Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Is JWT a sound company?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 06:33 AM
dr_gallup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is JWT a sound company?

I just saw that Nov Road & Track did a short comparison of 350Z aftermarket tuner cars. The MotoRex car with JWT cams, pop charger and lightened flywheel beat all the others in 0-60 including the Stillen supercharger and Greddy twin-turbo. So I checked out their web site. Unless I'm missing something there is nary a mention of the 350Z and it looks like it hasn't been updated since sometime in the last century. Maybe they are harder at work on new products than their website but it is hard to believe they are a sound company if they can't afford to hire some highschool kid to update their site. Anybody have any idea what their cams are? Their own design or just reselling the Nismo stuff? I'm familiar with the pop charger but it seems to be about the worst intake out there since it is not a CAI. I'm really hesitant about dropping large amounts of cash with a company that seems like a backyard opperation. My experience with the aftermarket is that most products are woefully under engineered with significant design flaws and poor to no quality control. Tell me I'm wrong about JWT.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:03 AM
FLY BY Z

All I know is that JWT is not a sound company. They make performance parts for the Z and I think other cars too. You might be thinking of JBL or JL or something. Those are sound companies. Hope this helps. I know this was no help.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:52 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com

Site hasn't been updated for ages.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:11 AM
GregV

Default Re: Is JWT a sound company?

Originally posted by dr_gallup
I just saw that Nov Road & Track did a short comparison of 350Z aftermarket tuner cars. The MotoRex car with JWT cams, pop charger and lightened flywheel beat all the others in 0-60 including the Stillen supercharger and Greddy twin-turbo. So I checked out their web site. Unless I'm missing something there is nary a mention of the 350Z and it looks like it hasn't been updated since sometime in the last century. Maybe they are harder at work on new products than their website but it is hard to believe they are a sound company if they can't afford to hire some highschool kid to update their site. Anybody have any idea what their cams are? Their own design or just reselling the Nismo stuff? I'm familiar with the pop charger but it seems to be about the worst intake out there since it is not a CAI. I'm really hesitant about dropping large amounts of cash with a company that seems like a backyard opperation. My experience with the aftermarket is that most products are woefully under engineered with significant design flaws and poor to no quality control. Tell me I'm wrong about JWT.
Jim Wolf Technology is a sound (strong) company. JWT is not a re-badger of Nismo products. JWT does alot of R&D work, dyno tuning race cars, and some 1 off stuff. The website isn't too important to them, and their business numbers have been going up steadily, so they concentrate on new product and research. I have been happy with all products from JWT on my SE-R, Altima 3.5 and 350Z. Hell, I'm putting 260 WHP in my Altima thanks to JWT product. The pop-charger is a worthwhile addition to your car. A year ago we dyno'd Injen, AEM and the JWT popcharger and the popcharger consistantly put down more.

Last edited by GregV; 10-23-2003 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:35 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Rumor has it they might be coming out with a chip for our Z? Anyone want to comment if you know something more than I do?
Old 10-18-2003, 11:38 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by zland
Rumor has it they might be coming out with a chip for our Z? Anyone want to comment if you know something more than I do?
next year
Old 10-19-2003, 10:32 AM
spazpilot

Originally posted by zland

Not only a chip, but they are also in the process of a TT and some cams. They also have the Popcharger which like was said puts down good numbers. They are one of the Z's largest performance builder.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Re: Is JWT a sound company?

Originally posted by GregV
A year ago we dyno'd Injen, AEM and the JWT popcharger and the popcharger consistantly put down more.
Would love to see the dyno charts as proof.

No one has ever provided proof, would really love to see.

And what does the "we" mean in the sentance?
Old 10-19-2003, 08:42 PM
GregV

Default Re: Re: Re: Is JWT a sound company?

Originally posted by Gcoupe35
Would love to see the dyno charts as proof.

No one has ever provided proof, would really love to see.

And what does the "we" mean in the sentance?
We means myself and staff from NissanPerformanceMag.com. The write ups are in the Project 350Z section. I'm very happy as a parts seller to be able to observe and participate in these tests. They allow me to find the parts that make the most power and to invest my company's money wisely. And building a project car gives us access to test it as well. Want to know how the Z with a Nismo R tune setup drives like on the streets and how it handles at the track? Call me and I'll tell you about it.
But in response to thread, I kick those guys in the *** all the time to get going on it, I want it for my car, , but conveniently the system supplier is the guy with the other guys. But understand this, When Clark and Jim get this thing going, noone will be able to tune a Z better.
Maybe I'll call again in the morning...
Old 10-19-2003, 08:53 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Background information:

Greg races Nissans and sells parts. He works at Mossy Nissan in Oceanside and they have a 350Z project car as well as an Altima. In addition, Greg races his own SER that is built for track racing. Both project cars are built NA. All mods have been dyno'ed thus verified hp gains. You can see the baseline dyno and hp gain per mod.

I was at the track with him this past Friday. If you are into Nissans then Greg is a great resource. How many other guys do you know sell Nissan/Nismo, build project cars at their dealers, verify every mod with a dyno, and will give you test rides as well of those products? I am into verifying claims and you should be too. If you doubt his claims, drop on by, he can show you how he verified them. did you also know Greg has had several exhaust on the project Z already as well as going from Eibach, then to Nismo suspension. Both tested at the track. In addition, he drove my Z with the prototype B&D springs on it. When he talks about performance, it is more than a sales pitch, it is from his experiences on the track comparing more than one product.

Just be careful who you are being critical with because Greg is one of the best friends we have of all of southern California Nissan dealers. The only other one that stands out like him is Jeff at Performance Nissan to my knowledge. I am not sure if he is actually racing his Z yet or not.

Last edited by zland; 10-19-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very reputable company, especially in the SR20 community. For FWD and Silvia conversions they set the bar for knowledge and tuning, based in large part on Clark's ability to completely re-tune USDM and JDM ecu's for just about any modification or power output. I really hope they can have the same success with the VQ series.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:29 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

JWT is very well respected by the 300ZX community at z32.org and twinturbo.net as well.

They're an R&D/Manufacturer that sells their products to stillen and nissan. Their stuff generally get rebadged. They're working on some aggressive cams and an ECU which have not been officially announced yet, but may possibly be sold as a package.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:48 AM
dr_gallup

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
http://www.jimwolftechnology.com

Site hasn't been updated for ages.
They would do themselves a favor if they either took that site down or updated it. Looking at the site made me think they were either on the verge of bankruptcy or just very incompetent.