Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What is the best clutch replacement for street use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default What is the best clutch replacement for street use?

After reading the recent threads about “clutch-slipping,” I have a question:

What is the best clutch replacement (all components) for street use?

OEM Nissan stock?... Aftermarket?... If aftermarket, what are the choices (and, advantages/disadvantages of the available products)?

Please don’t tell me to search. I did that. There is a lot of debate on this, and a lot of the information from a search is old stuff. I’m sure there are new options. The recent discussions here indicate just that. I bet our vendors (a valuable resource on this Forum) have some ideas.

--Spike
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the clutchmasters stage 4 clutch/aluminum flywheel...it has a spring hub so it works great on the street but it can hold over 500ft lbs of tq.. easily for drag!!...gl with ur decision....
Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much power are you putting down? Are you NA or FI?

For street use, you should look for organic pressure plate and clutch material for better feel. There are tons of options. "Best" is an opinion: ACT, Fidanza, JWT, etc., plus a ton of jdm offerings (OS giken, orc, exedy, etc).

When replacing the clutch, you should also replace the flywheel. A lightweight flywheel will allow your revs to rise and fall faster, but may also cause a bit of nvh
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 AM
malized

Thumbs up hi

Originally Posted by Spike100
After reading the recent threads about “clutch-slipping,” I have a question:

What is the best clutch replacement (all components) for street use?

OEM Nissan stock?... Aftermarket?... If aftermarket, what are the choices (and, advantages/disadvantages of the available products)?

Please don’t tell me to search. I did that. There is a lot of debate on this, and a lot of the information from a search is old stuff. I’m sure there are new options. The recent discussions here indicate just that. I bet our vendors (a valuable resource on this Forum) have some ideas.

--Spike
hi, hru ? my Z is still stock i was looking for some clutch but after a lot of research i decide to go for ''SPEC CLUTCH STAGE 2+'' It's a very nice clutch also for daily driving and can support >500bhp ...
Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 AM
THE TECH

I like my Nismo setup. Drives like stock but can handle plenty hp for most people.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:54 AM
malized

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I like my Nismo setup. Drives like stock but can handle plenty hp for most people.
100% BUT can't handle like SPEC or ACT .... but i put SPEC because i should start my new TT project .... BUT IF UR CAR IS N/A so go for NISMO CLUTCH
MY FRIEND have nismo clutch on vortech 400bhp ...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by malized
100% BUT can't handle like SPEC or ACT .... but i put SPEC because i should start my new TT project .... BUT IF UR CAR IS N/A so go for NISMO CLUTCH
MY FRIEND have nismo clutch on vortech 400bhp ...
Well it just depends on what you are doing. The Nismo can handle what 99% of owners on this forum have.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 AM
xav_350z

/\ +1
i have the nismo clutch and im happy with my setup.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NISMO is nice, a bit grabby, but a nice setup - their flywheel is overpriced and too heavy

I'm partial to ACT - for reasons I've posted many times before
Old 11-13-2007, 01:59 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I luv my os giken STR twin clutch setup. Its sintered bronze and nearly indestructible!
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM
punish_her

It all depends on what your intentions are. The most common setup is a lightweight flywheel to reduce rotational mass and help rev quicker. The clutch you want depends on your power level and use. Some use organics for NA, Carbon/Kevlar organic composits for midrange mild FI, Multiplate to multiply friction force, Cintered metalics (bronze or iron) for HIGH friction heavy torque high FI.

This isnt a hard fast rule because other factors come into play like sound, engagement, driveability, and the fan boy effect (prefrence of one brand over another).

Best thing to do is sit down and plot out where you want to be and what power you plan on putting out and what you intend to use it for. Then go from there.

I personaly went with the LV5 SPEC 6 puck solid hub clutch with a cintered iron clutch plate and high clamp force. Im using it for multiple application: drag, road work, verry spirited driving. End goal of 600+WHP tune in progress.

Last edited by punish_her; 11-13-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks guys. It’s gratifying to ask a question (a thread start) and receive useful responses from some of the most accomplished/knowledgeable members on the Forum.

Here’s my issue: I just hate how slowly the engine revs rise and fall in the Z (I have a stock 2003 Performance model with no performance mods). The slow rpm drop is particularly annoying (Corvette and Porsche do not suffer this complaint). I was blaming this on the engine-design, but recently drove a Z equipped with a Nismo clutch/flywheel replacement, and it was so much better than the stock Z. That is what prompted my question here… thinking the Nismo replacement will certainly work well, but there is probably equivalent and even better aftermarket solutions.

Great responses… I appreciate this. Now I know there are solutions to my problem. Obviously I need to do more research.

And... this last msg. is not meant to be a thread-stop. Any additional comments and advice are very welcome.

--Spike
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

do a jim wolf technology clutch/flywheel....affordable and great if u will stay na....
Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 PM
punish_her

Originally Posted by eltness350
do a jim wolf technology clutch/flywheel....affordable and great if u will stay na....
+1

Good for over 400whp easy. I liked the flywheel so much I kept it when I switched clutches.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:21 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

+1 This is what I'm doing, also a friend of mine did the same on his 300ZX TT and felt 10,000 times better than his stock, but also can handle the addtional power, if you decide to build some on your engine. Myself, Vortech S/C and it's plenty for that. I have presently NISMO Header, CAI, and Catback exhaust, which is great to me also. Yes NISMO and JWT are the two ways I look at for most items, but then I'm not a power nut either, so it just depends on your future planning, but both are good and cost effective. When the GTR comes out, then that's another story of course, 2nd year, not first.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:20 PM
team1320350z

what do you guys think about clutchmasters stage 3 with act prolite flywheel. i have an 05 z with intake, exhaust, test pipes, kenetix plenum, and want to get 100 shot plus tune my utec. think its a good choice? ive been looking for clutch/flywheel combos fo the past 3 weeks.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

Originally Posted by team1320350z
what do you guys think about clutchmasters stage 3 with act prolite flywheel. i have an 05 z with intake, exhaust, test pipes, kenetix plenum, and want to get 100 shot plus tune my utec. think its a good choice? ive been looking for clutch/flywheel combos fo the past 3 weeks.

stay with the same brand when u do clutch/flywheel combo...it will save u from a bunch of headaches....
Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
soleil
NolaZcc

not to hijack spike....will the jwt combo handle 400-450hp?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

The JWT clutch and flywheel is basically a stock clutch and a Fidanza flywheel. If you want a very drivable setup that can easily handle some big numbers down the road, I say go for the Competition Clutch Stage 4 clutch and flywheel. I have it and i have almost 390whp and it never slips. Its very easy to drive on the street, the clutch is a little more aggressive in nature, but only slightly so. The flywheel is about 13~lbs I believe and with this on the car, the engine revs up much quicker and easier, and drops revs much faster too. Forged gave me a great deal on mine, so it's something I would consider.

JWT is an ok unit, but highly overrated if you ask me, and considering its a stock clutch, I'd say a little overpriced.

Last edited by JAM3Z; 01-12-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:25 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by soleil350z
not to hijack spike....will the jwt combo handle 400-450hp?
Definitely not what I would use with a 450whp setup. I say go for the Carbonetics double or triple plate clutch if you're looking to go top of the line. If you're wanting something a little more affordable, I say go for the Competition Clutch Stage 4 Clutch and Flywheel.

Quick Reply: What is the best clutch replacement for street use?