Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

True type deforming rear mounting area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 12:16 PM
yangs s14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True type deforming rear mounting area?

Hey guys, I have bought true type coilovers and spl toe arms to adjust toe. With that being said, I'm not going rollcage yet because I still daily it (for now). I have been doing a lot of reading, and have heard about the rear turret (coilover mounting area) getting deformed with hard driving without reinforcing the rear turrets, but none have seen it first hand. So I'm curious as to this issue, if it's true, how fast of a rate would it deform? How would I go about reinforcing that area without the use of a welder(probably not possible I'm assuming )?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:57 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Good question. People say its possible but i havent seen any cases nor have anyone come forward showing what they did to reinforce the area.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Have not seen or heard of on having problems yet. In all actuality the area of the unibody where the springs are normally mounted are not very reinforced either.

My car has been setup as a true coilover setup for the past 5 years. No issues, I do have a roll bar that is mounted to the upper strut area. I highly doubt it is helping at all.
The following users liked this post:
yangs s14 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 AM
yangs s14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, what kind of roll bar do you have? or custom? where did you mount it to?
Yah it mainly seems like speculation.....no ones seen it first hand....
Old 01-20-2016, 08:36 AM
Nabush

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really, what is the benefit of theses true rear coilovers on the rear compared to the standard coilovers which use OEM spring location ?

The rear shock mounting area is not calculated to have all the suspension loads here...No wonder it can be damaged if used so...
Old 01-20-2016, 12:22 PM
nizmo_0385

Simplicity.
Being able to tune the suspension with a toe rod. My spc toe bolts in oem location where nearly maxed out without me even being real low. Higher spring rates. Im sure theres more. Like we say people say it but no one has proven or shown any proof of deformation.
Originally Posted by Nabush
Really, what is the benefit of theses true rear coilovers on the rear compared to the standard coilovers which use OEM spring location ?

The rear shock mounting area is not calculated to have all the suspension loads here...No wonder it can be damaged if used so...
Old 01-20-2016, 05:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by nizmo_0385
Simplicity.
Being able to tune the suspension with a toe rod. My spc toe bolts in oem location where nearly maxed out without me even being real low. Higher spring rates. Im sure theres more. Like we say people say it but no one has proven or shown any proof of deformation.
I would have had the SPL spring bucket if it wasn't back ordered for months when I did my current suspension build. I do like not having any eccentric bolts.

Higher spring rates, I don't think you know what your talking about.

Being so low your way out of adjustment, well handling doesn't matter at that point, really the chassis doesn't much either.

Originally Posted by yangs s14
hmmm, what kind of roll bar do you have? or custom? where did you mount it to?
Yah it mainly seems like speculation.....no ones seen it first hand....
kirk 4 point, nothing special. Nothing designed to strengthen that area.

Last edited by terrasmak; 01-20-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:30 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have engineering friends that works at Nissan - Smyra and Canton...

The Z was designed for both true and its current oem set up.....either is fine...

At one point in the 350z design process the shocks that would be sold with the track model were going to be adjustable front and rear shocks but cost was the factor that negated that....so the Z was sold with nonadjustable suspension.

hence, look at the uni-body section, there is a round depression in the steel stamped unibody at the strut tower with a hole at the center....this round depression was meant to be the adjustment **** mount location.

You can see the depression in this pic:
16832ff0.jpg?t=1283525958

For example the nissan race z is true coilover...there are pics of it, i forget the name of the car...

another one:
ive mentioned this before, but the hood prop was a fix..the z was supposed to have hood gas props, look at the hinge, look at the squiggle mount, it was intended to have gas props like titan, armada, etc, they all have that same design squiggle in the hinge to mount a ball stud......

I mounted mine on that very squiggle mount by drilling and tapping and using a zerk fitting, the ***** on zerk fittings are 10mm and work just like a ball stud. They are shorter height and fit and clear the fender with gas props. i need to update my hood prop diy thread with that info.

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 01-30-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:15 PM
nizmo_0385

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA

The Z was designed for both true and its current oem set up.....either is fine...

At one point in the 350z design process the shocks that would be sold with the track model were going to be adjustable front and rear shocks but cost was the factor that negated that....so the Z was sold with nonadjustable suspension.

hence, look at the uni-body section, there is a round depression in the steel stamped unibody at the strut tower with a hole at the center....this round depression was meant to be the adjustment **** mount location.

For example the nissan race z is true coilover...there are pics of it, i forget the name of the car...

another one:
ive mentioned this before, but the hood prop was a fix..the z was supposed to have hood gas props, look at the hinge, look at the squiggle mount, it was intended to have gas props like titan, armada, etc, they all have that same design squiggle in the hinge to mount a ball stud......

I mounted mine on that very squiggle mount by drilling and tapping and using a zerk fitting, the ***** on zerk fittings are 10mm and work just like a ball stud. They are shorter height and fit and clear the fender with gas props. i need to update my hood prop diy thread with that info.

-J
Thank you sir!
Solid information!

@terra I was mis informed on the spring rates.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:22 AM
LowPhats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-J
The Nismo 380RS-C,the pics never get old. Just for reference ... http://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=33998&st=0

Last edited by LowPhats; 02-01-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

fk I love that car...i like the hydraulic on board air lift for changing tires...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-05-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:38 PM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

another one:

-J
Do you know if the newer models like 370z and G37s were setup similarly to have the impressions for more reinforcement? I was thinking about going with the true style on my g37 but don't want to bend it

And what do you mean they were going to come with and adjustable option? What would Nissan do with the rest of the suspension like the spring bucket