Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Pole Position S03 (Road Noise)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 PM
mok5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pole Position S03 (Road Noise)

I have about 5000 miles now on my S03's (19") and they are making so much in-cabin road noise, it's just intolerable. The car is lowered about an 1" and I have the 350evo A-arms to correct the camber, but the noise still "howls". Just curious if anyone else besides myself is having a tough time with the road noise. I was thinking about trying the toyo T1s. Has anyone went from the S03's to the proxies, and if so, can you comment on the road noise.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:59 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried turning up the stereo or getting an exhaust? That will fix all tire road noise Remember you are riding on sticky 19" rubber with a large contact patch. You are going to get noise.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:38 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Welcome to the sports car world....you'll get the noise with pretty much ANY 19 inch tire you run.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:56 AM
mok5

LOL!! I understand the lower profile tires will make noises, but when the cabin noise becomes intolerable to the point where you cannot hear your stereo, or your intake and exhaust, then something is not right. And my guess is, with the S03's, the way the threads are made, makes a big difference in noise. So my question still stands, anyone have any real time, in car, comparison between the T1s vs S03's??
Old 11-19-2004, 08:15 AM
King Tut

I have SP9000s and my buddy has T1s and neither of us have any tire noise issues. Has the noise gotten worse recently? Maybe you are getting uneven wear and getting the noise. Have you checked the tire tread visually?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:22 AM
azrael

The noise is transmitted into the car via the extremely stiff sidewalls. S03s have some of the stiffest sidewalls of any tire I've ever used. The tradeoff is performance versus road noise.

T1S will definitely run a lot quieter, but you'll trade sidewall stiffness (and therefore cornering ability) for the quieter ride.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:30 AM
mok5

Thanks for the replies. Initially when I first got the s03's they were fine. The big mistake I did was run with a negative camber in the front. I know for a fact the negative camber, the feathering if you will, made a hugh difference in noise, but when I finally broke down and put in the front camber kit, I think my threads were already "jacked". The noise was minimized, but still deafening to the ear. I was hoping it would take care of the noise issue, but it didn't help to much. I would most definitely trade off a little bit of performance for comfort in the ear. If you can imagine one of these hugh 4X4 trucks with hugh tires passing you, and you can hear the tire contacts, just imagine that noise outside... inside your car. That is what I hear everyday!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:12 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotate your two front tires left-to-right by swapping out the rubber on the rims.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:00 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

I have 19" S03's .. and have just started to notice increased tire/road noise at about 9,000 miles.

It's the same type of noise I had with my BS tires on my Z32TT - predecessors to the new RE01 and now RE01R. At that time, my friend who is a Nissan maintenance manager said that it was usual for these BS tires .. the outer carbon layer wearing off.

I don't know. I could be that effect together with the negative camber I am running.

Old 11-20-2004, 03:22 AM
ragtopz

Default Re: Pole Position S03 (Road Noise)

Originally posted by mok5
I have about 5000 miles now on my S03's (19") and they are making so much in-cabin road noise, it's just intolerable. The car is lowered about an 1" and I have the 350evo A-arms to correct the camber, but the noise still "howls". Just curious if anyone else besides myself is having a tough time with the road noise. I was thinking about trying the toyo T1s. Has anyone went from the S03's to the proxies, and if so, can you comment on the road noise.
i wonder if your tires are feathering? it wouldnt be covered by warranty, but you should maybe see if you are having uneven tire wear.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:28 AM
floored Z

mok5-
I went to 19s with Toyo Proxes and lowered it with Eibach's. After an alignment the road noise did return after a while due to the feathering problem but is not as loud as the stock tires. I am still hopeful Nissan comes out with a fix soon as the Toyos are expensive to keep replacing.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:13 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally posted by mok5
Thanks for the replies. Initially when I first got the s03's they were fine. The big mistake I did was run with a negative camber in the front. I know for a fact the negative camber, the feathering if you will, made a hugh difference in noise, but when I finally broke down and put in the front camber kit, I think my threads were already "jacked". The noise was minimized, but still deafening to the ear. I was hoping it would take care of the noise issue, but it didn't help to much. I would most definitely trade off a little bit of performance for comfort in the ear. If you can imagine one of these hugh 4X4 trucks with hugh tires passing you, and you can hear the tire contacts, just imagine that noise outside... inside your car. That is what I hear everyday!!!
Negative camber does NOT cause tire feathering. It will cause increased wear on the inside edge of the tire though. Feathering is caused by incorrect toe adjustment.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:22 AM
kennytb

What kind of kits are there for making the camber adjustable?Any information will be helpful! Thanks