.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:23 AM
speedform

Originally posted by Gsedan35
His may sound a bit silly, but on the rear dampners, have you tried to turn the dial all the say in one direction and then tried to push down on the dampner piston, if it won't move, turn the dial the other way and try again? That would at least let you also know what direction to turn the fronts for softer/stiffer, just a thought. That's I helped a friend set his Tokico D-specs.

If it were me I'd try them at 25% of their 30 way settings.

BTW, I'm really interesting in the coilovers, I hope you'll talk about them once their on and you drive them for awhile.
I'll have them on this week and will be playing with the settings this weekend at Buttonwillow raceway. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:54 PM
spf4000

HKS recommends 15 all around, but this setting is too soft for the track and too stiff for the road. I prefer to keep it at 5 when I'm just crusing around town, and set it for 25 front/27 rear when I'm at the track.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:19 AM
speedform

Originally posted by spf4000
HKS recommends 15 all around, but this setting is too soft for the track and too stiff for the road. I prefer to keep it at 5 when I'm just crusing around town, and set it for 25 front/27 rear when I'm at the track.
25/27 what? Clicks on the dial? Are there that many available? And which direction on the dial to tighten, left or right? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting that spf4000 says he runs them at 5 on the street and my hunch was to run them between 7-8, I was pretty close.

They are 30 way adjustable. From the HKS web site, "Dampening and rebound can be adjusted simultaneously in 30 different increments to deliver the desired shock compression and rebound stiffness."

spf4000 can you give me a short review of the coilovers, so far they are shaping up to be my number one choice I think. I'm mainly interesting in how they deliver in high performance terms, turn in, dive, squat, dampning performance ect. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:57 PM
daytona350z

humm, i have them set at about 17 clicks in the frond and about 18 clicks in the rear.

stiff ride, but it is bareable for me.
turning **** right--->harder suspension
turning **** left----> softer suspension
Old 10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
fluxg35

Default Re: HKS Hypermax II adjustments. Optimum settings?

i have HKS LS+ and i have 9 front 9 rear for street driving and for racing, 21front, 25rear... (This set up ish very hard and Damn stiff)
Old 10-05-2004, 08:47 PM
speedform

Thankyou daytona350Z and fluxg35. That's exactly what I needed to know. I just installed them today and played with the ride height a little. Initially I've set the height about a 1/2" lower than my previous Eibach spring setup, which was a 1" drop frt/rear. A 1 1/2" drop looks cool but in the short 15 mile loop I ran after install I managed to high-center or scrap something or other 3-4 times, so I'll be raising it up tomorrow. Also tomorrow will be a wheel alignment. I'll play with the rebound settings some more after that.
Again, thankyou for the advice.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:50 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by speedform
Thankyou daytona350Z and fluxg35. That's exactly what I needed to know. I just installed them today and played with the ride height a little. Initially I've set the height about a 1/2" lower than my previous Eibach spring setup, which was a 1" drop frt/rear. A 1 1/2" drop looks cool but in the short 15 mile loop I ran after install I managed to high-center or scrap something or other 3-4 times, so I'll be raising it up tomorrow. Also tomorrow will be a wheel alignment. I'll play with the rebound settings some more after that.
Again, thankyou for the advice.
no problem...but i would tell you to wait on the alignment for about a week. even for coilovers, the springs need time to seat and settle.
just my $.02

congrats on the buy, you have a very very very nice setup, now you need some sways to really put a handle on things.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:49 PM
speedform

I've had the swaybars on for about a year now. The car rotates very nicely on medium settings. The stock shocks worked great with the eibach springs and sways but after 32 track days they were pretty much toast. My lap times weren't to bad before and I can't wait to see how they'll improve now that I can fine tune the susp. settings. Buttonwillow this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. cheers,
Old 10-05-2004, 11:09 PM
spf4000

Because suspension tuning is a balance of a variety of factors, no one setting will work for everyone. Even if we have the same coilovers, ride height, tire size/grip, unsprung weight, alignment settings, wheel size/offset, stabilizer bar stiffness etc. will affect how the car handles. It took me numerous track days to dial in the dampeners where I like it, and it will probably require more tuning once I put on new sway bars. One thing to remember is to tweak one thing at a time so that you know what caused what kind of change.

Good luck at Buttonwillow!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:59 AM
speedform

Originally posted by spf4000
Because suspension tuning is a balance of a variety of factors, no one setting will work for everyone. Even if we have the same coilovers, ride height, tire size/grip, unsprung weight, alignment settings, wheel size/offset, stabilizer bar stiffness etc. will affect how the car handles. It took me numerous track days to dial in the dampeners where I like it, and it will probably require more tuning once I put on new sway bars. One thing to remember is to tweak one thing at a time so that you know what caused what kind of change.

Good luck at Buttonwillow!
I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:11 PM
jchen1020

Why are you all referring to LS+
I just bought HKS RS, I think that is similiar to LS + but maybe slightly differernt on spring rate. My is 448 front 448 rear. 30 way adjustable. What is the best setting for this Coilover, anyone knows?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:26 AM
JimRHIT

jchen

where did you get the RS from? How much was the cost?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-31-2005, 12:30 AM
jchen1020

Originally posted by JimRHIT
jchen

where did you get the RS from? How much was the cost?

Thanks,
Jim
Just got RS intalled. Nice ****. Nice ****.... I have 19 clicks front 14 rear, it rides like a dream. 18 clicks would be ok too for the front. I do not like them too soft nor too hard. That is where my optimo setting is, and I am race ready on the road as well.

My purchase was with hopupracing. it was 1679 shipped. Not bad. I think they are all around 1600-1700 dollars anyway.

www.i-m-racing.com or hopupracing.com

GREAT SITES
Old 01-31-2005, 01:54 PM
spf4000

Is that 19 clicks from the stiffest setting?

I swapped out my sways, so now I run 15-20 (15-10 clicks from the tightest setting) all around for the track depending on the condition of the track, and run 10 (20 clicks from teh stiffest) for the street. But of course, this all relative to the kind of rubber and air pressure I'm running.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
stx

Does anyone's HKS Hipermax or HKS coilovers actually click more than 30 clicks? I can actually click 39 times on every damper.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:11 PM
jchen1020

No, that is 11 clicks from the firmest.

BTW, yes I know. My click 33 times in front, 42 in rear. But if you read the owner's manual. It tells you. You only count 30 from the firmest point. so 11 clicks from the stiffest would be called 19 clicks. 16 from stiffest would be called 14 clicks. On owner manual, it also tells you not to set it at more than 30 clicks towards left (soft).

Hope this helps you!!!

Quick Reply: HKS Hypermax II adjustments. Optimum settings?