Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

>>> Volks with satin/flat black finish owners...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
ginobetterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default >>> Volks with satin/flat black finish owners...

I also posted this in the Cleaning & Maintanence sub-forum but i know ill get more answers here.....

To fully protect what seems to be a very vulnerable finish on my new CE28N Time Attacks, i had a couple of questions...

1. What do you guys use for tire shine?? I know I have to keep this stuff off of the wheels, but some of it will inevitably get on the wheels so i want to know the specific brands of tire shine that wont hurt this finish.

I also prefer that this not be a spray on, and i also dont really want a gel, but a non-viscous substance that i can apply with a sponge or rag and then wipe off.

Also, any other tips on maintaining this Volk finish would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Yes, ive searched and read the whole "How to maintain your Volks" thread.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 AM
yusoslo

in for answers.

I have TA TE37's, I use armor all tire gel and have no issues. I also claybar my wheels to remove any brake dust, and after a wash I use MEguiars quick detailer to get them spot free.

My only gripe is the brake dust that collects behind the spokes
Old 12-11-2008, 06:51 AM
ginobetterfly

I got a really good reply in my other thread...

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
For tires I recommend the Poorboy's World Bold n Bright. It's a water based formula that is good for the tires and will not harm the wheels finish. Apply a light coating if you like a bold yet not overly glossy finish. Apply a heavy coating or a second coating if your prefer a more glossy finish. This dressing will actual be absorbed into the rubber and it also nourishes the rubber. After about 15 minutes it should be pretty dry and fully absorbed in to the rubber. Other tire dressings that use lots of silicone will often sit on the surface of the tire and can be easily slung on to the paint, wheels, etc. I pour a small amount on a tire dressing applicator and just apply a nice even coating of product. I try avoid getting the dressing on the treads or in large grooves that may trap large amounts of tire dressing.

I would clean the wheels with a pH neutral cleaner and avoid overly strong formulas. I really like the P21S Wheel Gel, Chemical Guys Wheel and Rim Citrus Cleaner and the Chemical Guys Sticky Gel Wheel and Rim Citrus Cleaner. All three of these are very safe cleaning formulas that won't harm your wheel or tires if you get some on them. While cleaning make sure you use a good sponge or towel and rinse it frequently while cleaning.

After you have cleaned your wheels I highly recommend protecting them with a coating of the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. Just hand apply one light coating and buff off the excess residue with a clean towel. The micro barrier of protection helps resist build ups and makes future cleaning much easier. Best of all the Wheel Sealant is our December special so you can get it for $11.99 instead of the regular $17.99.

We offer 10% off on all these products to forum members with the coupon code 10off350z. We also have free shipping on orders over $150 and $5 flat rate shipping on orders under $150 through December. Let me know if you have any other questions about your wheel and tire care routine.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you clean mine ?

Old 12-11-2008, 08:17 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tac-M
can you clean mine ?
]

No need to clean, they look beautiful. Shows they were doing what they were intended if you ask me
Old 12-11-2008, 08:28 AM
yusoslo

^^^ I would never use anything but soap, and that wheel sealant could very easily damage the flat finish of the wheels, i would NOT reccommend it.

Sounds like a generic sales pitch to me.

See if they gaurentee they wont damage or change the finish of $3,000 wheels
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 AM
vnarang

Originally Posted by yusoslo
^^^ I would never use anything but soap, and that wheel sealant could very easily damage the flat finish of the wheels, i would NOT reccommend it.

Lol, I thought the same thing that it was an advertisement. But I think I'm going to wait until couple more people chime in and provide their answers, or backup the claim from DI.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
folgrz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

for tire shine I use No Touch

..... good ****
Old 12-11-2008, 08:55 AM
mikez97

i use griots tire shine on my tires
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM
JSDZ33

Fikse makes some of the most high quality wheels on the market today. here are their recommendations for cleaning...

with proper care, your wheel finish can be maintained for years.

First, and most importantly, NEVER let heavy brake dust accumulate on the wheels for an extended period. Frequent cleaning is essential--much like a fine car finish. Most brake pad material becomes highly acidic when mixed with rain or water. This acidic mix of brake dust and water can damage any wheel if left on them too long.

Second, it is important to avoid using off-the-shelf "Wheel Cleaner" products which are typically designed for use on lower quality cast metals. These, too are usually far too acidic for high performance wheels. Fikse recommends a 50/50% mix of biodegradeable cleaner called Simple Green and cold water. Never use hot water on aluminum, and always let the wheels cool to room temperature before cleaning. Use a natural sable bristle paint brush (available in the paint department of most hardware stores) to clean the lug pockets and spoke corner areas.

Third, clean using this process:

1. Spray the wheel with the 50/50 Simple Green/water mix.
2. Let stand for 15-30 seconds, using the soft sable brush to loosen the dirt as mentioned,
3. Rinse with cold water.
4. Repeat this process as necessary to get the wheel fully clean.

Fourth, most of our wheels have the center section clearcoated and the rims polished but left uncoated. This means that the outer rim (if the wheel finish is TechniPolish, neither coated nor anodized) can be touch-up polished with a very fine grade metal polish.

Fifth, once your wheels are clean and dry, you may apply a very light coat of highest-grade wax to the wheels to help protect them between cleanings.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by yusoslo

i thought the same thing at first, but then again i probably wouldnt even go through him to get this stuff and just go to a store (if i can find it), and so it really wouldnt make sense for him to pitch their products on this forum and have people buy them and then come back and say "hey you f-ed up our wheels you dack!!" and no one shop there ever again, UNLESS he knows that this are mild solutions that will not damage ANY finish....
Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i wax my matte black RE30s with Mg's tech wax after each wash and use the NXT tire shine..

i havent had any problems with the finish being screwed up-
Old 12-11-2008, 04:40 PM
yusoslo

really, it doesnt take away the satin finish????
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ aka low gloss black paint....

PS what is wrong with you guys? they are painted aluminum wheels. they are cleaned just like the rest of your car. nothing special.

Last edited by Tac-M; 12-11-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
yusoslo

but I dont think there is a clear coat so I dont want to put a clear coat wax on my wheels and have the flat paint absorb the oils