Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 02:33 PM
BumbleZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as I said I would post any updates to how my recently miraculously operating convertible top was working, and unfortunately it has been operating inconsistently. About two weeks ago I tried putting the top down, and it would only partially complete the sequence and NOT lift the 5th bow frame. I tried moving the passenger seat (and drivers seat) several times and that didn't cure the problem. However, I am not sure the 5th bow frame motor is the actual problem. When I try opening the top I can hear the bow unlock latch mechanism activate, but that's where the process seems to stop. I never hear any noise or seen any indication that the 5th bow frame motor is actually activated after that occurs. And to be clear once I hear the unlock latch mechanism activate, the 5th bow frame seems to be released, because I can see the gap between top cover and the 5th bow frame open slightly when I get up to highway speed. Also, once this happens I could not get the top to fully close again despite repeated attempts. The yellow "top open" warning light stays lit, and although the top appears closed at highway speeds I can see the gap between the rigid cover and the 5th bow frame open slightly (probably about 3/8 inch gap).

Another clue is that when the top misbehaves like this, I tried reclining the passenger seat all the way back and during the unsuccessful attempted opening sequence the windows go down and the bow latch mechanism activates but it never tilted the passenger seat forward.

So fast forward to today. The car had sat in my garage for about a week, and I fired it up and gave the top opening sequence another shot and guess what? The top fully opened on the first try, and then on command fully closed normally and latched properly! So I am at a loss to explain all this. I am hoping these details might give someone out on this forum information to solve the mystery, because it sounds like several of us may be suffering similar problems and again I am not sure replacing the 5th bow frame motor would resolve my issues.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:13 AM
Jdmluck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myork
I am gonna say it has something to do with being squished flat right where I circled:
it's missing the spring
Old 05-12-2022, 05:48 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdmluck
it's missing the spring
you do realize you quoted a post from 2009... right?