Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

13.9 Bone Stock Auto Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 06:56 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 13.9 Bone Stock Auto Z

I was at Atco Raceway today and finally got into the 13s. With a 2.0 60ft got me 13.9. Other run was a 2.1 60ft which got me 14.0
Old 04-26-2004, 09:42 AM
JonsilvZ

Oh I had a little more then 1/4 tank of gas and the spare in. When I got 14.0 I power braked at 2k rpm which made me spin. 13.9 was at 1200rpm. How can I get a 1.9 60ft from stock tires?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:10 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
Oh I had a little more then 1/4 tank of gas and the spare in. When I got 14.0 I power braked at 2k rpm which made me spin. 13.9 was at 1200rpm. How can I get a 1.9 60ft from stock tires?
Nice times, especially for an auto. Puts all those non-driving 6-speed owners to shame. What is the highest you can powerbrake an auto Z? If you are trying to get a 1.9 60ft, I would say try to launch as high as possible with your tire pressure lowered to about 27psi. Find the optimal rpm/psi combo on your launch and you will be ok.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:31 PM
bhk1004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice nice I ran a 13.9 stock, well I had a injen intake which most people here dont even consider a mod since they swear up and down it lowers HP. Anyways nice run. I have NOS in my car now... havent taken it to the track yet. Hopefully ill be able to hit 12z when I which up the jets to 125 shots.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:52 PM
JonsilvZ

Oh another thing my tires were at 34psi. No wonder traction sucked!
Old 04-26-2004, 06:59 PM
lemieux

how in the world did u run a 13.9 bone stock. i have an auto with r/t cats nismo exhaust and injen intake. i ran a 14.26 and a 14.23. although i have 19" wheels and didnt heat them up or lower pressure. im mad pissed at my ties
Old 04-26-2004, 09:33 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I ran 7 runs of 14.1. I took 12secz's advice and heated up my tires at 26# hot.
Did the whole water thing too.(with street tires) It hooked up better than I have ever hooked up and ultimatly was runner up in the sport street class and the first Z to trophy at Infineon/Sears Point.
It is only a short time until I hit the 13's at this rate. Sure is a nice feeling! Thanks max!
Old 04-27-2004, 11:03 AM
JonsilvZ

Originally posted by lemieux
how in the world did u run a 13.9 bone stock. i have an auto with r/t cats nismo exhaust and injen intake. i ran a 14.26 and a 14.23. although i have 19" wheels and didnt heat them up or lower pressure. im mad pissed at my ties
Believe me I was getting 14.0-14.1 all day at LI Motorsprts this yr. Traction sucked. Atcos track was pretty sticky but 13.8 is possible with a 1.9 60ft! Like I said my Z is bone stock to the filter!
Old 04-27-2004, 03:31 PM
jackie chan

Originally posted by JonsilvZ
Believe me I was getting 14.0-14.1 all day at LI Motorsprts this yr. Traction sucked. Atcos track was pretty sticky but 13.8 is possible with a 1.9 60ft! Like I said my Z is bone stock to the filter!
do a nice little burnout, you dont need to use the water box. I say a 5-8 sec and then go longer if needed. As far as launching, if the track is good flash the converter, dont stall it up. if you hook the car will cut a 1.9 no problem.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:35 PM
da_cheif

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tricks for the drag striptheas

Heres a trick i used with my automatic trans NHRA record holding 68 cobra jet

got what we called a line lock...a switch on the shifter that when pushed the front brakes wood hold the lock when you pressed on the brake peddle....then as you watched the crondeks with your foot off the brake but the front brakes locked with the line lock switch....you nail the gas on the next to the last light which set your rear wheels spinning then at the right moment release the switch an you launch like a rocket....did wheelies all the time doin that......also....lowering the rear end ratio to about 5 to 1 is a necessity....and with the auto...you short shift the 1st 3 gears....never let the 1st and 2nd gear wind past 4 k ....gear the rear so you are goin thru the traps over 6 grand...as i recal the line lock switch kit came from Holley
Old 05-03-2004, 12:24 AM
ragtopz

is it faster to stay in full auto or to manually shift?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:24 AM
typeR

Default Re: tricks for the drag striptheas

Originally posted by da_cheif
Heres a trick i used with my automatic trans NHRA record holding 68 cobra jet

got what we called a line lock...a switch on the shifter that when pushed the front brakes wood hold the lock when you pressed on the brake peddle....then as you watched the crondeks with your foot off the brake but the front brakes locked with the line lock switch....you nail the gas on the next to the last light which set your rear wheels spinning then at the right moment release the switch an you launch like a rocket....did wheelies all the time doin that......also....lowering the rear end ratio to about 5 to 1 is a necessity....and with the auto...you short shift the 1st 3 gears....never let the 1st and 2nd gear wind past 4 k ....gear the rear so you are goin thru the traps over 6 grand...as i recal the line lock switch kit came from Holley
no offense but that **** may work for your cobra jet but. ... unless you wind out the Z you're gonna go slower rather than faster...every time
Old 05-07-2004, 04:26 PM
JamRWS6

Default Re: Re: tricks for the drag striptheas

Originally posted by typeR
no offense but that **** may work for your cobra jet but. ... unless you wind out the Z you're gonna go slower rather than faster...every time
your are correct...that technique will not work for ANY modern street driven car....today's cars make their power up top.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:44 PM
da_cheif

..it s the torque curve you play to win drag races.....horse power gives you the top end once your into the last gear......over winding in 1st gear will kill you....sorry...but been there done that....manual shift the auto.....try it then you will see......play the torque...use the torque to get you to where the horse power takes over.......get into the last gear as fast as you can.....bang that sucker...and to get it all...lower the rear end ratio enuf so your at 7 k thru the eyes......best of luck
Old 05-07-2004, 06:46 PM
da_cheif

Default Re: Re: Re: tricks for the drag striptheas

Originally posted by JamRWS6
your are correct...that technique will not work for ANY modern street driven car....today's cars make their power up top.

fast doesnt win drag races......qwik is wat wins them.....theres a difference.....quick gives you the ET.....fast gives you MPH....ET wins the race.....
Old 05-07-2004, 10:28 PM
JamRWS6

..it s the torque curve you play to win drag races.....horse power gives you the top end once your into the last gear......over winding in 1st gear will kill you....sorry...but been there done that....manual shift the auto.....try it then you will see......play the torque...use the torque to get you to where the horse power takes over.......get into the last gear as fast as you can.....bang that sucker...and to get it all...lower the rear end ratio enuf so your at 7 k thru the eyes......best of luck
These cars are NOT 500 ci V8s......hell if you drove like that in my car get ready to run a 14 second pass....you would be shifting at 5K RPMs and get LEEEEEEEFT in the dust.

On a car that makes a bunch of torque down low, sure drive it that way. On a 350Z or a LS1 or ANY modern car, if you don't wind it out you will be slow. I don't care how much you think you know it is proven fact if you aren't stretching every gear you will be S L O W>.

Also if you manual shift a LS1 auto be prepared to run SLOWER.

This is not old school drag racing with 4000lb big bodies with big blocks in them and 600lb ft of torque down low.

Anyone who decides to follow you advice would wonder why their car is sooooo slooooow.

And like i said winding out an engine that makes NO power up top is sure as hell going to hurt your times.....but when you have a powerband that is up TOP that is where you keep it......my car makes OVER 300 RWHP from 4600 RPM and up....if you don't keep it up there you will be dog **** slow.....plain and simple.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:21 AM
da_cheif

of course you keep it up there.....getting up there as quickly as possible is a product of gearing......and without proper gearing it takes longer to get up there...i promise you this.....somebody with a lower rearend ratio will be much quicker than those with a stock ratio....shifting before the top of the torque curve will keep the car accellerating in each gear....over windiing each gear puts you past the torque curve......you do that and your et.s will suffer....as for the difference between a cobra jet and the z......its all relative.....they all react the same......covering the first 50 feet faster than your competiition is where the race is won....but holding the gear too long the guy next to you will catch you if he short shifts..........next time you go to the strip.....experiment with short shifting and let the last gear wind out...i think you will be pleased with the results....if not ....let us know......thanks buddy and the best of luck to you.....btw....anybody ever change the rear end ratio that you know of?????
Old 05-08-2004, 01:57 PM
JamRWS6

of course you keep it up there.....getting up there as quickly as possible is a product of gearing......and without proper gearing it takes longer to get up there...i promise you this.....somebody with a lower rearend ratio will be much quicker than those with a stock ratio....shifting before the top of the torque curve will keep the car accellerating in each gear....over windiing each gear puts you past the torque curve......you do that and your et.s will suffer....as for the difference between a cobra jet and the z......its all relative.....they all react the same......covering the first 50 feet faster than your competiition is where the race is won....but holding the gear too long the guy next to you will catch you if he short shifts..........next time you go to the strip.....experiment with short shifting and let the last gear wind out...i think you will be pleased with the results....if not ....let us know......thanks buddy and the best of luck to you.....btw....anybody ever change the rear end ratio that you know of?????
Just so i know where you are trying to go what kind of tire are we running.....if street tires that gearing will EAT YOU ALIVE.

In case you didn't know HP is a product of TQ over time....you want to keep the revs in your powerband not peak torque. Using your logic of shifting in the torque curve I would be shifting my car at 5K RPMS......be prepared to run 14s in a high 12 second car.

Covering the first 50 ft faster doesn't win the race if you have the HP to run them down. Ask ANYONE who is driving a latemodel car how they get their fastest times.....they will ALL tell you a rev limiter launch on slicks and shifting at redline is how they do it.....and if they don't they don't have the ***** to do it or can't get it to hook up.

Reguardless I have been to the strip many times and have a big pile of timeslips and running a car with an engine designed for upper RPM HP you shift at redline....or you lose.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:11 PM
jackie chan

um i dont shift at redline. the proper statment is to determine which rpm to shift at, to keep your car at the highest average power levels through the gears
Old 05-08-2004, 11:45 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by jackie chan
um i dont shift at redline. the proper statment is to determine which rpm to shift at, to keep your car at the highest average power levels through the gears
b/c your car doesn't make its peak HP all the way to redline