I hate Murphy and his laws.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:05 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts
Default I hate Murphy and his laws.

Just need to rant.... on my own stupidity I guess...

I go to do a 10, maybe 15 minute lug nut swap from some cheap hex headed junk I had from another failed install (Volk GTC with their ever-so-fancy-needs-special-inverse/shanked-lugs-only-made-by-Rays-and-costing-me-my-left-nu..er, arm-to-acquire) to some nice new Rays lug nuts (courtesy of "Datsun", you know who you are).

On the 20th - of 20 - lug nuts, the hex tool slips in the nut and strips the hex.

The lame thing is that when I installed them two weeks ago, I felt it starting to give but had no way to just stop as I felt it start to slip at about 82# of 85# total pounds tq. Heh heh.....

Oh well, at least I got to use my handy-dandy-stripped-lug-nut-or-lock remover thingey that I bought for who knows what reason a couple years ago. Well, now I know the reason....

Mic

PS Debated on starting a thread entitled "You know what I hate about working on my cars.....?"
Old 08-25-2015, 04:30 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

that bish murphy......
Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Murphy.. that bish... lol.

Do it Mic!! Start that thread!!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:03 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Damn- I know that feeling. That special, super-duper part finally arrives and you quickly strip away the packaging to behold its goodness. You install it with all the care afforded a factory racing part and voila! Something breaks, doesn't work or isn't installed properly (double points if you did it yourself). Really a gumption sucker.

My usual response is to swear quietly and creatively. That is, unless I did it to myself, then the swearing and power phrases get quite LOUD until I settle down. Sorry to hear about those trick Rays lug nuts, Mic!
Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

That does bite a big one.

I hate Murphy, and her hide away bed 2.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Murphy can take his law and shove it up .....................

Now for the full law, you need to prove this happened at the worst possible time (ex, side of the road with no extra tools for miles, between session tire swap at track, only car and need to leave for work in less than an hour)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Damn- I know that feeling. That special, super-duper part finally arrives and you quickly strip away the packaging to behold its goodness. You install it with all the care afforded a factory racing part and voila! Something breaks, doesn't work or isn't installed properly (double points if you did it yourself). Really a gumption sucker.

My usual response is to swear quietly and creatively. That is, unless I did it to myself, then the swearing and power phrases get quite LOUD until I settle down. Sorry to hear about those trick Rays lug nuts, Mic!
Welllll, the Rays GTC lugs adorn my '03 as we speak and they work well. It's the cheap set I bought BEFORE I plunked down the c-note+30 for the correct set.

Originally Posted by jhc
That does bite a big one.

I hate Murphy, and her hide away bed 2.
John, I don't know even know what to say about your humor. Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa......

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Murphy can take his law and shove it up .....................

Now for the full law, you need to prove this happened at the worst possible time (ex, side of the road with no extra tools for miles, between session tire swap at track, only car and need to leave for work in less than an hour)
Naaahhhh, just a minor infraction this time around. In my driveway and about 10 steps away from the lug nut removal tool and impact gun.

But yeah, I'm the guy who's always prepared for on-road emergencies.... I make sure that every car I own has the proper wheel key for the locks or hex nuts and proper socket size for lug nuts. Heck, even went to HF and bought myself a new 1/2" drive extendable ratchet with 6" extension and stole one of my spare 19mm impact sockets from my tool chest to keep in the car for just such an emergency.

And then what?? The very last nut that I went to swap?!? Psh....

Dumb.....

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-26-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I had my lug key break on me once on some cheesy locking lugs that came with my car. I was using it rather inappropriately but thats besides the point. Every single one of my lug nuts required this broken key... I ended up welding the key back together taking off all the lug nuts and never using locks like that again.

But if you want to talk about a real fun time I tried to swap out my y pipe back... I failed miserably and feel like I just lost an mma fight. I did manage to rig up the axle back. Guess the rest can go in when my cats develop a hole, clog, or collapse.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:00 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Welllll, the Rays GTC lugs adorn my '03 as we speak and they work well. It's the cheap set I bought BEFORE I plunked down the c-note+30 for the correct set.

John, I don't know even know what to say about your humor. Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa......

Naaahhhh, just a minor infraction this time around. In my driveway and about 10 steps away from the lug nut removal tool and impact gun.

But yeah, I'm the guy who's always prepared for on-road emergencies.... I make sure that every car I own has the proper wheel key for the locks or hex nuts and proper socket size for lug nuts. Heck, even went to HF and bought myself a new 1/2" drive extendable ratchet with 6" extension and stole one of my spare 19mm impact sockets from my tool chest to keep in the car for just such an emergency.

And then what?? The very last nut that I went to swap?!? Psh....

Dumb.....
You do know I'm warped just a touch, haha. But I try.
Sorry for your struggles man.

Hope you got it sorted.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by jhc
You do know I'm warped just a touch, haha. But I try.
Sorry for your struggles man.

Hope you got it sorted.
If'n you weren't warped, I'd be worried and probably wouldn't get along with you. Hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

But ya, "struggles"???

Dude, if the worst thing I'm "struggling" with is stripped lug nuts, I'm living right. Heh heh.

Mic
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

when you think you got a handle on life, but life decides to throw you a curve ball. first world struggles....