Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Ran into this issue during coilover install

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:58 AM
magellster

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ran into this issue during coilover install

Sup peeps, was going to install my coilovers yesterday and started with the rear. Took everything off/ apart and the last part of disassembly I went to take the spring out of the spring "basket" and could not get it to come off. I figured out the issue is the Borla exhaust I have sits further towards the edge of the car than stock exhaust, so the spring basket can't be lowered far enough down to where I get get the spring out before it catches on top of the exhaust.

I had a spring compressor that I tried to use in order to just compress the stock spring enough to pull out without having to drop the basket down low. That didn't work either because I can only get one spring compressor on while its in the basket due to limited space. Any suggestions or will I need to completely remove my exhaust in order to install this?

I also noticed my exhaust on the passenger side of the car actually sits over the sway bar so I will more than likely will have to remove the sway bar in order to get the exhaust off in order to get the spring basket off....

Does anyone have any suggestions for taking the spring out without doing all of this? If not, my 2-3 hour job just turned into an all day affair.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:02 AM
magellster

And yes, I do have a new bushing to replace the one leaking on my rear diff cover.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:22 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

take the exhaust on drivers side down, get a dead blow hammer and hit the bucket...i have even stepped on the bucket to get it to go down. you will need an alignment after so it doesnt really matter if you make it go out of adjustment
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
Cux350z (08-26-2016), magellster (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 04:28 AM
magellster

Well, its the same issue on both sides of the rear except one can come down since its under the sway bar and the other sits on top so I'd have to remove everything to get it down. You're saying there is no work around and that I will just have to bite the bullet and take off the exhaust?

The issue isn't the bucket not coming down, I can get it down but the exhaust piping is in the way so it only comes down a few inches before its sitting on top of my exhaust.

Last edited by magellster; 08-25-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:40 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

yeah, you should be able to just remove the piping from behind the resonator to the muffler
The following users liked this post:
magellster (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:22 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I have the same exhaust and I dont remember having any issues with it... Ill tell you how I did it if you would like, but it wasnt anything special.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:27 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I removed the one non eccentric bolt on the bucket... Used a spreader clamp to push down on the bucket so I had a bit of clearance... Managed to wiggle out the bottom rubber spring seat... Once that was out I could get the spring out... Removed the top seat, putting the new ones in their was no clearance issue's...

The front on the other hand was a *****... I took a grinder and cut the spring in half. Then took it out... I didnt have spring compressors, I used cargo straps and erwin clamps to help me with compression needs... Good luck
Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I removed the one non eccentric bolt on the bucket... Used a spreader clamp to push down on the bucket so I had a bit of clearance... Managed to wiggle out the bottom rubber spring seat... Once that was out I could get the spring out... Removed the top seat, putting the new ones in their was no clearance issue's...

The front on the other hand was a *****... I took a grinder and cut the spring in half. Then took it out... I didnt have spring compressors, I used cargo straps and erwin clamps to help me with compression needs... Good luck
I've never used a spring compresser on a 350z , never had the need. Just push down and start by hand