Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Pioneer Nav system parts pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 12:04 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Nav system parts pics

Alright, seeing as I've been the originator of a few "How the hell do I set up a Nav in my Z" threads, not to mention a frequent question asker in all the other such threads, I figured I'd finally post some useful information. A lot of this is known, if you look in the right places, but I'll try to put it together for all the newbies, me included.

I decided on the Pioneer Nav system, primarily because it's got voice control, I like the little roadway view, and of course, it can play DVD's. In addition, there's a new DVD upgrade for it, which ups the number of POI. Incidentally, Alpine has also come out with a software upgrade. The new system for Pioneer is the AVIC-90DVD, all the hardware is the same I believe as before. You can get one of these for about $1200 from reputable places. I bought my AVIC-9DVD from a guy on ebay, obviously not the most reputable. I then realized that I would want to get the upgrade disc,
CNDV-20 upgrade disc

Obviously, I'm not saving myself any money.

As to the screens, the popular one so far is the Farenheit screen. Poweracoustik makes one also, I believe that it's the same as the Farenheit, but for the name. Microvision has one that fits, as does Alpine. I'm still not sure if anybody has used a Pioneer screen yet. The Pioneer and Alpine screens come with a built in speaker for nav command output, and at least the Pioneer one comes with a 26 pin RGB in which is how NAV audio/video is supplied from the Nav unit. You'll see how this will help you later.

Here's the Fareneheit screen I got, cost about $280. Notice it's labelled as a -7003, not the model 7001 that you want. I think this is just a labeling error. The box comes with a large remote, a cheap plastic case for headrest or sunshade mounting, red/black wires for power, and the screen. The dongle attached has four connections, for power, video in, video in and video out.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav system parts pics-screen.jpg  
Old 01-22-2003, 12:12 PM
rouxeny

Damn these pictures will be pretty small. You'll get the idea though. Unfortunately, the nav unit hasn't arrived yet (coming from France of all places, like I said, ebay - not too reputable) so you'll have to imagine it. The nav output is a 26pin RGB, which is not available in many LCD screens. As you can see above, the Farenheit accepts RCA only, thus you need a 26 pin RGB to RCA converter.

The converter plugs into the nav unit, and has 4 outputs, another 26 pin RGB, L/R RCA and a RCA video.

I bought mine from etronics.com and it was about $50-60, roughly.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav system parts pics-converter.jpg  
Old 01-22-2003, 12:15 PM
rouxeny

Now, like I mentioned before, a Pioneer screen has both a built in speaker, and a 26 pin input. So, if you fit one of those, possibly and Alpine one also, I think the 26 pin is an industry standard, you could do away with the converter box, and with the following.
Nav output has to come through a separate speaker for those of us with Farenheit screens. The speaker (IR port included) plugs into the 26 pin output of the converter box. Handy, isn't it. I'm not sure where to mount this thing. It's actually a fairly large speaker, I don't want it to look too intrusive, but it has to be somehwhere that the remote can "see" it. Any suggestions?

Again, this was from etronics.com and was about the same price as the converter box.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav system parts pics-speaker.jpg  
Old 01-22-2003, 12:19 PM
rouxeny

The final question is how DVD signals (movies!) get into the system. I'm assuming that the Nav unit also has a separate RCA left/right/video, though this seems kind of backward. If this is the case, the video should hook right into the Farenheit's second video in, and the audio will have to go through a RF modulator to the head unit. Not too neat, but it works.

I'll put up more pics as things go.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:06 PM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

Thumbs up

nice set up man, i'm thinking of doing the same, but i just brough these orange leather seats from katzkin, so i gota save some more moola. 1 question, do you have to cut the nav box to fit that screen, i really like to see some pics when you finish your system. btw are you installing the system yourself?

good luck
Old 01-22-2003, 02:24 PM
buletman

i was planning on this setup, but with the alpine tme-m760 (got much better reviews than farenheit)..i heard farenheit sucks...they are good and cheap...thats about it...but hey, i want to hear it from you when it gets set up...thanks...
Old 01-22-2003, 02:50 PM
rouxeny

There are some pics of a Farenheit installed. It fits pretty well. No, I don't plan on doing the install myself. I can cut apart human bodies, but cars, they're a mystery.

I would agree that the Alpine screen is probably better. Unfortunately, it's also a little smaller.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:24 PM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool, I been asking questions like this and someone finally did it.
I'm curious on how the quality of the Nav plays on the farenheit. From what I read/heard, the farenheit plays DVD very well. Just curious if the Nav will be readable. Most likely, I will go this route as well. At least save a few $$$ on the screen...
Well, take lots of pictures through the process and let us know how it goes!!
Old 01-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go rouxeny!

I'm anxious to see how it all comes together for ya.

And don't be reluctant to at least investigate installing everything yourself. It might be easier then you imagine, and you could save yourself a couple hundred bucks!

Keep us posted.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:46 PM
rouxeny

I'm not the first person to have done this, I'm just the first to put up some pics. From what I've heard, there are no problems with displaying NAV onto the Farenheit screen.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:28 PM
rouxeny

Hmm, trial and error. Mostly error. There are some .pdf installation and user manuals on the Pioneer website that are very educational. You need to register and log in before you can get to them, but it's pretty painless. I've so far learned that I probably did not need to buy the converter box, as one is included with the AVIC-9DVD. Now, it's not included in the AVIC-90DVD, I'm not sure why. If that's the case, I'm going to have one 26 pin RGB to RCA converter box for sale in a few days. The other thing I've found out is that the nav only has five plug in points. There's the power/speed sensor, the mic, the GPS sensor, QUE if you get it, and the aforementioned 26p RGB. There are no RCA ports, so you use the converter box to supply the one RCA video and RCA left and right. That make sense? Which leaves my video screen with one left over video in.....hmm.

Questions that remain, where to mount the speaker/IR, the GPS and the mic. I assume the mic goes on the sun shade. I'll probably end up with the GPS on the rear strut brace, it's definitely NOT going outside the car.

Updates as I get more stuff.

Installing it actually doesn't look impossible. I need to get a wiring diagram of the Z, it would help if somebody who was at least vaguely knowledgable was around to help. I think that actually taking apart the rear would be a little terrifying.

If I do end up with a self-install, it'll have to wait until the weather is better.

Oh, final question, does Nissan sell the mounting hardware they use for their Nav system?

Last edited by rouxeny; 01-22-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Zman

I am thinking of the same set up, rouxeny. You must be a surgical resident . What made you choose the Farenheit over the Pioneer screen...is it simply the bigger size. Are you keeping the base head unit.

I can't wait to see the end result. If you are planning to install them yourself, I hope you share with us the process and obstacles.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:35 AM
qirex

Originally posted by rouxeny
There are some pics of a Farenheit installed. It fits pretty well. No, I don't plan on doing the install myself. I can cut apart human bodies, but cars, they're a mystery.

I would agree that the Alpine screen is probably better. Unfortunately, it's also a little smaller.
hehe what do you do? the general?

p.s. the nice thing re the alpine tme650 is that it has THREE additional inputs besides the NAV. One has an auto-sensing activation for reverse (backup cam). Yes its 6.5" but it still fills the hole really nice. I'm sure you've seen my pics.

Another thing to consider with the pioneer - I *think* that the DVD outpiut wont work if you only have one screen mounted in the front. I'm not sure how this is done, but its something I heard while deciding btw the alpine and pioneer.

Either way, good luck - post pics!
Old 01-25-2003, 09:09 AM
rouxeny

Don't anybody hold your breath for install pics. I am still pretty far away from that day (days). I still haven't received my NAV unit (from France) and I'm debating whether I should just go for it and install speakers and an amp at the same time.

As it stands, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea for me to install the system myself. That's mainly because I have no idea how, and I'm not cocky enough to think that I could figure it out. Well, actually, I'm pretty sure I could, but it would take a long long time and I'd have a big bandage on my head from banging it against the wall.

The specific parts that worry me are the electrical wiring, locating the correct wires under the dash, running the nav and video cables, then taking apart and hopefully putting back together the front and back. I guess that basically adds up to the whole thing. I'll have to see how much it would be for some local shop to do it for me.

I picked the Farenheit because it was 1) cheaper, 2) bigger. I'm not sure how a Pioneer screen would fit, I think somebody has done it, but he hasn't stated if he had to cut anything, and there aren't closeups of the install. The Alpine screen does fit very well and if I'm unhappy with the farenheit, I'll probably end up using that.

Another question. What sort of mounting brackets did people use in putting the nav unit in one of the mail box slots behind the seats? It looks like there's a horizontal beam the unit actually sits on, and then two vertical sides that it's attached to. Courtesy parts sells the sides, something similar comes with the Nav unit anyways, but I'm not sure if I need to find/make that horizontal piece.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:33 AM
vicmar90

Andrew, your setup looks awesome. Can't wait to see it installed. I wish I could help but that is way too big of a project for me plus I get scared with electronics as one wrong connection and you can blow everything. Good luck and keep us posted.
Victor
Old 01-31-2003, 03:19 PM
rouxeny

The saga continues. I have received my Nav unit from France. Viva La France! Even though they don't like Lance much, I guess there's more to them than fries. Here's a big box from the country of wine and cheese, and nav systems.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav system parts pics-whiteboxsmall.jpg  
Old 01-31-2003, 03:24 PM
rouxeny

The contents of the box include the following.

Starting from upper left, going clockwise

- GPS sensor (in plastic wrap)
- Small speaker (exactly the same as the one I already bought! Doh!)
- Mounting brackets for the nav player
- Gigantic bird's nest of wires, all neatly labeled. Fuses and most connectors in place
- Convertor box (one comes with AVIC-9DVD, not with -90DVD, of course, I already have one of these also)
- Small microphone for voice commands
- Kind of cheap feeling remote
- Batteries/holder for remote
- Nav unit itself with version 1.1 of nav disc (new one is out)
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer Nav system parts pics-stuffsmall.jpg  
Old 01-31-2003, 03:39 PM
rouxeny

I called up my local Tweeter's to see about installation. They don't install stuff they don't sell. Oops. Also, they quoted approximately $200.

I'm very very interested in trying to do this myself. I've learned a lot from the various installs here and I think with the help of some people on this board, I could get it done.

Like I said earlier, I'm confident I can take apart the center console.

Scafremon's center console removal technique

I have a good idea of how to mount the screen, and even how to reroute the IR so I don't have to do any cutting.
Tips on installation of Farenheit monitor
No-cut re-route of IR receiver

Mounting of the nav unit can be accomplished either with the original mail box slot or with the brackets that courtesy parts does sell.

My big problem now is with wiring. My understanding of the Z's electrical wiring is limited at best. I have the service manual, but I can't make head or tails of most of the wiring diagrams. Specifically, I need to know the following.

- How do I find the car speed wire? What's the best place to get to it?
- Where is the handbrake lead? I assume it's by the handbrake, once the console is off, I hope I can find it.
- Are there easier places to access the backup lamp lead than at the rear lights?
- I need a power lead that is always on. How would I best connect the nav portion of the wire to it? The above three wires have built in splicers, the below wires are just free leads.
- I need the wire which is one with ignition, and again, the same question as above.
- Lastly, how do I identify the lighting wire?

Again, these are pretty basic, dumbass questions, but I'm a pretty basic dumbass when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope we can get this to be the definitive nav installation thread.

Thanks! Andrew

Last edited by rouxeny; 01-31-2003 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:42 PM
rouxeny

Oh, by the way, if anybody is contemplating doing this, and wants to get the newer nav version (-90DVD), I now have both a convertor box and a nav speaker, both new, for sale.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:08 PM
buletman

rouxeny (sp?) i want the pioneer nav as well, but I heard you can only watch dvds if you have 2 or more screens, for safety reasons, do you know a way around this? and for the 90, not 9, does it not come with anything else besides the converter that comes with the 9? thanks alot bud

Quick Reply: Pioneer Nav system parts pics