Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Considering buying a 2005 Z that has a catless exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Harrisonbh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering buying a 2005 Z that has a catless exhaust?

Hello, I'm not really sure where to post this, if there is a better place, please let me know.

Anyways, I'm interested in this 2005 350z, it has about 66,000 miles on it and it has an "aftermarket catless exhaust." Now I'm pretty sure this is 100% illegal. I live in Arkansas, we don't have to have mufflers, but we DO have to have catalytic converters.

I've heard that it could potentially cause problems down the line. Is this true and if so should I even consider the car? The person selling the car doesn't know about it since she bought the car with the catless exhaust already installed.

I also talked to my brother who said that it might be a federal offense to have no cats or something like that. Also that if I did get the car, I'd have a problem finding someone to install them. Is that true? Or do you all know what the cost might be to get some installed?

Thank you and sorry for all the questions. I'd rather be safe than sorry and buy a car with a lot of problems down the line.

----
Also, the car has racing seats that would need to be replaced at some point, any suggestions on comfortable replacements, as this would be my daily driver.

I attached a picture of it as well. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Considering buying a 2005 Z that has a catless exhaust?-00v0v_7hiovlkkgw5_600x450.jpg  
Old 12-24-2014, 08:47 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

First rule of running test pipes, don't talk about test pipes.

Try the regional section about your local laws
Old 12-24-2014, 09:10 PM
Harrisonbh

Originally Posted by terrasmak

Try the regional section about your local laws

Where is that? On the forum or just google local laws about catalytic converters/test pipes and all?
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrisonbh
it has an "aftermarket catless exhaust." Now I'm pretty sure this is 100% illegal. I live in Arkansas, we don't have to have mufflers, but we DO have to have catalytic converters.

I also talked to my brother who said that it might be a federal offense to have no cats or something like that. Also that if I did get the car, I'd have a problem finding someone to install them. Is that true? Or do you all know what the cost might be to get some installed?
Having catalytic converters is federal law so your area shouldn't matter. A lot of states still don't require federal inspection so people get away with replacing their catalytic converters with a straight through pipe known as "test pipes" to gain better performance and less restriction.

In the old OBDI* days (prior to 1995 in most cases), there was only one oxygen sensor that monitored your air/fuel ratio. It then sent those inputs to the engine computer to determine ideal operating conditions. The oxygen sensors were usually placed before the catalytic converter, so altering or changing components on your exhaust further downstream; past the oxygen sensor- didn't change the inputs or the way the engine behaved.

With modern cars (OBDII**) and emission systems, there are oxygen sensors in, or just after catalytic converters. By removing or gutting the cats, the o2's will see an increased airflow rate and assume the cat is damaged or missing and throw trouble codes (check engine light).

Some companies have resolved this by backing the oxygen sensors out of the exhaust stream to "trick" the o2 sensors into thinking the catalytic converters are still in place (restricted exhaust flow). Results are mixed and check engine lights can still persist.

If the car doesn't have any CEL's and you don't have state inspections, it's likely the car will run fine without issue. But it's something to think about. Purchasing high flow catalytic converters would most likely be your least expensive solution, totaling about $350+ for the pair, plus an hour or two of labor to install. OEM or OEM style aftermarket catalytic converters will be pricey.

Here is a diagram to better illustrate what has been changed on your car.

Also, the car has racing seats that would need to be replaced at some point, any suggestions on comfortable replacements, as this would be my daily driver.
You can buy stock, used replacement seats locally at scrap yards or if you're lucky enough, on a craigslist part out thread. Alternatively they can be picked up on Ebay in most trimmings (leather, cloth, power, non) for anywhere between $300-700 for the pair. Install is straightforward provided your car still has the factory seat rails.

*On Board Diagnostics 1
**On Board Diagnostics 2

Last edited by n0smoke; 12-24-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

One point I see missing from this discussion is what the OP stated in his original thread: Arkansas "does require cats". The question then becomes, does that state have an emissions test? If so, you'd need a set of cats to pass it and get the Z registered in the first place.

At least, that's how it works in my part of Colorado. The other thing to know is that unless the Z33 you're considering has been specifically tuned for the cat-less exhaust, it won't really affect the performance.

Last edited by dkmura; 12-25-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:36 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not buy. Having a cat is a federal law. You will not pass inspection and more so if you get pulled over and a cop sees you are looking at a HUGE fine.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:36 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

And what is the price of the Z?
Old 12-25-2014, 10:19 AM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

In CA, you can't even sell the car without having a passing Smog Cert within 90 days of the sale date (meaning CATs are a must). Probably different in Arkansas, but I would stay away or try and work a deal out with the seller to get CATs installed on the car pre-sale.
-Icer
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 PM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

I bought my car with resonated test pipes and it was finally caught during my latest inspection 5 years later. I never had any CEL lights and most inspectors either didn't care or didn't know what they were looking at so I always passed. If you do buy the car, just be prepared to have extra cash or catalytic converters on hand for the day you do get caught.

Last edited by AdvanZ33; 12-25-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:45 PM
FairladyBlue

it depends.. i like that yellow z, so personally i would buy it and install some cats if that's what i had to do.. if i didn't feel like getting cats installed i wouldn't buy it. sound reasonable?
Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 AM
ti837

I think it depends if your getting the car at a good price. I run test pipes on my car and have never had a problem with it but when I do go for my inspections I do have to reinstall my OEM cats. You can always find a used pair of cats on the market forum if you do buy the car
Old 01-13-2015, 03:12 AM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Haggle the price let him know it will cost several hundred dollars to install new cats. Dont worry about the federal offense cops dont chase around catless cars. U can always go to a gas station and get a inspection sticker regardless of your cat. so u should be good.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:44 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

its only illegal if you get caught, hell i sold my z with test pipes and too dark of windows..... but i also know a inspector that will overlook those as long as there is not a cel light on
Old 01-13-2015, 03:57 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't know we could advocate the violation of federal laws on this forum.

Buy a car that works within the legal framework. Or, if you have no conscience and guilt does not dissuade you, put on some slicks, run without a cat, and dump your oil in the drainage ditch. Who cares, right?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

really dude.. how many of us here are running test pipes... tons of threads on ART pipes hmmm.. i guess we should all confess and go to jail...
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
I didn't know we could advocate the violation of federal laws on this forum.

Buy a car that works within the legal framework. Or, if you have no conscience and guilt does not dissuade you, put on some slicks, run without a cat, and dump your oil in the drainage ditch. Who cares, right?
From what I can tell, most of the posts in this thread were intended to be informational.

I'd hardly compare running a car without catalytic converters to that of dumping your oil in a drainage ditch...
Old 01-13-2015, 05:47 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you possibly get us a photo of under the car to see exactly what the setup is?

State of Arkansas might not have a emissions test for smog but you might not pass inspection. I am not 100% sure so you should check with the DMV to confirm.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by n0smoke
From what I can tell, most of the posts in this thread were intended to be informational.

I'd hardly compare running a car without catalytic converters to that of dumping your oil in a drainage ditch...
Pollution is pollution and the law is the law. It's pretty cut and dry.

If running without a cat is illegal, shouldn't we use the same guidelines we use for things like street racing and speeding? ie, we don't support it.

It's fine for track cars where the same laws don't apply, but for street driving? Seems irresponsible to me.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

but track cars (ie dragsters) would pollute alot more in a quarter mile than a little 3.5 liter motor would probably do all day
Old 01-14-2015, 11:07 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

If there is no cel then you're fine. /end thread

Quick Reply: Considering buying a 2005 Z that has a catless exhaust?