Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil temperature sensor...where to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temperature sensor...where to put it?

So I have searched and all that good stuff and I digested it all down to a few options:

-Take oil pan off and have a plate welded to it so I can have some material to drill and tap. Con of this approach is that welding my warp the pan and ruin the sealing surface.

-Put a T fitting in on the oil pressure sensor. Con of this is that I already have a T fitting on there for my turbocharger supply line. Not sure if it would be such a wonderful idea to put another T on there. Too much Teflon tape and places for leaks to form.

-Oil filter sandwich plate. I don't really like this idea because it involves buying some eBay junk which may or may not work. I am getting at the fact that I really do not like messing around with the oiling system too much. No oil = boom boom.

-Oil pan spacer. Too much money for very simple machine work.

So in conclusion, the oil filter sandwich plate may be the best bet but I am weary of picking up some eBay junk which may put my oil system in jeopardy. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Also another thing to think about, where do I actually want to measure the temperature. On ships we look at the temperature going to the equipment rather than the outlet temperature for normal everyday stuff. I think the same is true for automotive equipment as well...
Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greedy Oil sandwhich.

Although, easiest and best would probably be a Greddy,JWT,PE Oil Pan spacer for more capacity and sensor bungs.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

The sandwich is looking more and more attractive. The spacers are nice but I think I can get away with and end up with less hassle with a sandwich. Thanks for the reply
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
iStan
ZR

The only thing, if you don't have a oil pan spacer, it may be a good idea to get one. The additional oil would not be a bad thing for FI Zs. Plus the sandwhich makes it a little more difficult to add an oil cooler, whereas the pan spacer does not interfere.

Stan- Oil Cooler Sandwhich and JWT Oil Pan spacer.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Good point. Why do you say the sandwich makes it a little more difficult to add an oil cooler?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM
iStan
ZR

Because the lines that run to the cooler are normally attached at the oil filter location
Oil Cooler Sandwhich Adapter
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by istan
Because the lines that run to the cooler are normally attached at the oil filter location
Oil Cooler Sandwhich Adapter
Gotcha. Would T-ing off the return from the oil cooler before going into the sandwich not work then?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:15 AM
iStan
ZR

For a sensor? I believe it would. The thing with that, your temp readings will be lower than actual because the oil has been cooled.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

For a sensor? I believe it would. The thing with that, your temp readings will be lower than actual because the oil has been cooled.
Right, so you think then that the sump temp is the most important because that is the temperature of the oil going to the engine components?

I figure the best I can really hope for is a reference point. From said reference point, one can determine an abnormality.

If something significant happens I figure it will show up in smoke or loud bangs before I notice the oil temp. I could be wrong.

Anyway, something to think about
Old 10-17-2007, 11:38 AM
iStan
ZR

I don't think there really is a wrong answer. But I think trying to measure a hotter oil temp and using that as reference may help identify a problem before you get there. That's what we hope anyhow.

Oh, the Greddy and PE oil pan spacers are also heatsinked for more cooling as well.

GL with whichever route you go.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I don't think there really is a wrong answer. But I think trying to measure a hotter oil temp and using that as reference may help identify a problem before you get there. That's what we hope anyhow.

Oh, the Greddy and PE oil pan spacers are also heatsinked for more cooling as well.

GL with whichever route you go.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 AM
iStan
ZR

WTF, no one else has any opinions?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

well I ended up picking up a Mocal thermostatically controlled sandwich plate. For now, I am going to put the oil temperature sensor in there and when the summer comes around and an oil cooler becomes necessary I will buy an oil pan spacer(or make my own) and put the sensor there.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:30 AM
iStan
ZR

My Mocal cracked during install
Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

My Mocal cracked during install
maybe I will have better luck. From all accounts, it seemed to be a nice piece. What part cracked?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
iStan
ZR

If I remember correctly, when we were installing the fitting, we kept leaking, so we kept tightening until it finally cracked the hole
I went with the summit one afterwards and had not compaints. Just becareful when tightening and you should be fine
Old 10-20-2007, 10:56 AM
arizzee

Just saw this thread - I'd recommend the JWT spacer for two reasons: 1) added capacity; and 2) lowering the oil pickup. Keep in mind that the oil temp reading from there will be the hottest temp the oil will see as it has yet to go through the stock oil cooler.

I'd also recommend an additional oil cooler. I'm positive that you'll be surprised at just how hot your oil is running after just a little spirited driving.

I'm running a Setrab 19 row cooler with the Mocal adapter but Earls and Mocal make nice cores also. On the Mocal adapter cracking, just make sure the gasket is placed correctly and don't over torque it.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I put the mocal plate on and so far no leaks that I can see. Even as cool as it is right now outside, I was surprised to see oil temps above 200 degrees. I am thinking an oil cooler in the near future is not a bad idea.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Another Thing To Consider:

What is the length of your oil temp sending unit...the probe itself....mine is 1.2 inches long and its normal 1/8NPT. but it wont fit in an oil cooler sandwich plate.

I'm forced to have to install it in an oil pan spacer!

Just FYI...

- J
Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Mine might have been that long. Not really sure what the problem with that is. My sandwich plate has the sensor to the side so it isn't in the way of anything. You can buy reductions or whatever you need to make it fit in the sandwich plate.