Convertible Top Issue (watch video) - MY350Z.COM Forums

Old 06-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Mobi

Default Convertible Top Issue (watch video)

ISSUE RESOLVED!!!! LIMIT SWITCH!

My problem is now fixed!...it was the limit switch at the bottom of the 5th bow left driver side. two switches there..both blue with metal brackets. one of the metal brackets on the switch was out of alignment.. realigned and top is working now!

Watch my youtube video please!

Ive gonna through 20 pages on the forums and no one seems to have this problem!

Ive come to a conclusion that the Auto closure wire in the Tonneua cover will not stay in the motor. Anyone have a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated! THANKS!

The top is very stubborn when trying to unlatch and open. I have to repeatedly press the open switch 10-20 times. This is NOT a 5th bow motor problem. Eventually the 5th bow raises to let the tonneua cover free. As the 5th bow is coming down it goes further then it should and gets stuck (watch videos of properly working tops). The only way to move the 5th bow again is to unplug a gray switch and then replug it after the 5th bow rises. Once replugged the tonneua cover closes and then the 5th bow closes. A few unsuccessful things I've tried. 5th bow motor rebuild via 350z Forums. Cleaned only did not need rebuild. All motors seem to be working fine. Ive tried the service bulletin "5th bow will not close" where the lock mechanism in the tonneau cover is lubricated and the auto closure wire is twisted back into the motor (or "jumped using 12V" if it doesn't twist). Swapped open/close switchs with another Z. I did change the oem vinyl top to a cloth top but I can't see the that being the problem since the top worked perfectly fine for 2 months. Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Last edited by Mobi; 06-26-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Issue resolved
Mobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
mestisoZ

There are some things where you just have to suck it up and take to the dealer.. It looks like your 5th bow is struggling and might be going bad.. (This is the windows motor) and the others already look shot. (Rest of the top) although I could be wrong.. good luck whatever you find. I am just sucking it up and taking mine to the dealer =\
mestisoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Mobi

It not the 5th bow motor (the one in the soft top itself). I just cleaned a 5th bow motor on my buddy's Z yesterday..didn't need a rebuild. Its running like new now. So I know what a sluggish 5th bow motor is and this is not it. You can clearly see the 5th bow going up and down without a problem once its free from the tonneua cover. Thanks for the reply and I'll hold off on the dealer for now. I know there are some knowledgeable people on this forum that can help.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
mestisoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobi View Post
It not the 5th bow motor (the one in the soft top itself). I just cleaned a 5th bow motor on my buddy's Z yesterday..didn't need a rebuild. Its running like new now. So I know what a sluggish 5th bow motor is and this is not it. You can clearly see the 5th bow going up and down without a problem once its free from the tonneua cover. Thanks for the reply and I'll hold off on the dealer for now. I know there are some knowledgeable people on this forum that can help.
Any luck man?... When you say you cleaned your buddy's 5th bow did you just clean the black goop off with electrical cleaner? I am waiting for my brushes to come in to do a repair.. But if you say a quick clean worked for your buddy I might give it a try.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
myork

If I am not mistaken there are limit switches which determine when each stage of the top operates, it looks as if one or more may be bad or need adjustment. Just the fact that you can get it to work by unplugging a connector leads me in that direction.
myork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Mobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestisoZ View Post
Any luck man?... When you say you cleaned your buddy's 5th bow did you just clean the black goop off with electrical cleaner? I am waiting for my brushes to come in to do a repair.. But if you say a quick clean worked for your buddy I might give it a try.
Nothing yet...I haven't messed with it in a while..im probably just gonna end up taking it to the dealership sometime this week. summers almost over ya know!...thank goodness for my 1987 bmw e30 and its manual top! lol...as for my buddies 5th bow motor..yup just give all the black carbon dust that comes from the brushes a quick clean with electrical cleaner..if your brushes are not completely worn you should be just fine.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Mobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by myork View Post
If I am not mistaken there are limit switches which determine when each stage of the top operates, it looks as if one or more may be bad or need adjustment. Just the fact that you can get it to work by unplugging a connector leads me in that direction.
Thanks for the reply! I too think its one or more limit switches...looks like a problem between operation 6 and 7 (and/or) operation 7 and 8. But when i noticed that the auto closure wire just wont stay inside the motor that's inside the storage led..that just threw me off. I think I just have one huge mess.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Mobi

My problem is now fixed!!...it was the limit switch at the bottom of the 5th bow left driver side. two switches there..both blue with metal brackets. one of the metal brackets on the switch was out of alignment.. realigned and top is working now!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
mestisoZ

Quote:
My problem is now fixed!!...it was the limit switch at the bottom of the 5th bow left driver side. two switches there..both blue with metal brackets. one of the metal brackets on the switch was out of alignment.. realigned and top is working now!
Hey bro i think im having the same problem.. can you post some pics with the location of the limit switches?
Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #10
bvitou

Quote:
are you talking about the control box behind the seats under the lid? I can't find any switches that are blue. I replaced the brushes on the 5th bow motor and it worked great for two days and now I have the same problem your had in your video. The elastic straps seem to be in good shape.
bvitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
travlee
Master

Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,792 Posts

the OP hasnt logged onto the site for over 4 years... prob wont get an answer from him

travlee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to travlee For This Useful Post:
bvitou (08-05-2016)